Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tafnut

This thread just went over 120 replies. Guess what they means? Time to agree to disagree. A reaction < than .10 is 99.9999% assured to not be a 'reaction' - it's an anticipation = false start. The rest is just details.

Re: tafnut

Dear tafnut,
    You didn't get enough sleep last night. This is not a new thread; it's a reply to the bloated 'reaction time' thread. Go take a nap.

Comment

tafnut, thank you. If I have to read one more posting about reaction times I will faint. Talk about minutia !!!

Comment

>tafnut, thank you. If I have to read one more
        >posting about reaction times I will faint. Talk
        >about minutia !!!>

Surprisingly you'll find that you don't HAVE to read any threads.

It's easy to discern the threads you might not like. I could be wrong about this but if I were not interested in reading any more posts about reaction times I would probably resist the urge to click on a thread with the very evasive subject title of 'reaction times'.

Maybe it's me.

Comment

>>tafnut, thank you. If I have to read one
          >more
          >posting about reaction times I will faint.
          >Talk
          >about minutia !!!>

Surprisingly you'll
          >find that you don't HAVE to read any threads.
          >

It's easy to discern the threads you might
          >not like. I could be wrong about this but if I
          >were not interested in reading any more posts
          >about reaction times I would probably resist the
          >urge to click on a thread with the very evasive
          >subject title of 'reaction times'.

Maybe
          >it's me.
          no, it's not just you...and what we should do is have 2 threads running now- that way those that don't want to read about it will have 2 areas not to click on!! hahahaha

Comment

Dutra, easier said than done. I find myself sucked into these interminable threads, the same way I involuntarily slow down to see a bad accident. I'm asking you guys to stop having these train-wreck type threads that are keeping me from having a productive life. Thank you for your understanding.
            An inveterate trackaholic,
            tafnut

Comment

Tafnut, my apologies! Even as a significant contributer to the thread in question, I am about to give up on it as well.

Comment

Tafnut - Did you get my email...?

Comment

yes - did you get my reply? An emphatic affirmative!!

Comment

Tafnut can't leave this one alone!
                    One more time for the slow reactors: every sprinter anticipates every start, anyone who waits and reacts gets left at blocks and soon quits the sprints for something less stressful. Nevermind the .1 second standard, no human could really wait for the gun and react anywhere close to the "reaction" times of fast sprinters. They all anticipate, everytime... just have to be careful not to be too good at it.

Comment

>>every sprinter anticipates every start, anyone who waits and reacts gets left at blocks<<

really? that has certainly not been my experience as athlete or coach (it's hard to say as 'fan' cuz I have no idea what the elites are thinking). My experience has been that the best reaction times are by those who 'react to' rather than 'listen for' the gun. We train that here at our school. I've never had an athlete, or known one, who was a consistently successful 'anticipator'. In HS or NCAA that would be a fatal mistake.

Comment

>>>every sprinter anticipates every start, anyone who waits and reacts gets left
                        >at blocks<<

really? that has certainly not been my experience as athlete or
                        >coach (it's hard to say as 'fan' cuz I have no idea what the elites are
                        >thinking). My experience has been that the best reaction times are by those who
                        >'react to' rather than 'listen for' the gun. We train that here at our school.
                        >I've never had an athlete, or known one, who was a consistently successful
                        >'anticipator'. In HS or NCAA that would be a fatal mistake.

There is definitely anticipation to the gun in every athlete that lines up for a race.
                        The situation is such that they are expecting a gun to be fired very soon after the word "set". In that sense they are anticipating the sound of the gun. The reaction time recorded in this circumstance is not the same as a reaction time to an unexpected stimulus (or gunbeing fired).
                        What happens when a starter says "set" and then holds the athletes for a long time (in the starting sense)? More often than not many athletes jump and others often go inreaction to the false starter(s). All this without a gun being fired because they are all anticipating.

Comment

>>All this without a gun >being fired because they are all anticipating.<<

well, now we're just into semantics. Of course ALL sprinters anticipate that a gun will be going off pretty soon! I was under the impression that in sprinters' jargon, 'anticipating' means you're going at a certain interval after 'set', gun or no gun, as Lalova did in her 10.77.

Comment

well, now we're just into semantics. Of course ALL sprinters
                            >anticipate that a gun will be going off pretty soon! I was under the impression
                            >that in sprinters' jargon, 'anticipating' means you're going at a certain
                            >interval after 'set', gun or no gun, as Lalova did in her 10.77.

I really don't think it's semantics. It may seem like a small point I'm trying to make, but I think it's significant. They all anticipate the gun coming at a certain time and when it doesn't many, sometimes all, of them twitch, move and catch themselves, or jump outright.

Their decision to start is as much based upon anticipation of an impending gun as it is on the sound. A fast gun and they all start but with slow reaction times, a slow gun and a lot of false starts occur. A well timed gun and it looks like they are all waiting for the sound before they start, but they aren't. They just anticipated it well.

Comment

It's hard to believe anyone in HS or NCAA is willing to take the chance of trying to 'guess the gun' (another way of saying 'anticipating').

Comment

Working...
                              X