Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track and WHAT????

Take a look at the list of events at Sunday's Adidas Track Classic. http://www.adidastrackclassic.com/2006/ ... esults.htm

There is exactly ONE field event. And apparently, the organization that calls itself USA Track and Field has not only sanctioned this meet, but is heavily involved in its promotion.

Last year there were five field events at the same meet.

I don't think any further comment is required.

Re: Track and WHAT????

Originally posted by The Kitchen Cynic
    Take a look at the list of events at Sunday's Adidas Track Classic. http://www.adidastrackclassic.com/2006/ ... esults.htm

There is exactly ONE field event. And apparently, the organization that calls itself USA Track and Field has not only sanctioned this meet, but is heavily involved in its promotion.

Take a look at the name of the meet. Closely.
    https://twitter.com/walnuthillstrak

Comment

Another joke of a promotion of our sport by the governing body. I'll always call it FIELD and track in my heart

Kurt

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt Francis
        Another joke of a promotion of our sport by the governing body. I'll always call it FIELD and track in my heart

Kurt
        And I will always call you Francis Kurt in mine

Comment

I assume you are just as appalled at pole vault summits and throw fests?

In fact, the USATF convention in 2004 had a throws-only meet in conjunction with their annual meeting. I personally am outraged! How could USATF show such little regard for the TRACK athletes?

Comment

In fact, the USATF convention in 2004 had a throws-only meet in conjunction with their annual meeting. I personally am outraged! How could USATF show such little regard for the TRACK athletes?
            ... and a few of the recent meetings have had RW events contested there, last year in Jax the 1 Hour champs was held. I helped win the team title. YAY ME!

Comment

I think guru makes a good point above. If we can think outside the box a little, who says all track meets must contain the same events run the same way? The pole vault summits, relay meets, and track only meets are all interesting. They break out of the mold and offer a fresh look at the sport. I'm a track fan myself. But I'd happily watch a "field only" meet IF they sped things up a little and kept the action going. I think I'd enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt Francis

Kurt
                That:s why we call it "athletics" - no misinterpretation, nor mis-representation on the score card.

Comment

Originally posted by guru

Take a look at the name of the organization that's promoting this meet. Closely.

Comment

I assume you are just as appalled at pole vault summits and throw fests?
                    Not at all. Those are niche things, designed to highlight certain events. Perfectly ok. But the adidas meet is part of USATF's Visa Championship Series, it's part of a big tv package, and it's one of the few vehicles that's being used to showcase the sport's best athletes to a national tv audience. The field event people--the athletes and the fans--deserve better than the very short shrift they are getting from this particular meet.

Comment

The Carson meet is all part of USATF's "make it TV friendly" (their point of view, not mine) by minimizing those pesky field events which just get in the way. Note nationals schedules of last few years, with field events at times being almost cmopletely absent (or completely) as the meet winds down to the "climax."

The handful of field-only (usually single-event) competitions that are staged don't remotely balance with this ongoing shoddy treatment.

Comment

Take a look at the name of the organization that's promoting this meet. Closely.

Obviously missed my point.

Comment

Originally posted by bekeselassie
                          I'm a track fan myself. But I'd happily watch a "field only" meet IF they sped things up a little and kept the action going. I think I'd enjoy it.
                          Funny, as a competitor I was a middle distance runner, but as a fan I have gravitated towards the more technical events, which means hurdles and field events. I have a relatively hard time watching any race over four laps, and even most of the four lappers are dull.

Comment

What a shame, especially for people like me who have really come to love the field events. I'm a former distance runner and used to always watch meets from the finish line, but now I usually try to figure out which will be the best field event competition, plant myself in front of that pit, and watch the meet from there.
                            "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                              Funny, as a competitor I was a middle distance runner, but as a fan I have gravitated towards the more technical events, which means hurdles and field events. I have a relatively hard time watching any race over four laps, and even most of the four lappers are dull.
                              Heretic!!

Comment

Working...
                              X