Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused about limits

At the WC there were athletes such as the Afghani female sprinter whose PR's were well below the competition level. I was under the impression that you have to have at least a B standard to be admitted.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Re: Confused about limits

Every country has the right to enter 1 male and 1 female athlete if they don't have anyone with at least a B standard.

Having said that, I think it was ridiculous of them to send an 18-second 100 meter runner to the world champs. There's no way in hell I will believe she's really the fastest in Afghanistan. I have a very strong suspicion she was selected because she was related to, or knew, someone important in her country. Apparently she spoke good English, too (obviously not very common in Afghanistan), which suggests it was a PR operation. I know Afghanistan is trying to show to the world things are changing there, and that's why they wanted to enter a female competitor, but athletes in most countries work their asses off to make it to the world's, so I'm not happy if someone who's obviously not a regular athlete gets a free trip.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

>Every country has the right to enter 1 male and 1
      >female athlete if they don't have anyone with at
      >least a B standard.

yup...and we are not at all used to seeing that on tv...it was one thing that the triple cast did...i really saw everything..and while it may not be what everyone wants (an elite athlete final) it's great to see that our sport reaches out to athletes in poorer, undeveloped countries and includes them in this great sporting event....
      also remember the jamaican bobsled team and the ski jumper from england..and on and on...

Comment

Eddie, the Eagle! Wasn't he something? LOL.
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

>Eddie, the Eagle! Wasn't he something? LOL.

Yes he was. A national embarrassment for us Brits, he even made a pop record!

Comment

I brought this up a while ago...

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/di ... ssage=3953

Comment

Re: I brought this up a while ago...

I am curious if anyone knows whether the IAAF formally or informally tries to steer countries who have no B standard athletes into entering their "bonus" athlete only in certain events and make other events off-limits. For instance, it is no big deal if an athlete takes 18 seconds in a 100 meters but it could delay the meet if an athlete takes over 40 minutes to complete a 10,000. ( I recall reading about an athlete from Haitilike this at the 1976 Olympics.)

And how low would they allow a high jumper or vaulter to come in at? I recall at least one or two weak high jumpers (unless it was in the multis) doing a weak roll instead of a flop in 1984 Olympics. I also recall seeing at the 1984 Olympoics a very slow steeplechaser and a guy in a 400 heat in lane 2 or 3 who cut inside to lane 1 right away and running in the mid-50's causing some problems for the correct athlete on the first turn.

Comment

Re: I brought this up a while ago...

I remember having kind of a "wow this is different" reaction to the sprinter from Afghanistan. But what she has done is break the ice, and no pun but that is very kewl.

Comment

>>Eddie, the Eagle! Wasn't he something?
                  >LOL.

Yes he was. A national embarrassment for
                  >us Brits, he even made a pop record!

and the bobsled team made a movie!!!

Comment

I think it was cool that she was able to go and set a NR for her country.

Prediction: New NR in Athens! (-:

Comment

If they have any women's competitions in Afghanistan before Athens, she'll have to run at least 4 seconds faster next year to set a NR. You really don't have to be phenomenally talented to run 14 secs, even with little training... which, again, is why I'm pissed off an 18-second runner gets to compete in WCh.
                      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

I am happy she is there. I look forward to seeing her run in Athens and I hope she will train and improve her time.

Comment

We have discussed this at length before (see BV's post above).

She didn't belong there; neither does anyone else who's not fast. This is an elite athletic competition and people shouldn't be allowed in unless they can compete.

The one athlete rule is silly.

Comment

>We have discussed this at length before (see BV's
                            >post above).

She didn't belong there; neither
                            >does anyone else who's not fast. This is an
                            >elite athletic competition and people shouldn't
                            >be allowed in unless they can compete.

The one
                            >athlete rule is silly.

i looked at the thread...there was no "length" or depth to it at all. I found it boring and pointless--except for the cool story about the Samoan.(-:

Blah, Blah, Blah...

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
                              and the bobsled team made a movie!!!

The dream continues.

Comment

Working...
                              X