Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabada wins 25k Championships

People on letsrun say this is a 25k American record.

Way to represent the NAIA

http://www.usatf.org/news/view.aspx?DUI ... 3_10_20_03

"I wanted to be the aggressor going in, I wanted to win," said the NAIA All-American. "I got really excited because I knew I had the U.S. championship and I thought I was probably going to get the record but I just wanted to beat Kibet."

Excellent run by this guy. As for the record, IAAF lists the following as the area record for 25km road:

Khalid Khannouchi USA 1:14:13 Oct 10 2004 Chicago.

http://www.iaaf.org/statistics/records/ ... index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Master Po
      Excellent run by this guy. As for the record, IAAF lists the following as the area record for 25km road:

*shrug* I don't know why the USATF would say he had the pending record then. Maybe the mark listed above was never ratified.

A far more interesting discussion to me is why the NAIA would allow Cabada to accept $8,000 in prize money and still let him compete at the outdoor nationals in two weeks.

Comment

NAIA

Originally posted by polevaultpower

*shrug* I don't know why the USATF would say he had the pending record then. Maybe the mark listed above was never ratified.

A far more interesting discussion to me is why the NAIA would allow Cabada to accept $8,000 in prize money and still let him compete at the outdoor nationals in two weeks.
        As far as I know, it is because a) his term at school is finished and b) they would see accepting money from road racing as compromising a cross country season and not track.

Comment

Re: NAIA

Originally posted by trackhead
          Originally posted by polevaultpower

As far as I know, it is because a) his term at school is finished and b) they would see accepting money from road racing as compromising a cross country season and not track.
          Well, the snowboarding and football of the Colorado athlete were more disconnected, but they would not allow him to get $ from his sport (but maybe endorsements are different).

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
            Will the snowboarding and football of the Colorado athlete were more disconnected, but they would not allow him to get $ from his sport (but maybe endorsements are different).
            That's the NCAA and this is the NAIA.

Comment

Originally posted by trackhead
              That's a dumb argument on the NAIA's part because the way NAIA counts scholarships, cross country, indoor track, and outdoor track all get lumped together. If you are going to allow an athlete to be a professional in one sport (XC) and be eligible in another, then they ought to not count cross country participation against the scholarship limit for indoor and outdoor track. After all, they are separate sports.

It's not just Cabada. One of his teammates, Cheromei, took money for a road race last summer, got called out on it, and sat out cross country. Everyone was a bit surprised that he was eligible for indoor track. I guess the NAIA used the same logic there.

I have a teammate who is a good distance runner. Maybe he should forfeit his cross country eligibility and spend the summer and fall making money in road races, then return to a school uniform for indoor and outdoor track. He could pay for his college education and put some money away for the future.

Or what about my teammate who only had indoor eligibility this year. Maybe after outdoor last year, he should have been allowed to earn prize money on the outdoor track circuit, then come back and compete for us indoors. After all, indoor and outdoor track are different sports.

This is not intended to be a knock on Cabada or VIC. I have a ton of respect for what they are doing.

I just think the NAIA is setting a bad precedent.

What about professional track athletes who never competed indoors. Should they be allowed to enter the NAIA and get 4 years of track? Should professional road racers who have never taken money for a track race be allowed to come in and compete indoors and outdoors?

Comment

Incorrect rules interpretation: “The amount of the cash prize or the circumstances under which it was won did not make the player a professional in the eyes of the governing body for that sport, thus the player retains amateur status in the eyes of the NAIA.”

Actual rule: NAIA regulations do allow for using the professional/amateur rules of the governing body for the sport in certain limited circumstances (see exception to Article VII, Section C, Item 2), however, the specific statement at the end of the exception states “provided such awards do not conflict with item 1 of this section.” This clearly indicates that accepting any cash prize, at any time, is not allowable under NAIA regulations.

http://tinyurl.com/hhx7t

Comment

In a follow up to this story, the NAIA had no problem with him winning $8,000 in prize money, but they did have a problem with him signing a contract with an agent, and would not let him race in the 10k tonight.

Comment

Talk about a guy who has overcome a hard life: check out the story on the front page (yikes!)

Comment

Working...
                    X