Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Holding Back a New U.S. Mile Record?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobguild76 View Post

...they need to train for and run more DL type races, and get used to going out hard and still finishing well.
    No one is turning down a DL spot, and those are the only races that are "DL type" races. You know, 1:52 at the half.

It's a U.S. miler's dream for them to get a spot on the DL start line. I'm pretty sure none of them are happy running the Sir Walter Miler or the Brasschaat meet at a track with four rows of aluminum bleachers (wait, that's where Webb ran 3:46...) when they could be lining up in Monaco or Paris.

As for training, I don't think any athlete is saying, "Hey, coach, I ran 3:37 last year, let's shoot for 3:36 this year, whaddaya think?" I'm convinced that THEY think they are training hard and doing everything they can. Whether that's actually the case is another story.

Maybe it's just a question of talent? No one would argue that Webb was a generational talent, all of the scrutiny surrounded life choices and coaching. Maybe we just don't have the talent. Probably the three biggest talents now, Teare, Hocker and Nuguse, were all injured this year missed the meat of the season so we'll have to wait until next summer to see how they do.

Comment

Originally posted by Steele View Post

Maybe it's just a question of talent? No one would argue that Webb was a generational talent, all of the scrutiny surrounded life choices and coaching. Maybe we just don't have the talent. Probably the three biggest talents now, Teare, Hocker and Nuguse, were all injured this year missed the meat of the season so we'll have to wait until next summer to see how they do.
      This year's 3:46 was run by a guy who was running what at age 18? 3:52 and 3:31 I think. That's where the next great miler will likely come from. Someone in that range.

Comment

No mention of a guy who ran 3:34 last year in HS (Kessler) or a HS athlete this year, Cade Flat at 1:46. Or Gary Martin. The talent is there. Will they find the right coaching and have the desire to pursue it?

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
          Maybe Americans are finally joining the civilized world and focusing on the right distance. (i.e. 1500m)
          Good point, though the 1500 record is also ancient..

Comment

Webb’s mile mark converts to 3:30.1 for 1500 and only two Americans, Lagat and Maree, have ever run faster than that, so it’s not like Americans are managing it at 1500 and simply not getting the chance to do it in a mile race. Only four of the all time US 1500 top 10 marks have come since 2007.

Comment

This all in the "one athlete" factor.

Comment

Working...
              X