Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IAAF Muzak

Does anybody else have all those annoying tunes running around in his/her head? I LOOOOOOOOOOVED the track meet - to me there's nothing like a full schedule of qualifying and finals with the world's best athletes - but I am almost undecided about Helsinki because of the "US-television-like" presentation of the whole think. We had a "theme" for just about everything

event intro
    start of victory ceremony
    end of victory ceremony
    post-event ("Star Wars" or "Indiana Jones"

in addition to a brass band in either end of the stadium, which sometimes drowned out what the (excellent) announcers were saying.

Not only that, but during both marathons we had to listen to piped-in music.

I find this so extemely annoying that I almost, but not quite, would pass up the next one of these.

Cheers,
    Alan Shank

Re: IAAF Muzak

It's only annoying if they play the same damned stuff over and over like they do at NFL games. Music is a great idea, but let's use some imagination gang.

Comment

As one of those, as stadium announcer, who was tortured most by the VC music (imagine having to wear a headset through which nothing came but that music, at high volume, and the director's voice), you can't imagine how grim it can get. A week after returning home I was waking up in the middle of the night with the damn piece--which I characterize as the 3rd Panzer Division's Regimental March as performed by Herb Alpert and Tijuana Brass--roaring through my head. Not a word of a lie: couple of times I got up at 2 or 3 o'clock and turned on the stereo, loud, to drive it out. But enough about me.

Sadly, you can expect more and more of this as track moves into "high production values" settings. All of Paris was scripted by French TV, and they had virtually no interest in information dissemination, as you probably noticed by how quickly things came and went on the scoreboard, or how little time was available for the PA becuase of the music. (for a whole 400?!!)

What's really said is, I'm not sure it's not the right way to go, in terms of creating future fans. There were thousand and thousands of junior-high types papering the stands every night, and not one of them would have listened to an announcer anyway. After the non-stop assault on their senses by the big screen TVs and loud music, I bet they all went home happy as pigs in the mud.

As for the "repetitive" nature, you've got to remember that very few people go to all 9 days of a worlds, so it's not worth their time to program a different script for every day. So a few hundred American and British tourists get pissed off--why should they care?

Fortunately, we were able to get the ear of the Helsinki '05 production team a little bit and they seemed to agree that the music was a bit over the top.

But gone--long gone--are the days when the announcer was given free run of the place.

Comment

>It's only annoying if they play the same damned
        >stuff over and over like they do at NFL games.
        >Music is a great idea, but let's use some
        >imagination gang.

Personally, I disagree - music is totally out of place as far as I am concerned. It never ceases to amaze me how people seem to require some background sensory input all the time.

Cheers,
        Alan Shank

Comment

Working...
        X