Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by figo
    all you gun tot'in american track stars... you know what to do...
    Sadly, I was just bluffing. I'm a pacifist. The only guns I "own" are locked away in my dad's gun cabinet 45 minutes away from here and haven't been in my hands since about age 18. (I'm double that age now.)
    "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
      Like all of you I was incredulous, then amused thinking of all the P.O.'ed other fans out there.
      My thoughts exactly. I watched the first half of the meet with about a one hour TiVo delay, then had to leave for the afternoon. Got back and just finished the meet. All along I was thinking of all of you bitching and moaning (for good reason) about this. They did manage to miss the men’s 200, but cut into most of the build-up time. Loved the 800: Krumm is down – let’s go watch an intentional walk – next race please.

OK, so T&F gets dumped on again. I’m shocked!! Not to be totally negative about ESPN. They did show (most of) this meet, and have the rest of the Visa challenge coming up (Pre, Ricker’s Island, USATF). Better than nothing.

And I watched the Pac-10 champs yesterday, and am watching the Big 12 right now. And have the Big East waiting on the TiVo. Plus the NCAA is getting some live action this year. Seems like this is a better than average year for TV coverage of domestic meets.

Comment

It has been apparent for a loooong time that baseball is a Republican plot to keep track and field off TV. And it is working. Case in point.

Sidebar: Used to be a Communist plot, but that is gone, so there is only just the one evil empire :evil: Note to Bret/Garry. If you aren't going to continue the emoticons, lose the graphics. Thanx

Comment

Originally posted by mike renfro
          Note to Bret/Garry. If you aren't going to continue the emoticons, lose the graphics. Thanx
          Bret's not the webmaster. That would be Ben.
          "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

Flip side of this: all those ESPN:ers who were forced to watch a 1.500m live on Sports Center back in June 2001 when they wanted to see other highlights instead.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
              Flip side of this: all those ESPN:ers who were forced to watch a 1.500m live on Sports Center back in June 2001 when they wanted to see other highlights instead.
              Yeah, except even then, they got to see THEIR highlights in their entirety. I love how they cut away from races and came back to see the winner bent over in exhaustion. How exciting!

I wonder how many nasty e-mails they got and how big a laugh they got while deleting them!

Comment

"Why can't they do a split screen?"
                ------------
                There is another technique (tape replay) that could have been applied for major omissions at Adidas meet -- such as last 45 seconds of men's 800m and last 25 seconds of women's 1500m. It's often used to show again some finishes of distance runs and the entirety of sprints.

Failing to use such a basic Broadcast 101 technique could result in a failng grade for student production. But maybe the ESPN "pros," who should know better, had a problem not yet revealed.

Example: Was the network cutaway to baseball known by the track coverage crew so they could cue up a replay? I had stopped my VCR at the cutaway to Bonds, expecting to start again when the missed portion was shown on tape.

Walt Murphy may be able to uncover the inside story and share with us.

Comment

Originally posted by James Fields
                  Example: Was the network cutaway to baseball known by the track coverage crew so they could cue up a replay?
                  It was obviously known by the announcing crew, who would say something like 'Welcome back to Carson, CA, blah, blah, blah'.

Comment

Originally posted by einnod23
                    Historory will always pre-empt regular programming!!!!!!! It doesn't matter who's watching what!!!!!!!
                    What history are you talking about? Last time I checked Hank Aaron had the most home runs?

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                      But those were highlights, not live action. It's not like ESPN didn't show the highlights because the 1500 ran long. I'm sure they showed all the expected highlights and those watching for the highlights missed nothing.

In yesterday's case, the interrupted events never had their finish shown. So, we T&F fans missed out.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                        Historory will always pre-empt regular programming!!!!!!! It doesn't matter who's watching what!!!!!!!
                        What history are you talking about? Last time I checked Hank Aaron had the most home runs?
                        Catching Ruth is history as well. Last time I checked, no one else (juiced or not) has come close to Ruth, let alone Aaron)!!!!!

I love this sport just as much as anyone else on this board. But until someone in this sport has a clear vision to put T&F in a position where it has some media influence........

If this was the Oly 100m final, I can understand, but DAMN!!!!!! The Adidas Classic??????

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                          Catching Ruth is history as well. Last time I checked, no one else (juiced or not) has come close to Ruth, let alone Aaron)!!!!!
                          Not in the way it was when Aaron did it. And that is the way the media is playing it. Passing Willie Mays was more meaningful if you're going to look at it from a historical perspective. Did they have the split screens for that? Possibly, I don't know.

Comment

To make this clear......The Bonds at bat is a breaking news story. There is no way around it, especially since T&F has little or no media influence. And even if it did.......

I'm planning on being at Randalls Island next Saturday. I wonder if I should take my neice, to see if singers Chris Brown and Bobby Valentino show up????? Oops!!! She's waaaaay too young for Chris Brown and Bobby V. :lol:

Comment

they actually delayed the 200 meter strart for few minutes, but i did not know of the cut ins until i watched it on dvr that same night. what a shame. at least track has some drug testing and punished even people that never had positive test (collins, monty etc). baseball could not even punish bonds even they found him with a needle and syringe in the dugout and his trainer injecting him. what a bunch of bovine excrement....

Comment

Colorado plays at San Francisco on Sunday, with the game starting at 4:05 p.m. Eastern time. Oh nooooooooooooooooooo!

Since the Pre Classic broadcasts 5-7 p.m. Eastern time that day, we have more potential BB cutaways.

Let's just hope BB gets that damn 715 before Sunday.

(Or does the fact that Pre is on ESPN2 -- and not ESPN -- mean there's less a chance of s--t happening?)

K E N
                                K E N

Comment

Working...
                                X