Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shingo Suetsugu, calmest man alive!

Imagine having to change your starting technique in the blocks in the final of a sprint race in the World's.
    That's what happened to Suetsugu in Paris.
    I don't know what U.S. viewers were shown on ESPN but this is my description of what happened.
    Suetsugu has an unorthodox starting technique in that his blocks are almost paralel and he kneels on the track with both knees on the track surface prior to the "Set" command. This created no problems in the heats and semi- final. But in the final, with a different starter, the sprinters were twice told to stand up before the "set" command. Both times the assistant starter went over to Suetsugu and indicated that he did not like Suetsugu's foot placement. At the third attempt Suetsugu had to alter his blocks so that they were no longer paralel and he also had his right knee off the track surface in the "normal" way prior to the "set" command. Still he managed a for him average reaction time of 0.176 and went on to win bronze.
    During this whole episode he remained absolutely calm, showed no irritation and did not protest or argue. He just sucked it up and went about his business.
    Few thing I saw from the World's impressed me more.

Re: Shingo Suetsugu, calmest man alive!

I had wondered why his blocks were different in the final. I thought they had done it differently on purpose and was wondering why.
    why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

He remained unperturbed in the post-race press conference over the two American medalists' difficulties saying his name. Capel referred to him as "Santiago" and Patton called him "the guy over there."

Track & Field News Weekly Roundup

Top homepage posts for the week ending 05/29/2019:

Excerpts:

NCAA Women’s Formchart #5 — USC By 1 Over Arkansas

THE EBB & FLOW of the battle for the NCAA women’s team title this year has been fascinating. Chart 1:... Read More

The post NCAA Women’s Formchart #5 — USC By 1 Over Arkansas appeared first on Track & Field News.

Read on »

2019 NCAA Men’s Formchart #5 — Texas Tech Takes Over

IN OUR FIRST chart of the year, Florida was an 8-point favorite over SEC rival LSU for the team title.... Read More

The post 2019 NCAA Men’s Formchart #5 — Texas Tech Takes Over appeared first on Track & Field News.

Read on »

Götzis Multis: World Leaders For Warner & KJT

GÖTZIS, AUSTRIA, May 25-26—Damian Warner made history by becoming only the third athlete to win 5 times at Götzis, while... Read More

The post Götzis Multis: World Leaders For Warner & KJT appeared first on Track & Field News.

Read on »

NAIA Champs — 2 Team Titles To Canadian Team

GULF SHORES, Alabama, May 23-25—The University of British Columbia (UBC) only won 3 events—the 5000, walk and hammer—on the men’s... Read More

The post NAIA Champs — 2 Team Titles To Canadian Team appeared first on Track & Field News.

Read on »

Kenny Bednarek Planning On 200/400 Double At USATF

“I’M STILL IN THE WHIRLWIND,” says Kenny Bednarek. Ever since the Indian Hills frosh led off his mind-boggling 19.82/44.73 double... Read More

The post Kenny Bednarek Planning On 200/400 Double At USATF appeared first on Track & Field News.

Read on »

RIP — Roberto Luigi Quercetani, Statman/Historian Nonpareil

MAY 13 brought the sad news of the passing of one of the sport’s truly larger-than-life figures, T&FN’s longtime European... Read More

The post RIP — Roberto Luigi Quercetani, Statman/Historian Nonpareil appeared first on Track & Field News.

Read on »

Comment

And talk about exploding stereotypes for sprinters' physiques. He is to sprinting what Jonathan Edwards was to triple jumping: hope for the common man!

Comment

Once someone said that the St-Denis track was soft and helped out smaller, less powerful sprinters, I looked at the races differently. Then I saw Suetsugo lining up in a middle lane, and I wished I could have changed my entry to the prediction contest!

Comment

Calm indeed! If he were an American sprinter he would have been busting up the joint for having been left off the 4x1!

Comment

>He remained unperturbed in the post-race press
              >conference over the two American medalists'
              >difficulties saying his name. Capel referred to
              >him as "Santiago" and Patton called him "the
              >guy over there."

My goodness! Are elite athletes not aware of their main competitors? If I was an elite athlete, I'd know the background of the World Top 20 in my event.

Comment

More likely they simply couldn't pronounce it
                why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

Working...
                X