Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaulter Gets Even

A spy in Monaco tells me that Tim Lobinger--one of the prime movers in the petition to repeal the short-peg rule--got a bit of payback today.

Miss at 5.86, then a "make" at 5.86 that was negated by a Volzing call, which didn't make him much happy. So, passes his third, then clears a seasonal best 5.91 on his only available try. What does he do then? Runs out onto the track, drops trou and moons the officials for 20 seconds or so. And it gets replayed on the Jumbotron. Take that!

The message: Jon, next time you lie down on the track, drop your shorts first; that obviously doesn't "bring the sport into disrepute"

Re: Vaulter Gets Even

way to go Timmy!!!

Comment

>Miss at 5.86, then a "make" at 5.86
      >that was negated by a Volzing call, which didn't
      >make him much happy. So, passes his third, then
      >clears a seasonal best 5.91 on his only available
      >try. What does he do then? Runs out onto the
      >track, drops trou and moons the officials for 20
      >seconds or so. And it gets replayed on the
      >Jumbotron. Take that!

I am assuming that there will be repercussions? I thought it was an overreaction but at the Canada Student Games in 2001?, the third place finisher in the steeple did the same thing to fulfill a bet he made that he would moon the crowd if he got a medal. He did and they took the medal away.
      Coolsaet, who got the medal instead, returned it to him later.

Comment

>I am
        >assuming that there will be repercussions?

I'd say he is toast if true:

"Blouin later apologized for the gesture but organizers promptly disqualified him, citing Rule 145 of the International Amateur Athletic Federation, the world track and field governing body."

http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWSWeirdNews0108/23_moon-cp.html

Comment

Actually, I was on my cell phone, we didn't have the best connection in the world, and gh must have misheard what I said. I said 20 steps, not 20 seconds. And it might not have even been quite that many. The moon itself was less than five seconds. But it was quite something, and they showed in the video screen more than once. The crowd loved it. I suspect the IAAF was not amused.

What will be done about it? Who knows?

Comment

You've got to love vaulters. Moxie!

Comment

>You've got to love vaulters. Moxie!

How much does he stand to lose?

Comment

It's not what he's got to lose but how he dealt with the situation

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=moxie

1. The ability to face difficulty with spirit and courage.

--
                What he's got to lose could be significant depending on how the IAAF reacts.

Comment

I don't really know about the situation but I don't like it when people do things like that.

Comment

Early favorite for performance of the year? :-)

Comment

Gut gemacht! Sehr ausgezeichnet Tim!

Comment

Very interesting that it was indeed Tim Lobinger who performed this stunt. I believe he was/is one of the leaders of both the protest against the volzing rules (a few years ago) and the protest against the smaller pegs (that are used since this year).

Nevertheless, a question to GH's spy who is in Paris (in the press stands?): do we have confirmation Tim Lobinger meant this mooning as a protest after the volzing call? It sounds likely, but the german website leichtathletik.de (usually very close to the German news) suggests only a seasons best and the healthy $30.000 premium as reasons for the mooning. They do, however, mention the volzing foul ('the official >had< to foul the attempt').

Regards, WK

For those who read German:
                        "
                        Beide meisterten zunächst 5,81 Meter. Dann war es Okkert Brits, der 5,86 Meter vorlegte. Für den Kölner blieb im zweiten Versuch die Latte ebenfalls liegen, er hatte allerdings mit der Hand nachgeholfen, wonach die Kampfrichter den Versuch ungültig geben mussten. So ließ Tim Lobinger für seinen letzten, verbliebenen Sprung 5,91 Meter auflegen und er flog drüber.

In seinem jubelnden Übermut flitzte er anschließend in der Stabhochsprungkurve mit spontan blank gelegtem Hinterteil über die Bahn. Die Emotionen hatten ihren Grund, die Höhe bedeutete deutsche Saisonbestleistung und einen Siegerscheck im Wert von 30.000 US-Dollar
                        "
                        (http://www.leichtathletik.de/Dokumente/ ... sp?ID=4019)

Comment

The German says the mooning was done in exuberant celebration of the win and prize.

Comment

Both mastered first 5.81 meters. Then it was Okkert Brits, which submitted 5.86 meters. For the Cologner the slat remained likewise lying, it however with the hand had helped in the second attempt, according to which the combat judges had to give the attempt invalidly. Thus Tim Lobinger for its last, remaining jump let 5.91 meters present and it flew more drueber. In its jubilant over courage he tore afterwards in the staff high jump curve with spontaneously brightly put back part over the course. The emotions had its reason, the height meant German season best performance and a winner check in the value of 30.000 US dollar

Comment

OK, time to criticize the IAAF on whatever penalty it assesses:
                              1. nothing - that's condones immature and inappropriate behavior.
                              2. slap on the wrist - see #1
                              3. monetary fine - punishment doesn't fit crime
                              4. suspension - see # 3
                              5. throw the book - totally uncalled for

so, what to do? What was the crowd's reaction? They loved it. Would YOU have laughed if you were there, or would you have turned to your buddy and said, 'tsk, tsk, what a naughty boy. My heavens, I so scandalized by his behavior.' No.
                              Can we condone it? No. Here's the obvious answer: give him the 'opportunity' to travel to youth centers and do some community service. He can explain why his behavior, albeit celebratory, was inappropriate and that he apologizes to his family and friends for not finding a 'better' way to express his joy.

Comment

Working...
                              X