Where's Regina?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's Regina?

I just looked at the list for the womens 1500 at Brussles and no Regina Jacobs. After the mess in Paris I thought she'd be chomping on the bit to get another crack at the top women before the end of the season. Anyone know what happend?

Re: Where's Regina?

What was the mess in Paris? I just thought she didn't advance cause she was not fast enough...

Comment

Yes, I agree with Conto. She was simply not fast enough.

Comment

By mess I mean badly run semi in Paris. She is clearly "fast enough" to have made the final as her Seasonal best is a 3.59 and the race went in 4.05. The problem was more about starting her kick too late in the slow heat. (her miss call, granted).
        I would still like to hear why she missed Brussles if anyone knows.

Comment

I think I'm with gingin on this one. It did not appear in Paris to be simply a matter of her being beaten by faster runners. She fell apart for no apparent reason in a race she should have been comfortable with. She did not look like the confident champion we saw in Boston, Birmingham, and Palo Alto this year. "Mess" is a good word for her race. I, too, would be curious to know what the heck that was all about.

Comment

I noticed she was upset about some contact she made with other runners. Then she decided to run very wide. Then she wasn't fast enough to get through.

Comment

I always find it amazing that everyone, from rookies to seasoned world-class athletes, so frequently make the same mistake: they think because they have a certain PR that when they get in race where that PR should put them in good standing, they don't have to worry about pace. A PR is only set in a pace that perfectly suits that one individual runner. Championship races very rarely set up for everyone's benefit (except the Paris women's 10K and Brussels men's 10K certainly seem like that). Had Regina run at 4:00.00 pace she most likely would have gotten through. Whether she was trying to save something or thought she could outkick most, neither strategy was utile. I really think she was out-thought.

Comment

We already went through this in another thread. For the bottom line, consider what Ruth Wysocki posted then:

<<Having "been there, done that," I understand what it's like to compete at that level at age 38, 39, 40. The thing that went first was the ability to surge or react quickly. Although I could still run very fast, tactical races were killer. As I got older, I could not rely on the late kick. I had to work from 600 meters out and "outstrength" them. The big mistake after age 35 is to think you can wait to kick in the last 150-200 meters. Outkicking American women at our nationals is not the same as outkicking top-level international runners. Everyone out there can run the last 400 under 60.>>

Comment

>I noticed she was upset about some contact she
                  >made with other runners. Then she decided to run
                  >very wide. Then she wasn't fast enough to get
                  >through.

I believe she ran in or near the second lane for a substantial portion of the race. At a "cost" of about a second per lap running wide, her 4:05 becomes more like a 4:02-3. Throw in the nervous stress and sudden finish acceleration, and it is clear she was unprepared for this type of effort.

Comment

I remember something from RW Online after the Sydney games where someone had actually figured out the real distance people ran in final races of 800m or longer. There was a very strong correlation between final place and distance run (which really is what you'd expect).

Since then, I've watched races froma more critical perspective. People who hang out in lane 2 almost always fade late in the race. For example, in Paris Canada's Diane Cummins spent the entire 800m in the outside of lane 1 or the inside of lane 2; she faded to sixth and was clearly disappointed. The Russian with a 15-letter last name stayed on the rail the whole time and overachieved with a bronze medal. The two Canadians who broke their NR in the 5k rarely ran wide around the turns. Many more examples can be found.

Comment

J Squires:

Try consoling Hezekiel Sepeng and his countryman who followed that prescription exactly and found themselves boxed in with 150m to go in the mens 800m. That strategy almost certainly cost them the gold and silver in the event.

Comment

Hey, I said "correlation", not "absolute". People get boxed a lot, and it sucks. But the longer the race, the less it happens, and it happens a lot less in women's races in general. If you're a favorite in the 800, you better watch it closely. If you're trying to overachieve -- and no one could have called Jacobs a favorite -- you follow a far different strategy.

Comment

>We already went through this in another thread.
                          >For the bottom line, consider what Ruth Wysocki
                          >posted then:

<<Having "been there, done
                          >that," I understand what it's like to compete at
                          >that level at age 38, 39, 40. The thing that
                          >went first was the ability to surge or react
                          >quickly. Although I could still run very fast,
                          >tactical races were killer. As I got older, I
                          >could not rely on the late kick. I had to work
                          >from 600 meters out and "outstrength" them.
                          >The big mistake after age 35 is to think you can
                          >wait to kick in the last 150-200 meters.
                          >Outkicking American women at our nationals is
                          >s not the same as outkicking top-level
                          >international runners. Everyone out there can
                          >run the last 400 under 60.>>

So why did Regina wait too long?
                          Did any of you actually watch the race? With 200m. to go, Regina gave a back look to see how fast she had to run (when you're older, it is very important to conserve, right?). What she saw was what we all saw: a huge gap between the first five qualifiers and sixth place, with sixth and seventh not moving very quickly. What was hidden by the sixth and seventh runners, was Ceplak (sic) FLYING down the back stretch. Once Ceplak caught the first group and Regina realized it wasn't going to be a stroll to the line, it was too late, as Wysocki explains so well above.
                          And no, it wasn't a rookie mistake. Ceplak went probably went as fast as anyone ever has down the backstretch.
                          Things happen.

Comment

>I would still like to hear why she missed Brussles if anyone knows.

I would too... no one has answered this...Where is Regina?

Comment

She's on the start list for the GP Final.

Comment

Working...
                              X