Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's AOY

Mutola - World Champ, Sole Golden League "Winner", 1:55 + 800. Let me see, honors won, consistency, head to head competition, time. Seems like she pretty much has it locked up if the panel follows their criteria.

Re: Women's AOY

Unless, of course Paula runs another 2:15, then her absence in Paris will be forgotten. And if Guevara runs low 48's, she can do it. Or Kluft goes 7100 in Talence. The game is still afoot.

Comment

I don't make the rules, but it seems to me that in a WC year, ya' gotta be there to be AOY. I don't care what she does from here on in, Paula would not get my vote.

Comment

>I don't make the rules, but it seems to me that
        >in a WC year, ya' gotta be there to be AOY. I
        >don't care what she does from here on in, Paula
        >would not get my vote.

Remember 1980.
        Moses (and the rest of the US) was not at the Olympic Games, and yet he was a clear choice for AOY.

Comment

Too bad about Paula. She should've won it all this year. That 2:15 will still be Performance of the Year.

But Mutola is amazing. Ana Guevera will get a lot of votes, too. Both are unbeatable right now. To hell with anyone who disses Mutola's physique.

Comment

To some of us white Westerners, Mutola may be funny-looking. But that's an entirely subjective matter of perspective. It could just as well be that, to a black African, somebody like, say, Szabo - who we might think is delicate and pretty - is equally funny-looking, small and "hunched." The great thing about track is its objectivity. Mutola hasn't done anything under-handed or controversial, rather she's just let her legs do the talking. And they have spoken - loud and clear.

Comment

Mutola has dominated her event but she hasn't produced performances which compare qualitatively with Hestrie Cloete's high jumping. She's been able to win DESPITE the relatively mediocre times that keep winning for her. If a Quirot or Kratochvilova were around now they'd have dusted her off at the WC. Nobody has jumped as high as Cloete in 15 YEARS, and at the World Championships she jumped higher than everyone but 2 women in history - moving to no. 3, like Quirot is in the 800 at 1:54.44. Mutola athlete of the year? No way.

Comment

Is it possible that if Quirot or Kratochvilova were around now, they would have been busted or not been able to perform at the level they did back then? Even if they were totally clean (and they may well have been) you are comparing apples to oranges. Mutola is far superior to her competitors right now and that is ALL we can ask of her.

Comment

"Nobody has jumped as high as Cloete in 15 YEARS, and at the World Championships she jumped higher than everyone but 2 women in history

You forget that Kajsa also did 2.06 earlier in the year so will statistically head the list. Off topic the fact that Kajsa did this on an injury interrupted build up indicates she may well go better next year, however one of Cloete's Paris clearances - maybe 2.04 was huge. She has had possibly the most consistent summer ever for a high jumper and I agree she is somewhat understated whilst Mutola has been grabbing the headlines in an incredibly soft event this year. Her top performance is still slower than Ceplak last year and she has no depth of great performances with one other sub 1.57. On the otherhand Hestrie has several top marks and Kluft produced the best mark in 11 years. Within her world heptathlon, Carolina pruduced a high jump that would have taken her into the championship top 10 and given how close she was at 1.97 it is reasonable to say she had 1.95 (5th place) within her, a long jump that would have taken 4th place and a 200m that could have taken her to within .06 of the final. Only JJK in history was ever in a position to compete in so many events to such a level. Furthermore Kluft won EU23 gold in the LJ with a mark that would have won world silver. At that championships she could have won medals, mainly gold had she wanted over; 100, 200, 400, HJ, LJ, 100mH, heptathlon and according to insiders the TJ and 400mH. The girl can probably even vault 4,50m by the evidence of her other events, imagine her in a decathlon!! She also dominated the world indoors with a CR not far off a WR that she ought to obliterate next year.
                  However with multieventers you can never quite be sure, and that is part of the reason Kluft has my nomination as athlete of the year. Like the last dominant force, Shouaa she may succumb to the inevitable injuries of multieventers and not realise te world records that may be anticipated - hence we must appreciate her current performances and not see them as a stepping stone to the future.
                  This from one who is by no stretch of the imagination a particular fan of Carolina.

Comment

I suspect the next 300 points will be very difficult to achieve, but Kluft is within a stone's throw of eclipsing JJK as the greatest female athlete ever. I agree that we should not be too anticipatory, as it may take her 5 years to get there (7300+), and lots can happen in the interval.

Comment

She can only compete against those who show up.
                      Mutola hands-down. What's to discuss?

Comment

Mutola hands down.

Comment

Mutola hands down. - el supremo

Well there's a convincing argument for why she ought to be athlete of the year.

Mark, you made a knowledgeable and insightful response to the case I made for Cloete. Kluft would be my own pick for second or third. Seems that million dollars is going to be enough to sway alot of people where Mutola is concerned. Win tons of races in SLOW times, yes she is very dominant, against WHO? Hello?

Comment

Mutola has not lost a race, won the world champs. Absolutely dominant. Has to be AOY
                            why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

Mutola not only had the guts to go after the Golden League and WC, she also went after the 1000 WR and then ran a powerful 1:55+ at an additional GP meet. She's showed that she can run really fast, but with such a heavy schedule, why should she have run any faster than necessary to win at Golden League and WC? If Ceplak and Graf had been fit, she would have had to run faster--but she would have beaten them.

What about the question of JJK's WR with the old javelin? If Klüft comes close, perhaps her score will be intrinsically better. What score would intrinsically equal JJK?

Comment

Working...
                              X