Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WA threatening NCAA?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post

    Most other countries are having no problem with this. Getting the meets added to the WA calendar is not hard if your federation approves you to do it, or if a competent federation is handling it.
    does WA expect every 2-3rd tier meet to get on the calendar? Is this a tact to get funding to manage incoming data? I can imagine the work load would be crushing.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Dave View Post

      does WA expect every 2-3rd tier meet to get on the calendar?
      Yes. If they want their marks to count at the international level.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by DET59 View Post
        In the 2010/20's, what world record could have or might potentially be broken by an NCAA athlete? Has anyone been close? Maybe Sydney as a freshman could have run a 52.3... Anyone else?
        Trayvon Bromell, Athing Mu and Sean Burrell have all had U20 records set at collegiate meets rratified. IIRC, when Mondo Duplantis competed at LSU while in high school and college, there were certain meets that meet officials made arrangements to have USADA testers on standby when Mondo was going to attempt a U20 record.

        Comment


        • #49



          WA does not recognise these events but yet they wrote an article about it?

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by El Toro View Post
            This is the most annoying thing to me.
            All it's going to do is undermine the IAAF data as the "source of truth", well, at least post-2001 truth, and just create a further load of discrepancies between them and other list publishers. It's not as if paying a sanction fee magically improves the reliability of the performance data or compliance with IAAF rules.
            This is EXTREMELY annoying to me.
            We'll do some work-arounds and eventually things will converge again, but for now, the 'World List' at the WA is NOT the World List, and that's a big problem for rankings and eventually WC spots.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Juicy News View Post
              https://worldathletics.org/competiti...russell-alfred


              WA does not recognise these events but yet they wrote an article about it?
              This is pure comedy🤣

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Dave View Post
                ....However, if it only costs $25 to register a meet, that doesn’t seem too onerous.
                I don't want to be the source of bad information, so I won't cite any numbers, but I've heard that after various interested parties have dipped their beaks the cost is significantly more than that.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by gh View Post

                  I don't want to be the source of bad information, so I won't cite any numbers, but I've heard that after various interested parties have dipped their beaks the cost is significantly more than that.
                  The cost for an American collegiate meet is significantly more because they also have to get a sanction, which costs more than $25, a lot more if it is a large event.

                  With a sanction, you can accept the insurance, which is a problem because these events already have their own insurance coverage, or you can waive the insurance, but USATF charges extra for that and from what I am hearing, you have to get your other insurer to add USATF to the policy which may cause problems.

                  And then of course there are all sorts of additional last minute fees which are going to be a kick in the pants for meet directors trying to do the right thing that USATF knew about months ago but failed to inform them of.

                  So I mean yeah, for a European meet the additional cost is $25 or so, for a large US collegiate indoor meet trying to scramble to get sanctioned at the last minute, it could be thousands of dollars.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by gh View Post

                    I don't want to be the source of bad information, so I won't cite any numbers, but I've heard that after various interested parties have dipped their beaks the cost is significantly more than that.
                    Sadly, this is not a surprise.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                      With a sanction, you can accept the insurance, which is a problem because these events already have their own insurance coverage, or you can waive the insurance, but USATF charges extra for that and from what I am hearing, you have to get your other insurer to add USATF to the policy which may cause problems.
                      Although not a lawyer, I deal with business insurance all the time. Yes, the business world is sometimes different from the university or non-profit world, but it seems odd that USATF would need to charge extra for using your own insurance to cover the event. Yes, USATF would require that they are indemnified, and being added to your policy is a normal part of that process. Most liability policies for enterprises that involve interactions with the public allow additional named insureds (such as USATF) for no extra cost, and any competent broker can issue a certificate showing that within 24 hours.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post

                        Although not a lawyer, I deal with business insurance all the time. Yes, the business world is sometimes different from the university or non-profit world, but it seems odd that USATF would need to charge extra for using your own insurance to cover the event. Yes, USATF would require that they are indemnified, and being added to your policy is a normal part of that process. Most liability policies for enterprises that involve interactions with the public allow additional named insureds (such as USATF) for no extra cost, and any competent broker can issue a certificate showing that within 24 hours.
                        I don't understand charging more to waive insurance either, am I interpreting this wrong?



                        WAIVED INSURANCE FEE


                        The USATF national fee for all sanctioned events that elect to waive USATF liability insurance will be 25% of the National sanction fee, not to exceed a total charge of $1,000. The association fee will remain unchanged provided the fee does not exceed 2/3 of the national fee charged.

                        ​

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post

                          The problem is that none of this is leading to rule books or anything else being in sync, it just ends up looking like a cash grab by USATF instead of an opportunity to move toward getting everyone on the same page.
                          Well, that's always the case. Max gotta get paid.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Oh man, I forgot that adding a USATF sanction to a college meet opens up a whole can of worms with SafeSport...

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              In the 60s, didn’t congress step in to cleanup a fight between the AAU and NCAA?

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Dave View Post
                                In the 60s, didn’t congress step in to cleanup a fight between the AAU and NCAA?
                                It was 60 years ago this month that the AAU and NCAA submitted to arbitration in the hands of Douglas MacArthur, who had been suggested to both parties by President Kennedy. Congress did nothing until 15 years later.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X