Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP Bob Hersh

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
    Walter, is there any chance that you have the photo of the two after the race, all smiles and arms around their shoulders? It's classic Scott and classic Bob, and would be great to share.
    Clipped from Walt's newsletter

    DavisHersh.jpg

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Walt Murphy View Post
      Bob often dealt with serious issues within the sport, but he also knew how to have fun.
      Walt's observation rang true for me, although I did not know him well. For someone whose position and influence in the sport could easily lead to a big ego or power trip, I always found Bob to very open, kind, helpful and jovial. The sport was well served for many years by a man who paired high intellect and integrity with a true love of track & field.

      Comment


      • #33
        Another Bob memory:

        In the late 1980s and 1990s, I was the USATF Law & Legislation Chair, Bob was General Counsel, and Peter Alkalay was the Outside Corporate Counsel.

        In every odd-numbered year we had a package of about a hundred bylaw & regulation amendments to consider at the Annual Meeting after Thanksgiving. Sometimes, there was important stuff such as in 1989 when in the aftermath of the Ben Johnson scandal, we put together the first out-of-competition drug testing program anywhere in the world. And in the post-Ollan year of 1999, we got a restructuring passed that shrunk the USATF Board shrunk from 94 to 29 persons and actually created divisions including the High Performance Division for the elite side of the sport.

        In the odd-numbered years, the Law & Legislation Committee would meet on an October Weekend to start working on the package for the Annual Meeting. Since Bob, Peter, and I all worked in mid-town Manhattan, we would meet for lunch during the week before the weekend and I would brief them about key items in the package. We would do lunch at Rusty Staub’s restaurant and actually met Rusty once or twice.

        We had great conversations. Bob was on the IAAF Technical Committee and would give us the latest international news, and we would pass along to each other info in those days before email and the Internet became popular. Bob had an excellent sense of humor particularly when he was relaxed. I recall one time that we were so engrossed in conversation that we started walking out of the restaurant without paying the bill. We were so embarrassed that the waiter ended up getting a very big tip!

        Very good memories!

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
          Walt's observation rang true for me, although I did not know him well. For someone whose position and influence in the sport could easily lead to a big ego or power trip, I always found Bob to very open, kind, helpful and jovial. The sport was well served for many years by a man who paired high intellect and integrity with a true love of track & field.
          So true. I didn't know him super well or anything but worked for him as his spotter whenever he announced at Duke. We always had dinner together during those meets and I just remember laughing a lot and having really enjoyable times with him.

          Comment


          • #35
            A nice funeral service with about 200 attendees. USATF. President Vin Lananna said a few words and Duffy Mahoney read a USATF proclamation. Of course, many T&F people in attendance. Louise Hersh welcomed everyone to start things off and then walking to the steps from the podium said she needed to use Roger Bannister. The Cantor then asked if Roger Bannister was someone in Track & Field!

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post

              ......Jefferson Buffalo was a name I recall being associated with Bob back in the '80s. I think it might have been a Public Address inside joke, kind of like the names Bart Twirrell and Dr. Raymond Racubion used in announcements by Scott Davis.
              Bob didn't do silly in his announcing. Jefferson Buffalo was a persona he created for T&FN's letters to the editor in the '70s.

              I'm not familiar with Bart Twirrell, but Dr. Raymond Rakubian was in use by Dick Bank (and later Stan Eales) in the '50s and '60s. As was Carl LaFong, a WC Fields character. I believe Rakubian is also an obscure movie reference.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by gh View Post

                Bob didn't do silly in his announcing. Jefferson Buffalo was a persona he created for T&FN's letters to the editor in the '70s.

                I'm not familiar with Bart Twirrell, but Dr. Raymond Rakubian was in use by Dick Bank (and later Stan Eales) in the '50s and '60s. As was Carl LaFong, a WC Fields character. I believe Rakubian is also an obscure movie reference.
                See also Egbert Souse, who was paged at more than one Southern California track meet both by Eales and Davis. Bank wasn't announcing meets anymore by the time I was paying attention, but I suspect he originated that one too- Bank was a huge WC Fields fan.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by gh View Post
                  I believe Rakubian is also an obscure movie reference.
                  D.O.A.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Dilan Esper View Post

                    See also Egbert Souse, who was paged at more than one Southern California track meet both by Eales and Davis. Bank wasn't announcing meets anymore by the time I was paying attention, but I suspect he originated that one too- Bank was a huge WC Fields fan.
                    That one makes complete sense, since Fields played that character in 1940's The Bank Dick.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by gh View Post
                      I'm not familiar with Bart Twirrell
                      Neither was Cordner Nelson, according to cigar95.

                      Bam is likely the person most knowledgeable, according to this post.



                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by gh View Post
                        Bob didn't do silly in his announcing. Jefferson Buffalo was a persona he created for T&FN's letters to the editor in the '70s.
                        Wow, I never realized JB's identity had ever been revealed. Scott knew, but wouldn't tell.

                        I'm not familiar with Bart Twirrell, . . . .
                        Twirrell was one of Scott's common references. He was a hammer thrower with the "US Special Forces". As for the origins, that I don't know.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by gh View Post

                          Bob didn't do silly in his announcing. Jefferson Buffalo was a persona he created for T&FN's letters to the editor in the '70s.

                          I'm not familiar with Bart Twirrell, but Dr. Raymond Rakubian was in use by Dick Bank (and later Stan Eales) in the '50s and '60s. As was Carl LaFong, a WC Fields character. I believe Rakubian is also an obscure movie reference.

                          Bob did have one signature in his announcing. Once a meet, he would say that a race was in its penultimate lap or we were about to start the penultimate event. Occasionally, it was the ante-penultimate lap or event.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post


                            Bob did have one signature in his announcing. Once a meet, he would say that a race was in its penultimate lap or we were about to start the penultimate event. Occasionally, it was the ante-penultimate lap or event.
                            Have to admit I had to look it up the first time I heard Bob use that term!😀

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
                              Twirrell was one of Scott's common references. He was a hammer thrower with the "US Special Forces". As for the origins, that I don't know.
                              Bart was an invention Scott and I made up back in the 1980s. At the time I was writing annual bios for Pete Cava and the TAC PressBox crew. Scott and I used to talk every week for about 1/2 hour to an hour each time and one time we just decided to make up some character. I wrote his bio for the Annual Bios and Scott started announcing him at various meets - Bart always had to withdraw at the last minute, usually because he was off on some Special Forces assignment.

                              Here's the original bio of Aristotle Bartlett Twerrell - can't believe I still have it.

                              BartTwirrel1.jpg

                              BartTwirrel2.jpg
                              Last edited by bambam1729; 01-21-2023, 12:46 PM.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

                                Bart was an invention Scott and I made up back in the 1980s. At the time I was writing annual bios for Pete Cava and the TAC PressBox crew. Scott and I used to talk every week for about 1/2 hour to an hour each time and one time we just decided to make up some character. I wrote his bio for the Annual Bios and Scott started announcing him at various meets - Bart always had to withdraw at the last minute, usually because he was off on some Special Forces assignment.

                                Here's the original bio of Aristotle Bartlett Twerrell - can't believe I still have it.

                                BartTwirrel1.jpg

                                BartTwirrel2.jpg
                                The Sidd Finch of track and field!
                                He's a pitcher, part yogi and part recluse. Impressively liberated from our opulent life-style, Sidd's deciding about yoga—and his future in baseball.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X