• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IAAF - European domination

>Like the UN their is obviously anti-American
    >sediment in the IAAF. The IAAF would be thrilled
    >if US track and field when downhill.

Be fair. It's obvious that the IAAF wants track & field to succeed in North America. Europe is almost tapped out, & athletics television viewership (while still high compared to North America) is zig zagging. Spectatorship seems to be fine, but several European meets have been axed.

North America presents a great growth opportunity for the IAAF. Otherwise, explain why Edmonton got the 2001 world championships? Sherbrooke got the 2003 world youth championships, even though there is no large fan base for youth athletics in Canada? Los Angeles will host the 2006 IAAF World Cup, even though it hasn't demonstrated a large fan base (although the new Home Depot meet shows promise) & even though it will occur when a host of more popular sports have big events in the U.S.?

Comment

>Gary Hill, have you ever written about the
      >glaring double standard applied to Issajenko
      >(stripping her of a 50m record, world indoor 60m
      >silver, and removing her name from official WIC
      >results), while Ruth Fuchs can "come out" about
      >her steroid use and nobody bats an eye?>>

Jeez, just what the board needs, another whiney Canadian. Everybody else in the world is sorry for you guys, but it was YOUR guy Ben who got caught redhanded (yelloweyed?) and prompted an investigation by YOUR government, and it was YOUR Issajenko who swore under oath that she was dirty. Nobody else has done this. Sorry about that, eh, but that's the way life works. You guys don't seem like you'll ever be happy until you drag the rest of the sport down with you.

(And no, I don't think Ben was the only dirty one; and he may even have been the victim of a conspiracy, but HE GOT CAUGHT, plain and simple. You'll have to live with that. Wouldn't your/our life be easier if you just forgot about it?)

Comment

>Gary Hill, have you ever written about the
        >glaring double standard applied to Issajenko
        >(stripping her of a 50m record, world indoor 60m
        >silver, and removing her name from official WIC
        >results), while Ruth Fuchs can "come out" about
        >her steroid use and nobody bats an eye?>>

You won't like it, but at this point, allow me to cite IAAF rule 55.8, regarding "coming clean" (this was instituted in the wake of the Dubin Inquiry; the IOC has something similar, so far as I know): <<An admission may be made either orally in a verifiable manner or in writing. For the purpose of these rules [caps mine] A STATEMENT IS NOT TO BE REGARDED AS AN ADMISSION WHERE IT WAS MADE MORE THAN SIX YEARS AFTER THE FACTS TO WHICH IT RELATES>>

It's your basic statue of limitations, a concept I believe recognized in most legal systems except under the most heinous of circumstances.

Comment

kurt, you're talking nonsense mate.

So what if Europeans make up the highest % of the IAAF? Do you not think each country has it's own agenda, it's own demands, it's own ethos? Why on earth lump all european countries together simply by geography? There is absolutely no logic there. There are vast differences between Germany and the UK, France and Greece, Italy and Switzeland, it's incidental that they are all in Europe. What exactly do you think benefits, say, a french representative by having a ukranian representative in there also?

And then you go on and write further nonsense like 'ignoring the Russian landmass around the Urals..' why? Why ignore that? "Oh, I know, we'll just ignore RSA, and Nigeria and Morocco and make Africa smaller" WTF! Why? Why ignore Russia's landmass if you want to look at landmass??

And where is the evidence that the Soviet Union had a programme similar to the GDR? Clearly documented was it? Have you actually had access to the stasi files that mentions (very few) GDR athletes? I think not.
          And what about all the US drug cheats from the same era? The Kersee camp, the Chuck de Bus camp, the John Smith camp? All have been implicated in one way or another... you think Flo Jo was clean? Ha! You think JJK was clean? Ha! You think Devers is Clean! Was Carl Lewis clean? What about Butch Reynolds?

You need to look again mate.

Comment

This is the pot calling the kettle black, but I particularly liked these typos from posts above:

"Like the UN their is obviously anti-American sediment in the IAAF"

* * * How deep is that sediment now?

"It's your basic statue of limitations"

* * * What harbor is that statue standing in?

Comment

"And where is the evidence that the Soviet Union had a programme similar to the GDR? Clearly documented was it?"

Steve, did you miss the thread three down from this one?

"A former top Soviet sports scientist has revealed a secret document that buttresses long-held suspicions that Soviet sporting success was built on the systematic use of banned anabolic steroids." - Salt Lake Tribune

Comment

>This is the pot calling the kettle black, but I
                >particularly liked these typos from posts
                >above:

"Like the UN their is obviously
                >anti-American sediment in the IAAF"

* * * How
                >deep is that sediment now?

"It's your basic
                >statue of limitations"

* * * What harbor is
                >that statue standing in?

HAHA!

I'm willing to bet my house on the fact that this 'Steve' will retort with "It's a typographical error, don't you know what one is.. wah wah wah wah....(repeat to fade)"

Comment

"Like the UN their is
                  >obviously
                  >anti-American sediment in the
                  >IAAF"

* * * How
                  >deep is that sediment now?
                  >

HAHA!

I'm willing to
                  >bet my house on the fact that this 'Steve' will
                  >retort with "It's a typographical error, don't
                  >you know what one is.. wah wah wah wah....(repeat
                  >to fade)"

Actually, I think it's a topographical error.

