Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best 5km Ever!

Riding the recent wave of enthusiasm, regarding distance track running, thanks to two spectacular events in Paris, I would like to air a theory.
    That the 5km race in Paris WC was the best that there has ever been.
    Although my experience of following T&F closely is really rather small, I cannot think of a field assembled where no actually had a clue what the result would be.
    It had who most people consider the best miler/1500m runner ever (certainly the quickest) up against a man double, double at world crossy.
    The distance versus the miler. Both of these guys had run and won their specialties. Chebi in good form victory over Bekele to his credit ( the only person to do so) and fresh. Yet what makes this race so good is that although there were three clear favourites it was an unknown 18 year old who out raced them all, with all their credentials.
    If there has been a better race I would love to have seen it.

Re: The best 5km Ever!

>.....I cannot think of a field assembled
    >where no actually had a clue what the result
    >would be....

Try the men's 100m!!

Comment

Maybe if Stephen Cherono had been in the race I'd agree with you. Can you imagine, the 1500, steeple and 10K champs all facing off over 5000?

Comment

There was a pretty good in Atlanta in 1996.

Comment

I'd say the 5k at Zurich in 1997 is up there as well. By the way, that whole meet was ridiculously good.

Comment

1964 Olympic 5000m - Schul's last 300 meters was amazing - the announcer called the race great too - awesome 5000m - think race can be viewed even today on several websites (can't think of any offhand).

By the way - Schul is still coaching today in Dayton, Ohio.

Comment

http://www.runningpast.com/vintage_media.htm

http://www.bobschul.com/

Comment

I'd like to nominate the 1960 Olympic 5K, in which Murray Halberg sprinted a 61.1 lap (yes, not that impressive by today's standards, but...) with 3 1/2 laps to go, then grimly hung on to win the gold. Great description of the race, too, in the 1960 T&F N Olympic issue.

Another great 5K was the Compton Invitational of 1962 (I think), when Bruce Kidd basically pulled the same trick on Halberg himself and upset him.

Cheers,
                Alan Shank

Comment

I agree with No Name: in recent history, the '97 Zurich race stands pretty well alone as a true competitive race, although Geb's solo run in '95 was positively mind-blowing.

Comment

The best 5k? '76 Olympic final in Montreal. Recent WR setter Dick Quax (also a fast 1500 meter man), Rod Dixon (a top 1500 guy moving up), a pretty decent pace and a gut wrenching build up over the last 4 laps. I remember thinking every second of the last 2 laps that any one of the lead pack was going to pass Viren, but the guy just kept going faster and faster and faster and no one could go by him. Then Hildenbrand grabs bronze in the last inches just for good measure. This after the 10k gold and 5k heat and on his way to the marathon. I haven't seen a better one yet. Of course, I haven't seen them all, either. (Go ahead, someone. Pop my bubble by bringing up blood doping.)

Comment

>(Go
                      >ahead, someone. Pop my bubble by bringing up
                      >blood doping.)

A general response to the whole Viren/doping argument: Viren was a favorite going into his first Olympics. I just got my hands on Jim McKay's "My Wide World", where he said that one of the top London bookmakers had Viren as the odds-on favorite for both the 5k and 10k in '72.

Comment

Huh? Jim McKay said some London bookmakers had Viren as a Munich favorite. So did some of TFN's international panel. How the heck does that relate to blood doping? The blood-doping accusations began in Munich after his wins there.

Jim McKay as a definitive source of track&field history? That's rich!

Comment

>Huh? Jim McKay said some London bookmakers had
                          >Viren as a Munich favorite.

Depends on when they made the books.
                          Viren ran sub-27 and 8:14 for the 10,000 and 2-mile a few weeks before Munich. Before that, the Finn getting all the attention was Vaatinen off his European double (with scorching kick) in 1971.

Does sound like a little after-the-fact US network expertise, though. Kind of like when they tape-delay a broadcast and then go back and re-call the race...making themselves more "expert", of course.

Comment

Brian, How could Viren have run a sub 27:00 10,000m before Munich when He set the world record there at 27:38.4? As good as Viren was, he never broke 27:00. Ondieki of Kenya was first to run sub 27:00 10,000m as I recall....

Comment

>The best 5k? '76 Olympic final in Montreal.
                              >Recent WR setter Dick Quax (also a fast 1500
                              >meter man), Rod Dixon (a top 1500 guy moving
                              >up), a pretty decent pace and a gut wrenching
                              >build up over the last 4 laps. I remember
                              >thinking every second of the last 2 laps that
                              >any one of the lead pack was going to pass
                              >Viren, but the guy just kept going faster and
                              >faster and faster and no one could go by him.
                              >Then Hildenbrand grabs bronze in the last
                              >t inches just for good measure. This after the
                              >10k gold and 5k heat and on his way to the
                              >marathon. I haven't seen a better one yet. Of
                              >course, I haven't seen them all, either. (Go
                              >ahead, someone. Pop my bubble by bringing up
                              >blood doping.)
                              Nah, won't pop your bubble. With some of the things that have been happening the last couple of weeks, with big names popped and athletes missing the worlds due to sickness, yet recovering incredibly fast from these mystery illnesses and pneumonia to run PR's, etc., I would bet Viren and the rest were cleaner (most totally clean) than any of the hot shots of the last decade or so.

Comment

Working...
                              X