Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bekeselassie
    But keep in mind that if it's all for money, then they obviously must race at least a few times this year. Otherwise, it's all for nothing. We fans will get ours. Worry not.
    I certainly hope so. But there's really no "must" about it. If their respective camps are asking for more $$ than the biggest promoters (Zurich) want to shell out, they most certainly will not meet.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
      I certainly hope so. But there's really no "must" about it. If their respective camps are asking for more $$ than the biggest promoters (Zurich) want to shell out, they most certainly will not meet.
      You're absolutely right. This has happened before and will undoubtedly happen again. A match-up that everyone wants to see doesn't happen because the parties think the race is worth more than any meet promoter is willing to pay for it. Which means, almost by definition, that it's not really worth that much at all. But if they stick to an unrealistic asking price, there will be no match race.

Let's hope that is not the way this one plays out. That sort of situation is never good for the sport or its fans.

Comment

Here's Steve Kelley's take on yesterday's Gatlin/Powell races in the Seattle Times:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/s ... ell29.html

Comment

Originally posted by paulmerca
          Here's Steve Kelley's take on yesterday's Gatlin/Powell races in the Seattle Times:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/s ... ell29.html
          The franchise is a two man thing. I'm glad to see they (Gatlin and Powell) recognize that . Good for them.

Comment

Wouldn't they pocket more appearance fees at some Golden League meet than what they will get at the '07 Worlds??

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
              Wouldn't they pocket more appearance fees at some Golden League meet than what they will get at the '07 Worlds??
              I would think so. The WC holds all the cards. The athletes need to be there.

Comment

All depends on how one's contract is written. If you've got a $100K bonus written in for a gold medal, and you also get $60,000 from the IAAF for winning, unlikely any GL meet will be paying that much in appearance fee.

Comment

After visiting Eugene yesterday for the Pre meet, I have a few questions about the upcoming 2008 Oly Trials you might have the answer to.
                  Originally posted by gh
                  All depends on how one's contract is written. If you've got a $100K bonus written in for a gold medal, and you also get $60,000 from the IAAF for winning, unlikely any GL meet will be paying that much in appearance fee.
                  True, but the athletes will get that from the WC whether they meet ahead of time or not. The appearance fees for a match race prior to the WC is icing on the cake. Doesn’t make sense to hold off until then.

Comment

I would suspect that they'd do the best by putting together a package deal with 2 or 3 major meets. I strongly suspect their agents have been burning up the phone lines to Zurich, Brussels, and Paris... Not sure what other meets could even begin to afford them... Of course, at times like this, I'd LOVE to see someone else come out and blast a 9.76 to deflate their blimp of financial hopes.

Comment

After visiting Eugene yesterday for the Pre meet, I have a few questions about the upcoming 2008 Oly Trials you might have the answer to.
                      Yeah, but like Pre's "profit" that's all top-secret shit!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        Yeah, but like Pre's "profit" that's all top-secret shit!
                        Double secret probation kinds of shit.

Note: editing problems run amok.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                          If their respective camps are asking for more $$ than the biggest promoters (Zurich) want to shell out, they most certainly will not meet.
                          Wow - does that NOT make any sense to me - hold out for . . . NOTHING. If a big GL meet can't come up with the scratch, who can? Are the reps really that dense/greedy?

Like all the really stupid Pro League strikes - NO ONE WINS THESE FELLAS, but the owners can sure hold out longer than the players.

I need a BIG eye-roll emoticon for this one.

Comment

Working...
                          X