Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mikhnevich 'news'

Reading over the eTN that just arrived, I see that he threw 71' in early August. Did anyone know that? Why was he such a shocker winner (I can't be THAT far out of the loop. T&FN didn't have a word him)? Someone had to know he was 'ready.' I though we lived in the age of instant communication. I still small something fishy here and it ain't no Russian caviar. (or Belarussian, in this case)

Re: Mikhnevich 'news'

[wow that was badly typed]

Comment

It's not North Korea, but Belarus is one of the more closed societies still left in existence. Waiting months even to see results of their Nationals is not uncommon.

Comment

The result was actually up on the ring the week before the worlds. No one really actually thought much of it, except that it did state that this was his first week back from his drug ban. Then he threw 3cm further at worlds and the rest is history.

Comment

The first 3 throwing golds went to non-favored Belarussians (MSP, MHT, WSP) and a Belarussian knocked Lars Riedel out of the medals in the discus. Hmmm...

Comment

Everything about this situation is "fishy".

1) Mikhnevich is a PROVEN drug user. His throw at World's was about a meter further than he had ever thrown in previous years.

2) Tikhon improved his hammer from 79.04 in 2002 to 84.32 in 2003, thats over 15 feet in one year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3)Kaptyukh had his best performance in 2 years at Worlds.

4)Ostapchuk (women SP silver medallist)PR'ed by over a foot at worlds.

I'll admit a lot of this is speculation on my part(except Mikhnevich). I sincerely hope that they are not part of a "dirty" program but you certainly do have to wonder...
            Hunter

Comment

shall I say it ONE MORE TIME?

All this conjecture, week in, week out, year in, yrar out, is ruining our sport. Time to give up and let human beings do what they want to do.

Prohibition did not work. It was repealed and the world went on.

Repeal all the drug limitations and let's move on.

Not trying to stimulate a thread here.

Comment

Repeal all the drug
                >limitations and let's move on.

I dont agree with your logic

Society's war on drugs hasnt worked, lets give up and give our children crack along with their allowance.

People still drive drunk despite many penalties, why dont we just give up trying and put an extra wide "shitfaced" lane next to the carpool lane.

I'll admit that was a bit over the top but stopping drug testing gives athletes 2 options-

1) Dont take drugs and give up your passion, the sport you love.
                OR
                2 Take drugs and compete but you may suffer potentially lifelong negative side-effects.

While we still have a ways to go I think the throws are a lot cleaner than they were 10-20 years ago.
                Hunter

Comment

Hunter, I have to disagree with some of your statements.

You imply that I say it's ok for kids to take crack ??!! That's ILLEGAL and should be, same with all addictive drugs.

Steroids are NOT illegal, and I do not believe they are addictive, or is EPO, etc., etc. etc.

And if someone wants to ride a bicycle without a helmet, or take EPO, or use steroids, let them do it, it's their life. Same with smoking cigarettes, but I will admit that there is some validity to the "second-hand" smoke issue.

But if an athlete wants to take NON-ILLEGAL ( as dictated by states and countries) that should be their right. It's his/her life, not mine or yours.

Spoken by the way by a person that has never taken one drug of any kind in his life and has not smoked a cigarette in 40 years.

Comment

I agree my response may have gone a little to far. My point was basically that we should not give up our effort to keep this sport as clean as possible, doing so would be a disservice to clean athletes.
                    Hunter

Comment

A-freakin-men!

Comment

Hunter, I agre with you; it makes me angry and frustrated to have to hold the position I now do.

But let me say this too, to all of us in the sports, from T&FN all down..... to a great degree we all have sort of looked the other way on this for too many years. I think we all pretty much knew that all those Eastern Euros were on the juice back in the 80's,particularly the women, but we all just went with the flow and oohed and aahed at their performances. Same thing with a lot of our weightmen. I will not name names, it does no good at this point. And no ever DARED, back in 1988, to very loudly voice suspicions about FloJo.... we just clapped our hands.

Now, everyone's on the bandwagon against all those evil drug takers, because now it is PC to do so.

We are all hypocrites to some degree, me included.

Comment

How are we hypocrites? When have we, I assume you mean the hard-core T&F fans, looked the other way? I (we) want all the cheats OUT. If it means throughing a few babies out with the bathwater (gatlin and white), so be it.

Comment

Sure the sport is probably a lot cleaner than it was in the 80's and 90's, but the problem is that drugs are still being used. Every athlete that doesn't take drugs sits on an uneven playing field. That's what continues the problem, people don't want to be beaten by a drug cheat, so they become one themselves. The only way to stop this problem is to give life bans for first offenders. Now I know that there are people that think that the drug testing isn't accurate, well simply this is because urine testing is the cheapest method of testing. If an athlete tests positive for a urine test (I'm talking nandrolone and the bad stuff, not caffeine) they could undergo a DNA test which is really accurate and only requires a hair. A positive test on that would result in a life ban and clear up the mess that has been building up. Interesting to note is that John Smith said that his wife Connie has never thrown in a totally clean competition and wonders what it would be like to throw in one. If athletes are always on an uneven playing field this problem will never go away.

Comment

Working...
                            X