Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong For the Sport?

Page 69 of the February 92 T&FN Issue, in LETTERS:

"THE Allegation that East German athletes, such as your Women's Athlete Of The 1980's, Marita Koch, used steroids regularly and systematically may not come as much of a surprise to any track fan, but if documents exist proving these charges then the time has come to finally come to grips with this issue.
    If these charges prove correct, then it may be necessary to rewrite the last 20 years of track & field history. How many WRs and championship medals were illegally aided? How many other athletes were wrongfully denied WRs and medals?
    The IAAF has a duty to investigate these charges fully, and to seek similar information about athletic programs in the former Soviet Union. When it comes to telling the truth about the use of drugs in sport, better late than never. The question is whether track & field, already a sport in trouble, can withstand such a blow."

This was posted earlier today and then yanked off the board by whoever makes that decision. It was posted because I was accused of "whining" by Gary Hill, and accused by others of making unsubstantiated allegations regarding Marita Koch and Ruth Fuchs specifically, and the world record holding 4x100 team. If this letter could appear on the editorial pages of T&FN, and then incense Mr. Hill or whoever made the decision, to the point of yanking a thread in order to silence my argument, what does that say about those responsible? This is hardly the only interesting stuff one can cull from a review of old issues on this matter.

Re: Wrong For the Sport?

The thread was yanked (as was the first response to your intial post here) because it went too far over the line in unsubstantiated drug charges, which is one of the huge no-nos of this board.

And for the record, it was someone else (Legal Beagle?) who called you whiny. I susbsequently asked you to tone it down before I was forced to do likewise.

The ancient material you quote from the magazine never came to anything. End of story. At the time it was a legitimate coverage of what was in the news.

Comment

Anyone who believes Marita Koch was clean would probably be willing to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.

Comment

Sorry Garry,

I didn't realize it was a "no-no" on this board to state the obvious.

Comment

Michael, just what is it you are hoping to accomplish here with this repetitive harping? I'm sure there is plenty of agreement with you that many, maybe most or even all, of the former GDR or Soviet bloc performances were illegally aided. I too agree that it is hypocritical for the IAAF to allow many of these marks to stand, especially given some of the revelations that appear to be easily investigatable.

However, as has been pointed out several times previously, the IAAF does have a statu(t)e of limitations on past offences. You or I may not agree with it, but repeatedly complaining about it on the TnFNews board is going to get you nothing.

Raise it once to let people know the issue, but those who have the power (if lacking the will) to make the changes you want, are not those visiting here. Better to direct your efforts where they will have more chance of success.

You may start out preaching to the choir here, but your continued combative attitude is likely to chase many of them out of the church.

Comment

Marita Koch was my childhood idol. She is still one of my favorite track & field persons. There is no way to know if the current athletes are clean or not.

She had an amazing range and won major championships in 100-400 mts, in the early 80s when I must suspect every one was on the same playing field.

Comment

"The ancient material you quote from the magazine never came to anything. End of story. At the time it was a legitimate coverage of what was in the news."

That ancient material was from 1992. Fast forward to March 1998 T&FN p.74, "More East German Doping Revelations" :

"....Most damningly, a cache of Stasi documents indicates that the former communist athletic power systematically doped hundreds of athletes, including preteens, with steroids during the '70's and '80's. The names of some famous DDR Olympic champions have appeared in the reports. Sources familiar with the documents say they show high government officials approved the program, which isn't surprising, given how the East German government equated athletic success with political ends......It would be naive, of course, to think that the East Germans were/are the only country to have a national doping program. But they were probably the best at it, and failed to dispose of their meticulous records, with the result that calls are being made for the stripping of their Olympic medals>"

As for why I am "harping" on this matter, my dander got up when I was told that I was engaging in "wild speculation" (Legal Beagle), that I was "not very bright" to believe JJK and Flojo were innocent (when I never mentioned them), and challenged to produce something to show that I wasn't two shades short of nuts. I'm not completely without memory, I have kept my back issues of T&FN, which is where I read most of this stuff in the first place. It's particularly galling to have the editor tell me nothing more came of what was quoted from 1992, when anyone can verify for themselves what I have quoted above from 1998.

Comment

>And for the record, it was someone else
                >(Legal Beagle?) who called you whiny.

Actually, the anonymous yahoo was "Something There Is About A Wall...". That's the nice thing about caching.
                I note that the most recent thread was number 1874 at a time when there appears to be 1725. That means that 149 threads have been deleted-880 messages.

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/di ... hread=1849

Comment

Working...
                X