Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Middle schoolers NOT ALLOWED to run the Mile?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle schoolers NOT ALLOWED to run the Mile?

Help!
    I am a middle school track coach in Chesapeake, VA. I have been fighting this rule for 5 years and I need some info to back myself up in an upcoming meeting.

Has anyone out there heard of a middle school track meet without a 1600, but a 4x200 relay instead? The farthest distance contested is the 800. The district directors realize that 4th graders have to run the mile in PE, but they don't think trained athletes can complete the distance in a meet.

I really need people to post their thoughts on this so I can get an idea of what is happening around the country in middle school t&f. Thanks!

Back in the late '80s middle schools in Tennessee (I can say that since I'm from there...) ran 1600 & 3200 for boys and girls.

How long are Virginia Middle School soccer matches and basketball games? Less than 3 minute halves?

Comment

The Middle School Championships for Florida were last weekend and we ran 1500 and 3000 for boys and girls. It makes no sense not to.

Comment

In 1965 i was a 12 year old 7th grader and ran age group track. For some reason they thought we couldnt run a mile so we had to run a 1320, 3/4 of a mile. I thought that kind of thinking was ancient history.

Not that i condone middle school age kids running the marathon but you could use it for ammo at the meeting. "Here's a kid who ran 26 miles and you wont let our kids run ONE MILE!!"

Anybody out there know the us record for 12-13 year olds for the marathon? Thanx! And good luck coach!
        phsstt!

Comment

Re: Middle schoolers NOT ALLOWED to run the Mile?

Originally posted by GoFaster97
          Help!
          I am a middle school track coach in Chesapeake, VA. I have been fighting this rule for 5 years and I need some info to back myself up in an upcoming meeting.

Has anyone out there heard of a middle school track meet without a 1600, but a 4x200 relay instead? The farthest distance contested is the 800. The district directors realize that 4th graders have to run the mile in PE, but they don't think trained athletes can complete the distance in a meet.

I really need people to post their thoughts on this so I can get an idea of what is happening around the country in middle school t&f. Thanks!
          4th gradrs (9 year olds) HAVE to run the mile. Wow, times have really changed from sprint races up and down the gym floor and...dodgeball!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
            In 1965 i was a 12 year old 7th grader and ran age group track. For some reason they thought we couldnt run a mile so we had to run a 1320, 3/4 of a mile. I thought that kind of thinking was ancient history.
            I had a 3/4 mile experience also. In seventh grade, that's the distance the Waggener Junior High School Field Day Committee selected as the final event, after the sack races and balloon tosses were over. But on Field Day, it was about 85F and in the Waggener Junior High School Field Day Mission Control Headquarters, a decision was made: shorten the race to 440 yards so nobody ends up in the ER. They told us about five minutes before the race so the five of us who were also on the track team had to quickly adjust our psyche for a non-staggered mass-start (about thirty kids) 440. Can you imagine the IOC coming up to Geb and Bekele and company five minutes before the 10K and saying, "Guys, it's too hot out there. We're just going to run 3K tonight"? Sheesh!

Anyway, I agree it's nuts that these kids can't run a mile (oops, 1600m) race. Absolutely no good reason for that decision.

Comment

We live in an age when playgrounds outlaw running!

Comment

Originally posted by bekeselassie
                We live in an age when playgrounds outlaw running!
                Playgrounds will be gone soon also.
                phsstt!

Comment

In North Carolina middle schools run the '880' and the 'mile' which are two and four laps. I never saw a meet on a track more than 10 years old...

They also ran a short sprint of 80M (yards?) but usually fixed the start at the start for the 100 and moved the finish.

Watching one of those meets was a bizarre experience. The people running the meets were not generally inclined to accept help either.

Comment

Working...
                  X