Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IAAF statement on White

"IAAF general secretary Istvan Gyulai said White should be disqualified and stripped of the gold medals she won in the 100 and 200 metres at last month's World Championships."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athleti ... 077070.stm

Re: IAAF statement on White

If Kelli White is guilty, then she should lose her medals. But, why can't the IAAF make that ruling on their own? According to the link, they have sent the case to the US Anti-Doping Agency. So, it's up to them to decide if he should be stripped of her medals. And, if they decide not to punish her, then the case goes to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

We all know the outcome -- the US will not strip her of her medals, the IAAF and the world media will accuse the US of a cover-up, and track and field takes another hit. Just cut out the middle-man (US Anti-Doping Agency) and send the case directly to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

The US Anti-Doping Agency should not be put in this position. What choice to they have? It's like asking your child to determine his own punishment for breaking a lamp, but telling him that it has to include being grounded for 2 weeks.

The same thing happened in the Drummond case. The IAAF could have dq'ed him from the rest of the meet the day after the incident. Instead, they waited, hoping to USATF would do the dirty work. When USATF refused, they finally took action.

Comment

>If Kelli White is guilty, then she should lose
      >her medals. But, why can't the IAAF make that
      >ruling on their own? According to the link, they
      >have sent the case to the US Anti-Doping Agency.
      >So, it's up to them to decide if he should be
      >stripped of her medals. And, if they decide not
      >to punish her, then the case goes to the Court of
      >Arbitration for Sport.

We all know the outcome
      >-- the US will not strip her of her medals, the
      >IAAF and the world media will accuse the US of a
      >cover-up, and track and field takes another hit.
      >Just cut out the middle-man (US Anti-Doping
      >Agency) and send the case directly to the Court
      >of Arbitration for Sport.

The US Anti-Doping
      >Agency should not be put in this position. What
      >choice to they have? It's like asking your child
      >to determine his own punishment for breaking a
      >lamp, but telling him that it has to include
      >being grounded for 2 weeks.

The same thing
      >happened in the Drummond case. The IAAF could
      >have dq'ed him from the rest of the meet the day
      >after the incident. Instead, they waited, hoping
      >to USATF would do the dirty work. When USATF
      >refused, they finally took action.>

Maybe there afraid of a lawsuit stemming from a dq from a currently not banned substance?

Let USATF take the hit.

Comment

>If Kelli White is guilty, then she should lose
        >her medals. But, why can't the IAAF make that
        >ruling on their own? >>

Because it's forbidden to do so by its own rules. Rule 59.1(3) says

<<Every athlete shall have the right to request a hearing before the relevant tribunal of his national federation before any decision is reached.....>>

The IAAF thus guarantees that every athlete has proper representation. As it should be, rather than the IAAF being your counsel, judge, jury and executioner.

Comment

And yet again, the media suddenly discovers t&f only when there is a scandal. The Yahoo! News page (http://news.yahoo.com) couldn't find a reason to make the actual competition at Paris its lead sports story EVEN ONCE (it's my main online source of news, I check it several times a day, so I know this is accurate), but guess what the lead story is today (Sept. 9)?
          "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

The ONLY reason White 'should' be stripped of her medals is because she did not declare her taking of that medicine. I personally think she should not be stripped, but she left herself open for this attack by not listing ALL her medications.

Comment

The IAAF thus guarantees that
              >every athlete has proper representation. As it
              >should be, rather than the IAAF being your
              >counsel, judge, jury and executioner.

tell that to jon....

Comment

Kim Collins did the same thing at Commonwealth Games last year. He did not list his inhaler (Salbutamol) but they allowed him to keep his medal. Granted he normally lists it but forgot that time. If they had stripped him I don't think he could have complained.
                why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

I understand (but don't necessarily agree with) the IAAF's decision to strip Kelli's 100 medal for not declaring the medication on her form, and can see why they feel justified in doing so. But why strip her 200 medal when the medication was provably NOT in her system for that race? Isn't this penalizing her for not declaring a substance she did not take? What sense does that make? This smacks of some seriously ad-hoc rule-making to me.

Comment

>I understand (but don't necessarily agree with)
                    >the IAAF's decision to strip Kelli's 100 medal
                    >for not declaring the medication on her form, and
                    >can see why they feel justified in doing so. But
                    >why strip her 200 medal when the medication was
                    >provably NOT in her system for that race? Isn't
                    >this penalizing her for not declaring a substance
                    >she did not take? What sense does that make?
                    >This smacks of some seriously ad-hoc rule-making
                    >to me.

The rule is that she is out of the meet. Nothing ad-hoc about it.

Comment

>But why strip her 200 medal when the medication
                      >was provably NOT in her system for that race?

Clarification: the test did not come back positive. That doesn't mean there was nothing in her system.

Anyway, where were all you champions of athletic justice when all this was happening to Ben Johnson?

Comment

<<<Kim Collins did the same thing at Commonwealth Games last year. He did not list his inhaler (Salbutamol) but they allowed him to keep his medal. Granted he normally lists it but forgot that time. If they had stripped him I don't think he could have complained>>><

i am glad they didn't and if they did he would have complained i am sure like any logical human being. i guess athletes are not allowed to have medical problems, they are gods i guess !
                        but this is ALL ABOUT POLITICS and right now it is not good to be an american if you are competing in international sports.
                        i think the pressure now is on masbach and the usatf entirely. i want to see what will happen if the exonorate white. will the iaaf go for that or will they refer the matter to CAS ? and how will that affect the relationship between the iaaf and the usatf ?

Comment

>i think the pressure now
                          >is on masbach and the usatf entirely.

To be precise about it, the pressure is actually on the USADA.

Comment

"where were all you champions of athletic justice when all this was happening to Ben Johnson?"

Well, let's see - something NOT on the list and of dubious assistance vs. something definitely at the top of the list that was TOTALLY responsible for his success. That's where we were.

Comment

Ben Johnson took anabolic steroids, which were clearly banned and had been clearly shown to improve performance. Kelli White took a substance that was not on the banned list and has not been shown to improve performance. If she had declared it, as required by the rules, there would most likely have been no problem. I'm not "sticking up for" Kelli not declaring the substance, but there is quite a bit of difference between these 2 cases.

What I was asking, and what seems to have been answered (her failure to declare properly for the 100 meant she was retroactively suspended from the entire meet), is what grounds the IAAF had for stripping her 200 medal when her win in that race was apparently legitimate and legal under all of their rules.

Comment

Working...
                              X