Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, I think it means that if you want to run fast at all, don't go to the U.K. :-)

Comment

So the fact that there is not huge amounts of money in our beloved sport is biting us in the ass and hindering track from make huge amounts of money?
      phsstt!

Comment

GH Sorry, but you just don't understand the economics involved. Remember, the only reason we're getting European meets on wcsn is because the IAAF and USATF got together and arranged it because American TV won't touch it with a 10-footer. TV is not going to cough up that kind of money for a series of 10-second races in an event where pulled muscles continually sit on the horizon.
        I think your suggestions are more realistic.
        That said, if I were the agent I'd be pushing the agenda I spoke of earlier and perhaps waste my time. People can be persuaded into all kinds of things....
        On the other side of the coin as a fan I don't really care what so and so makes.
        It's all about the spectacle.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceFlorman
          Originally posted by gh
          ESPN has an even bigger brother, and that's ABC (network TV, now we're talking!). But ABC is showing the Indy 500 that afternoon, so that's out of the question.
          Actually, given the amount of rain we've had so far this May in Indy, ABC might be wise to have a "plan B" readily at hand.
          But the FDA put the kibbosh on Plan B.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            Don Quarrie and Steve Williams met 8 times in the 100 in '75, splitting 4-4 (and ranking 2-1). In the 200 they met 9 times, Q winning 5-4. And 1-2 there.

So overall they met 17 times (!!!!!!!!!).
            "Boy, the way Glenn Miller played....."

Comment

Re: how about tomatoes?

Originally posted by Runnerdave
              how about tomatoes and eggs? To be thrown to these two chickens in each of their 100m "races" :evil:
              Did you say the same thing when, at the 1999 Coca-Cola Modesto Relays, a certain "avoidance issue" brewed? Recall that Maurice Greene and Ato Boldon, ranked No. 1 and No. 2 in the world, agreed to race in different heats (Boldon 9,89w and Greene 9,91w). 1993 Cal Poly Inviational: Butch Reynolds and Andrew Valmon - training partners who would go on to comprise 1/2 of the World Champs 4x400m team later that summer - ran in different "seeded" heats of the 400m?

Comment

Re: how about tomatoes?

Originally posted by EPelle
                Recall that Maurice Greene and Ato Boldon, ranked No. 1 and No. 2 in the world, agreed to race in different heats (Boldon 9,89w and Greene 9,91w).
                I can only assume their earning power is proportional to their position in the year end rankings. If this is true, it might make sense to avoid match races unless you are near your peak.

Comment

Working...
                X