Comment

"You won't like it, but at this point, allow me to cite IAAF rule 55.8, regarding "coming clean" (this was instituted in the wake of the Dubin Inquiry; the IOC has something similar, so far as I know): <<An admission may be made either orally in a verifiable manner or in writing. For the purpose of these rules [caps mine] A STATEMENT IS NOT TO BE REGARDED AS AN ADMISSION WHERE IT WAS MADE MORE THAN SIX YEARS AFTER THE FACTS TO WHICH IT RELATES>>"

Actually I am more than a bit grateful that you took the time to reply, so thank you very much. I was wondering if something like this was the case. One also has to wonder how the passing of time makes something wrong suddenly not wrong. Clearly the answer is: EXPEDIENCE. Fortunately our legal system does not, for the vast most part, operate in the same way. If I rob you today, I will still be guilty if it is found out six years from now. And ROBBERY is what drug users, from whatever country, perpetrate at Olympics and Worlds when they cart off medals which clean athletes should have won.

Comment

Erm... I guess you need some education in the working of the US legal system. Statutes of limitation apply to robberies as well - maybe the period is longer than 6 years (I'm not aware of the details), but after enough time has passed, you can no longer be taken to court for a crime you committed.
                      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

"Fortunately our legal system does not, for the vast most part, operate in the same way. If I rob you today, I will still be guilty if it is found out six years from now."

Michael, this is simply not true, which was exactly Garry's point. For instance, the statute of limitations for robbery here in New York State is 5 years, and all other U.S. states, and as far as I know Canadian provinces (I know it's true in Ontario) have similar laws. This means that if no action is brought within 5 years from the date of the incident in question that you cannot be tried for or convicted of a crime for that incidence. It's a plain and simple concept that is enshrined in most modern legal systems.

Comment

"Jeez, just what the board needs, another whiney Canadian. Everybody else in the world is sorry for you guys, but it was YOUR guy Ben who got caught redhanded (yelloweyed?) and prompted an investigation by YOUR government, and it was YOUR Issajenko who swore under oath that she was dirty. Nobody else has done this. Sorry about that, eh, but that's the way life works. You guys don't seem like you'll ever be happy until you drag the rest of the sport down with you."

Jeez, just what this board needs, another lazy moron who can't take the time to read what others post before formulating a sloppy mound of drivel for a reply. If you had bothered to read the many posts I have made on the subject, you would know that I am objecting to the inconsistent application of rules and the fact that world records still stand which were made by known cheaters. I don't give a rats ass in hell what country anyone involved is from. If the IAAF allows dirty athlete X from Timbuk2 to keep a record while ignoring clear evidence that she is guilty, but in another case applies penalties to athlete Y from Mars, when neither have failed a drug test, that's bullshit. For your information, there was a long-standing feud in Canada between Angela Bailey and Angella Issajenko, going as far as a fistfight at one indoor meet in Toronto, because Bailey had the moxie to call Issajenko what she was: A GREAT BIG FAT CHEAT. The most galling example of hypocrisy from either the IOC or IAAF, for me, was refusing Australian Raelene Boyle's attempt to have fraudlein Renate Stecher's 2 Munich sprint golds handed over to their rightful owner. Boyle showed up at the World Championships in 1999 trying to hawk her 2 silvers from Munich to pay for breast cancer treatments. Do you think the frigging IOC or IAAF gives a damn that she was beat by a cheat? Do you?

People like you are what allows the IAAF to continue with their gutless, unprincipled 2-faced behaviour which has made athletics into a freakshow of disrepute. Go pat yourself on the back and call someone else with the balls to stand up for something, a whiner. Yeah right. Next.

Comment

"For instance, the statute of limitations for robbery here in New York State is 5 years"

No wonder white collar crime is so lucrative. Sit it out till the coast is clear and then enjoy your millions. I could easily be patient for 5 years.

Comment

Erm... I guess you need some education in the working of the US legal system.

That may be so, and I may have set myself up for nitpicking by not sticking to the REAL point, the moral issue, and making reference to "robbery" and "6 years". Let's go at this from another angle then. Currently some Canadian provincial governments (BC for example) are in negotiations with indigenous peoples over land claims. What do you think is the basic principle at stake in such an argument? Further there have ALREADY BEEN land claims adjustments made on the same moral basis: something WRONG happened in the DISTANT PAST and was RECOGNIZED as such, and REPARATIONS made ACCORDINGLY. How about all the soul-searching going on in the US over how African-Americans were treated? Do people want to say, well sorry bro, but your complaint is WAY OUT OF DATE, can't help ya now. Another example: Nazi hunters: our government has deported people because of what they did DECADES ago. SO PLEASE, DON'T TELL ME THAT WE DON'T APPLY ETHICAL/MORAL STANDARDS ANY LONGER THAN 6 YEARS AFTER THE FACT.

Comment

Actually I'll have to admit here to being wrong on one count. Upon further research it appears that most Canadian provinces do not have statutes of limitations in criminal matters, but only in civil matters.

As this article from the Canadian publication the National Post states, this makes Canada different from the U.S. and from nearly all of the legal systems in Europe.

http://www.efc.ca/pages/media/national- ... jun99.html

Comment

Working...
                                X