Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F1 has "Drive to Survive" - How would you promote athletics ?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 has "Drive to Survive" - How would you promote athletics ?

Formula One has greatly benefited from the positive coverage and reach from "Drive to Survive " .
    Particularly in attracting new viewers .
    How would you promote athletics ?
    Some ideas - obviously the above format works - even if some of the rivalries are artificially created they create a storyline that people can relate to - plenty of characters in athletics that people would enjoy following - so IAAF need to be proactive and approach streaming services .
    World Athletics are doing a superb job streaming major meets - but the site needs to expand .Every national organisation able to provide a YouTube channel showing their domestic meets should be encouraged to do so - using an easy to follow interface .
    Athletes willing to promote themselves through social media should be encouraged - again using a single interface .
    A "Where are they now " feature should be established - with past champions and leading athletes telling their stories .
    The sport really needs a dedicated site where fans can follow athletes .
    As athletics is still a minority sport - athletes should be given guidance as to how to approach the mainstream media - with stories , background information - and ideas how to be invited on TV on shows not related to athletics .
    Any thoughts and ideas of how to promote our sport ?

Originally posted by PaulThomas66 View Post
    Some ideas - obviously the above format works - even if some of the rivalries are artificially created they create a storyline that people can relate to
    That's the singular key. Most fans don't understand the real significance of the numbers, but they sure understand
    USA vs. Jamaica, USA vs. Europe, USA vs. the World.
    with a little 'fun' education, they can be taught the individuals. The USA has an abundance of great mSprinters and up-and-coming wSprinters - actually we have stars in almost every event, m&w.
    There are 2 primary components to meet promotion
    1. Target a specific audience and get the word to them - this is age-group, HS, and college teams. Real fans already know about the meet.
    2. Build rivalries among the competition. Make them up among the key athletes if you need to. It doesn't need to be a death-grudge-match, but make it significant.
    Last edited by Atticus; 10-05-2022, 06:12 PM.

Comment

One idea- work with some other "like minded" sports (swimming, xc ski, speed skating, etc) to create a content channel that could be packaged and offered at a reasonable price on streaming services. Peacock is a great deal for fans of the big meets, but a year round package might help get new "crossover" fans. I enjoy watching some of the other "timed" sports every 4 years (I also live in Korea where you can't help but watch short track) And would probably watch more in a package, so perhaps we could 'convert' more fans from other sports to the superior sport of T&F. Oct/Nov is when short track starts to heat up at the elite level, fun to watch when T&F is 'off season.'

Comment

Excellent idea - I am not expecting big budget coverage - would be more than happy with a basic level .
        There are sports such as handball , volleyball and gymnastics which would not be viable as a single sport paid streaming service in most countries - but would be attractive as a package .
        Even if the sports are shown live in the home nations - and not made available until days later on the streaming service - this would still be attractive .
        Tik Tok. and similar social media have enormous reach and impact - sports organisations have to encourage their athletes to provide content to promote the sport .

Comment

I think these are all good ideas. But we should always keep in mind, at least when comparing to other sports: T&F essentially encompasses multiple sports under 1 umbrella. The Hammer/100m/Triple Jump will all be viewed and and received differently when talking about promotion.

Comment

Agreed - just wish that for people who follow or want to know more about the hammer - that the IAAF had a site which
            A - Gave links to athletes social media
            B- Had a dedicated YouTube page with contests - coaching - interviews and stories of previous champions .
            This is very doable and inexpensive - just needs a team of people with the vision to organise the information - and the enthusiasm to promote the sport .
            Does not have to be super professional - just easy to navigate - could quickly grow in to a very useful resource for athletes and fans .

Comment

Originally posted by PaulThomas66 View Post
              Agreed - just wish that for people who follow or want to know more about the hammer - that the IAAF had a site which
              A - Gave links to athletes social media
              B- Had a dedicated YouTube page with contests - coaching - interviews and stories of previous champions .
              This is very doable and inexpensive - just needs a team of people with the vision to organise the information - and the enthusiasm to promote the sport .
              Does not have to be super professional - just easy to navigate - could quickly grow in to a very useful resource for athletes and fans .
              This actually already essentially exists via athleteBiz, but basically has gained very little, if any, traction over the years and I dont think is active any more: http://www.athletebiz.planitstage.com/athletes

Comment

Originally posted by DET59 View Post
                One idea- work with some other "like minded" sports (swimming, xc ski, speed skating, etc) to create a content channel that could be packaged and offered at a reasonable price on streaming services. Peacock is a great deal for fans of the big meets, but a year round package might help get new "crossover" fan.
                We used to have a cable channel that showed a variety of Olympic sports year-round. It just closed last week because of low viewership.

So now the FIVB World Championship is on an on-demand TV. It would be on Olympic Channel if it still existed.

Where to watch the Women's World Championship | volleyballworld.com

Olympic Channel's Track & Field Weekly show also had interviews of past and present athletes that were quite interesting. I think the show itself still exists (I saw a preview of the next show last week). But I have no idea where I can see it now.

Comment

This may be of some relevance, the trailer for Mondo’s new documentary: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ciz8k...on_share_sheet

Comment

I can't say 'Drive to Survive' makes me excited to watch F1. It sounds more like a government campaign to combat driver fatigue.

Comment

F-1 is the newest chic trend. We have an event that many want to try it at least once in their life, Marathon. Promote marathon day all around the world with races in major cities on that day.
                      FYI, No one beside us hard core fans care who wins the race in 2:03 or 2:30. Us mortals can not imagine running 3.0 min/km for 42 km.

Run 100m race on grass during half time in football games.

I always loved the street races but there was not any in England this year. Was queen death had something to do with it?

Question: My daughter ran Hershey meets for longest time but they stopped sponsoring T&F for young kids. Bring it back please!

Comment

A no-brainer starting point would be to have TV feed cameras on the two biggest American stories at the Chicago marathon today. We got a couple of minutes of Sisson from 100ft up in the air just minutes before the finish, and zero on Conner Mantz.

What we did get was a ton of Chepngetich running all alone with a pacer, and the men's lead pack. That leaves the announcers desperately trying to fill air time about runners that, let's face it, only the hard-core running fans know about (and they probably know more than the announcers do). Plus the obligatory cuts to man-on-the-street interviews.

The Sisson and Mantz stories are compelling, had a happy ending, and are American (in an American race being broadcast for free in America). It doesn't get any easier or better for road running, at least in the U.S.

If the broadcaster and race organizer combined can't pony up for a couple more moto-cams, well, it's going to be a long climb out.

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                          Olympic Channel's Track & Field Weekly show also had interviews of past and present athletes that were quite interesting. I think the show itself still exists (I saw a preview of the next show last week). But I have no idea where I can see it now.
                          I've been wondering about that myself. The show aired on Fridays on Olympic Channel. The network went off the air on a Friday night before I remembered to watch the latest episode.

When I looked for an alternate source I couldn't locate anything, including on their Instagram account. They had been updating that account every week with info regarding the next episode. They stopped with the Chris Nilsen episode in late September and haven't offered any type of update.

Comment

Originally posted by GHM View Post

I always loved the street races but there was not any in England this year. Was queen death had something to do with it?
                            I don't think they've been any since Covid hit.

Comment

Working...
                            X