Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marketing gurus should apply here...

Marketing Manager

USA Track & Field, the National Governing Body for track & field, long distance running, and race walking is seeking an experienced candidate with strong organizational, communication, and administrative skills to work in our Marketing Department. We are a non-profit Olympic Sports organization based in Indianapolis, Indiana.

The candidate should be hardworking, energetic, detail-oriented and personable and should demonstrate a strong understanding of the Olympic Sport movement. This position requires travel several times during the year.

The candidate will assist the Director of Marketing in developing new sponsors and fulfilling existing sponsorships for partners such as Visa, Nike, AT&T, Hershey’s, 24 Hour Fitness and many others. The candidate will also assist with the management of a variety of USATF programs, including our nationally-televised, professional track and field circuit – the Visa Championship Series. The Marketing Manager will supervise staff and collaborate with our Events, Elite Athlete, Grass Roots and other departments.

Minimum Requirements

Bachelor’s degree required with at least 5 years of professional work experience in marketing or advertising, preferably involving sports properties.
    Proven job experience in managing client relationships/account management and ability to execute detailed plans for several clients at a time.
    Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel and Access.
    Excellent problem solving and presentation skills.
    Demonstrated ability to work long hours. Available for weekday/weekend travel.
    Pay Range

Mid to upper forties

Application

Please mark all correspondence with "Marketing Manager" and send your resume to:

E-mail: [email protected] or

Fax: 317-261-0481 or

Postal Mail:
    USA Track & Field
    Human Resources Department
    One RCA Dome, Suite 140
    Indianapolis, IN 46225

Deadline: USATF is accepting applications until the position is filled.

USATF is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, age, handicap, veteran status or other protected classes. USATF encourages minorities and women to apply.

Last time I looked, just about everyone on this board was a marketing guru who could turn the sport around in an instant.

Comment

Pay Range - Mid to upper forties
      at this scale, even I couldn't afford to take the job, and I'm 'just a teacher'. What kind of marketing genius are they going to get at that rate?!

Comment

Mid 40s is an excellent salary in Indy, esp for the level of experience they are looking for here.

Comment

Originally posted by MJR
          Mid 40s is an excellent salary in Indy, esp for the level of experience they are looking for here.
          Mid-40s is not an 'excellent salary' even down here in the South, where the cost of living is much lower than the Midwest. If USATF were serious about marketing the sport, they would bring in a Madison Ave type whose salary would be tied into the amount of $$$ s/he brought in new sponsorship. Even at 5% 'commission' the guy could get rich as USATF does also.

Comment

Yeah, just the ohter day I was talking to Masback and he said, "We're not really serious about marketing the sport so we're gonna offer a low-ball salary and get some shlub in here who doesn't know a thing. I mean, it's the only logical thing to do."

Comment

Wait a minute, Pat.... not so long ago you were bemoaning your status as a low-paid educator. Now you are trying to tell us that mid-40's is low and you couldn't afford to take the job! Please define your levels of pay -- low, middle and excellent.

I'd say that's a pretty solid wage in Indy for that position.

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                Wait a minute, Pat.... not so long ago you were bemoaning your status as a low-paid educator. Now you are trying to tell us that mid-40's is low and you couldn't afford to take the job! Please define your levels of pay -- low, middle and excellent.

I'd say that's a pretty solid wage in Indy for that position.
                really? We're talking about a 'Professional' whose primary job is to be THE marketing guru for United States of America Track & Field?!?!

Mid-40's is ludicrous for any sport that wants to be anything other than fourth-tier. Make it a commission-based job (with $40K guaranteed) and it will attract the blood-in-the-water kind of shark they need.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                  We're talking about a 'Professional' whose primary job is to be THE marketing guru for United States of America Track & Field?!?!
                  Err, no it isn't

<< The candidate will assist the Director of Marketing in developing new sponsors and fulfilling existing sponsorships>>

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    We're talking about a 'Professional' whose primary job is to be THE marketing guru for United States of America Track & Field?!?!
                    Err, no it isn't

<< The candidate will assist the Director of Marketing in developing new sponsors and fulfilling existing sponsorships>>
                    Even better - Sponsors = $$$. Buy the biggest baddest shark you can, and feed him the entrails of Corporate America!

Comment

According to AFT, the average teacher's salary in Indiana for the 2003-04 school year as $45,791. So a newbie clearly makes much less than that. Sounds to me that for a starting position, the salary USATF is offering isn't remotely out of line for the area.

Comment

Originally posted by MJR
                        Mid-40s is not an 'excellent salary' even down here in the South, where the cost of living is much lower than the Midwest.
                        Florida is not the south. I've lived in Florida, Georgia, and Arkansas. Florida is not the south.

The cost of living in Indianapolis is slightly lower than Jacksonville.

USATF pays quite a bit of money to Masback, but considers him a good investment. It would be nice if a sport that suffers from some serious marketing issues would consider investing in a great marketing person, should a great, qualified candidate come along who is worth more than 40k per year.

Edit: Nevermind, I see that they are just looking for an assistant person.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          According to AFT, the average teacher's salary in Indiana for the 2003-04 school year as $45,791. So a newbie clearly makes much less than that. Sounds to me that for a starting position, the salary USATF is offering isn't remotely out of line for the area.

Uh, remember a teacher makes that salary for 9 months of work. Prorate that out per annum and it comes to $61,054.
                          https://twitter.com/walnuthillstrak

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            Yeah, just the ohter day I was talking to Masback and he said, "We're not really serious about marketing the sport so we're gonna offer a low-ball salary and get some shlub in here who doesn't know a thing. I mean, it's the only logical thing to do."
                            USATF already has a "shlub" as its Director of Marketing....I'm too lazy to get the most recent salary and benefits info for him, but in 2003 he was paid a $76,500 salary plus $21,049 in benefits for a total compensation package of $97,549. For 2005 I'm guessing the total package was in excess of $100k. Is he overpaid? Underpaid?

USATF also has a Senior Marketing Manager. I don't know her compensation package but it's probably somewhere between the Director's and the position that is being talked about here. Is she overpaid? underpaid?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              Last time I looked, just about everyone on this board was a marketing guru who could turn the sport around in an instant.
                              NAAH! You have to have actually participated in the sport at one time to truly appreciate and enjoy it. That greatly limits your potential audience. :P 8)

Comment

Working...
                              X