Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What has Gabe Jennings been doing recently (serious ques

I think we all admit that bike trip was foolish.
    If he gets back to at least 3:55 mile condition I will be impressed. His main obstacle to the Olympics are in this order:

Jason Lunn
    Brian Berryhill
    Michael Stember

However, this is not the 80's when America had a half dozen sub 3:52 miles at the trials. The three aforementioned runners can be beaten. However, these three milers have been racing and training the last year while Gabe was on his odd journey. I wish Gabe luck.

BTW, if Krummenacker does not run the 1500 the above list is my prediction for the US Olympic 1500 meter team.

Did you know:
    Jason Lunn got a silver in the Commonwealth games this year while Stember got the silver at the Pan American games.

Actually, Senca Lassiter is a faster than Lunn, but he has had an off year. Lassiter has run a 3:33 1500meters. That PR is easily under the A standard. The US would have a pretty strong 1500 team if both Krummenacker and Lassiter where healthy at the same time.

Comment

Are Americans part of the commonwealth?

Comment

The US competed in the Commonwealth games.

Comment

>The US competed in the Commonwealth games.

Are you nuts ??!!

Comment

It was not the commonwealth game, but the Norwich Union Challenge in Glasgow. This was a meet between US, England, and Russia. The US finished first followed by Russia and then England.

Lunn indeed got a silver in the 1500 meters.

Comment

>I think we all admit that bike trip was
              >foolish.>

We do?

Comment

Allow me to second that "we do?" statement. Given what a huge part of running is mental, think it was essential that Gabe go on his wacky trip, get in the right frame of mind. Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

"I think we all admit that bike trip was foolish."

Not me. As a physiologist I know says - "if you have the plumbing you have it - if you don't you don't".

Gabe has the "plumbing" (cardiovascular system)and proved it with his miling. He could take three years off and play vidoe games and within 2 years of returning be fit again. A few months break while riding a bike 80 miles a day didn't do him any harm - hell I'm jealeous.

Comment

I don't agree that the bike trip was foolish. In fact, I believe it was the BEST thing for his running. If it were not for that bike trip he would probably be out of the sport right now.

With Lassiter back with Coach Mac, we could see some good things from him. My prediction is Jennings by 10 meters and then Lassiter/Wilson/Robison/Lunn/Berryhill having a blanket finish where the lean is going to make the difference for the last 2 spots.

M

Comment

You don't actually believe Gabe is going to beat Lunn, Berryhill, and Stember, all who have been competing and training internationally for the last year. Gabe if he gets back in shape will be in the hunt, but no rational pundit is going to say he is destined to win the trials.

We have to see Gabe compete in a 1500meter race to gauge we he is at. Gabe has not run a legitimate sub-4 mile in over two years. At this point Lunn is too experienced to lose to Gabe.

My prediction for the Olympic trial finals.

Lunn
                      Berryhill
                      Stember

Dark horse - Grant Robison (watch out)

If Gabe qualifies I won't be too surprised. Right now it just seems the aforementioned three have the advantage. Lets not forget about Grant Robison who ran a 3:35 1500 in Europe this summer and received a bronze medal at the Pan American Games.
                      Robison is also the NCAA 1500 meter champ. Hmm, Maybe Robison is the "next great American miler".
                      He is young and will most certainly improve on his 3:35 1500 meter time.

Comment

> ...but no rational pundit is going to
                        >say...

That's why they invented internet message boards! Rationality not required.

Comment

>You don't actually believe Gabe is going to beat
                          >Lunn, Berryhill, and Stember, all who have been
                          >competing and training internationally for the
                          >last year. Gabe if he gets back in shape will be
                          >in the hunt, but no rational pundit is going to
                          >say he is destined to win the trials.>

Why not? He wouldn't be the first athlete to take some time off and come back better than ever.

Comment

There once was a runner who essentially cut off 2 of his toes, gained an insane amount of weight, did not excersise for months and months, and came back and within 6 months of training ran 3:33. nd you're telling me Gabe can't win the trials? HAHAHAHA. You've either never seen the kid run or are really putting too much stress on his bike trip. IT WILL NOT EFFECT GABE PHYSICALLY. He is BY FAR the most dominant miler in this country when healthy. I take 9 months of Gabe training under Vin and with a healthy mind over Lunn training and racing on the European circuit for 5 years. The kid is really THAT fast and when motivated and healthy, THAT good of a racer.

Comment

When Gabe breaks the 3:52 mile barrier I will be a believer. Right now he is in a crapshoot with the other 3:55 milers in the field. When is the US going to produce another solid 3:50 miler. Falcon and Holman have been out of competition for sometime now.

I have to see Gabe run to make a prediction. Remember, Gabe's pr of 3:54 won't do much in elite international competition. If he is lucky a 3:55 can make a olympic or world championship final. We know Jason Pyrah made the finals in the 2000 Olympics with 3:55 mile speed.

Comment

>When Gabe breaks the 3:52 mile barrier I will be
                                >a believer. Right now he is in a crapshoot with
                                >the other 3:55 milers in the field. When is the
                                >US going to produce another solid 3:50 miler.
                                >Falcon and Holman have been out of competition
                                >for sometime now.

I have to see Gabe run to
                                >make a prediction. Remember, Gabe's pr of 3:54
                                >won't do much in elite international competition.
                                >If he is lucky a 3:55 can make a olympic or world
                                >championship final. We know Jason Pyrah made the
                                >finals in the 2000 Olympics with 3:55 mile speed.>

Hey I'm back and I hate to be critical but aren't you the one who said that any rational pundit wouldn't think Jennings could make the Olympic team in 2004?

If Gabe is capable of running a 3:55 mile, which any rational pundit shouldn't be surprised at, then he is certainly capable of not only being on the US Olympic team at 1500m but winning the trials.

Comment

Working...
                                X