Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so, if powell was not dq'ed in worlds

would he have beaten collins (10.07)- in light of his last 2 wins?(10.02,10.12)
    i'm surprised no one mentioned this.....

Re: so, if powell was not dq'ed in worlds

not if he were to run the way he did in Oslo. Kim Collins is at least consistent

Comment

Hehe Garry half mentioned it in the Brussels Blowout thread. He beat Kim Collins in his heat in a very easy 10.05 and I thought he was ready to challenge for a medal. But we'll never know so it is no use talking any more about it. I have him as my early pick to win in athens.
      why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

But we'll never know so
        >it is no use talking any more about it. I have
        >him as my early pick to win in athens.

i think it's significant because of the fs rule..if we did not have that rule, the world champion might have been someone other than kim...isn't it too bad that we were deprived of that opportunity...
        this rule will continue to warp results...why?
        is that what the fans want? the rule for tv over the real wc?

Comment

I am one of the fans you mentioned. I don't have all the knowledge that many of you have about starts and reaction times. I simply would like to see a fair race that includes great athletes.

Comment

If question has anything to do with what appears to be your belief that reaction times in the starting system are incorrect in some way I'd say it doesn't matter. The starter should have pulled Powell before he pulled Drummond. From what I recall of the race Powell had a visible twitch (hips/legs had some movement) where Drummond had no visible movement.

Comment

>I am one of the fans you mentioned. I don't have
              >all the knowledge that many of you have about
              >starts and reaction times. I simply would like
              >to see a fair race that includes great athletes.
              >

and that's probably what everyone wants...
              who wants the athletes thrown out???? how stupid!

Comment

But I don't think that fans truly want to see the atheletes break the rules of the event and gain an unfair advantage over their competitors. Allowing runners to "catch a flyer" just serves to ruin the competition for all involved, including the fans. I don't see how saving "stars" is worth ruining the nature of the event itself. Whether you think the current false start rule is or is not a good one (and I remain a supporter of the old 2 false starts rule), there has to be some penalty at some point for breaking the basic rules of the sport, or the rules themselves are meaningless. Simply put, if runners want to stay in the competition then they must follow those basic rules, which mandate that all runners must not move from the set position until they hear the sound of the gun.

Comment

You know I laugh every time this subject comes up becasue of all the comments that emerge about "stopping the athletes from cheating" and "not allowing them to catch a flyer" ... It is very easy to catch sprinters from "catching" flyers ... That is not what this rule does ... This rule was designed to speed of the competition ... this rule is a marketing tool ... It has nothing to do with creating a fair race or leveling the playing field ...

In answer to Louise's question there is little doubt that Powell peaked perfectly for this meet as he should have ... And had this NOT occured it is highly likely that he would have been in the hunt for the medals ... Potentially even the gold ... And the fact that he was taken out so early is a travesty ...

Comment

>"stopping the athletes from cheating" and "not
                    >allowing them to catch a flyer" ...

and the truth of the matter is....athletes don't want to get an unfair start...that's not why we run...we want a good (great) start...and as you can tell in many interviews, the athlete knows how they reacted to gun...they'll say...i got a bad start...or vice versa
                    and least of all...we don't want to get thrown out...how studid for EVERYONE>>> yes..and now the more severs rule change for TV!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X