Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What has Gabe Jennings been doing recently (serious ques

Conto gets it. He sees past a lifestyle that seems to bother a lot of people because it doesn't fit their particular cookie cutter.

As a freshman Gabe won the national Junior champs in 8K xc and made the final in the USATF Senior 800. There's just nobody else in the U.S. mile ranks with that kind of talent and range, except MAYBE Webb.

>There once was a runner who essentially cut off 2
    >of his toes, gained an insane amount of weight,
    >did not excersise for months and months, and came
    >back and within 6 months of training ran 3:33.
    >nd you're telling me Gabe can't win the trials?
    >HAHAHAHA. You've either never seen the kid run
    >n or are really putting too much stress on his
    >bike trip. IT WILL NOT EFFECT GABE PHYSICALLY.
    >He is BY FAR the most dominant miler in this
    >country when healthy. I take 9 months of Gabe
    >training under Vin and with a healthy mind over
    >Lunn training and racing on the European circuit
    >for 5 years. The kid is really THAT fast and
    >when motivated and healthy, THAT good of a
    >racer.

Comment

Hmm, it looks as if the Gabe PR department is back on this forum. Lets see Gabe run a serious professional race and then we can gauge were he is in relation to other top runners.

At least Gabe is not hiding like Alan Webb.

Trust me Lunn and other top US milers are not losing any sleep over either Gabe or Webb. 3:40+ 1500meter runners are just not a threat to anyone at the world-class level.

Comment

Re: Gabe just Good.

If Gabe is so great, can he run the times below. This is what US milers were running during the USA's last distance renaissance spanning from the late 70's to the mid 80's.
        Who the heck is Richie Harris? In those days everyone seemed to be running around 3:50 - 3:52.
        Today the top time for US milers seems to be in the range of 3:35 - 3:37.

Does anyone have a reason why US milers are getting slower.

(*) Not a time from the 80's

3:47.69 Steve Scott 1982
        3:48.83 Sydney Maree 1981
        3:49.31 Joe Falcon 1990*
        3:49.80 Jim Spivey 1986
        3:50.34 Todd Harbour 1981
        3:50.60 Steve Holman 1996*
        3:50.84 Tom Byers 1982
        3:51.1 Jim Ryan 1967*
        3:51.34 John Gregorek 1982
        3:51.39 Richie Harris 1984

Gabe would be toasted by anyone of these milers. Even Richie Harris, who I have never heard of would easily beat Gabe.

Comment

Re: Gabe FOREVER

GABE

Comment

but Andy, you can't have it both ways. You say the top US milers are not losing any sleep over 3:40+ 1500 runners in one post, and in another you list Stember as one of your favorites to make the Olympic team. Stember only broke 3:42 once this past season!

>Trust me
            >Lunn and other top US milers are not losing any
            >sleep over either Gabe or Webb. 3:40+ 1500meter
            >runners are just not a threat to anyone at the
            >world-class level.

Comment

>Gabe would be toasted by anyone of
              >these milers. Even Richie Harris, who I have
              >never heard of would easily beat Gabe.>

If you've never heard of Richie Harris, then your opinions on this topic ain't worth shit.

Comment

>If Gabe is so great, can he run the times below.
                >This is what US milers were running during the
                >USA's last distance renaissance spanning from the
                >late 70's to the mid 80's.
                Who the heck is
                >Richie Harris? In those days everyone seemed to
                >be running around 3:50 - 3:52.>

This is an outrage! A guy posting a message on the history of miling in the US and he doesn't know Richie Harris? Not my style to criticize but that's just wrong.

I don't think anyone's claiming that Jennings is great but he's got enough talent to come back and beat any of the current US milers with the possible exception of the Krumster.

Comment

Even I know the name Richie Harris, but then I used to buy T&FN every issue between 1986 and 1990 when I was getting my first degree, and for a while after that
                  why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

I think knowing 9 out of the 10 fastest US milers is pretty good. Most US sport fans would only know who Jim Ryun was.

The fact remains even Harris would beat the current crop of US milers. People should not get personal when you are only stating facts.

Comment

<<but Andy, you can't have it both ways. You say the top US milers are not losing any sleep over 3:40+ 1500 runners in one post, and in another you list Stember as one of your favorites to make the Olympic team. Stember only broke 3:42 once this past season!>>

With his runner-up time of 1:46.92 at the 2002 USA Indoor Championships, Stember became the 13th American ever to break 1:47 indoors. Stember secured a spot on the 2000 U.S. Olympic team by surpassing the Olympic 'A' standard of 3:36.80 in Monaco at the Herculis Zepter meet on August 18, with his time of 3:35.11. Stember also got a medal in the 2003 Pan American games. While Gabe was fooling around on his old bike Stember was training like a world-class athlete. Right now Gabe is just not capable of beating Stember.
                      However, Gabe would give Alan Webb a good race.

Comment

I'll take Gabe over Stember today, tomorrow, or any day of the week.

Stember is training like a fool, "more weights, less running." Stember's decision to piss away his talent makes Gabe's decision to go on a goofy ride to Brazil look halfway sane.

Line them up on a track or xc course today and I'll give you 10-1 odds on Gabe winning.

Comment

Any odds on Jon Gill.

Comment

I'll bet Jon "The Fraud" Gill will never run under 4mins for the mile. You can give me whatever odds you want on that.

Comment

Gill has and will break 5 minutes.

Comment

Bubba, some of these guys just don't get it. You don't think Lunn is losing sleep over Gabe being back to training? Well then... Lunn is going to get passed unexpectingly by Jennings just like he (Lunn) did to Krum at Oracle. Only thing is is that Jennings will probably do it from 600 out.

Lunn shouldn't be so cocky (assuming he is not even a little scared of Gabe). There are 5 guys in the US who can take Lunn to town on any given day... and will only be able to do so moreso next year. Krum, Berryhill, Robison, Jennings. I CAN TELL YOU THIS... there are definitely elite milers in this country who are already thinking about Gabe.

Lastly, Andy, that's a nice position you take. By saying that Gabe is beatable right now is saying absolutely nothing. Anyone is beatable during their base phase. I'll make a wager with you that Gabe makes our Olympic Team. That means he has to run 3:34.9 as well. Let's say $100 to the winner's favorite charity.

Cheers,
                                Michael

Comment

Working...
                                X