Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Vaulter Gets Even

According to the UK news, Tim has been charge a $5000 fine for his antics. Bummer...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

You may get to see Lobinger in all his glory (well, partially) in ESPN2's coverage tomorrow night--I'll keep y'all posted.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>> a question to GH's spy who is in Paris (in the press stands?): do we have confirmation Tim Lobinger meant this mooning as a protest after the volzing call? It sounds likely, but the german website leichtathletik.de (usually very close to the German news) suggests only a seasons best and the healthy $30.000 premium as reasons for the mooning. They do, however, mention the volzing foul ('the official had to foul the attempt').

Regards,
    WK<<

Truthfully, I don't know his motive for sure. It's what someone told me, and although I regard the person as a normally reliable source, he may not have actually spoken to Lobinger, which means that this may have just been third hand rumor or speculation.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

From what I understand this is mild behavior for Lobinger.

Heard that after the 96 Olympics, Lobinger publicly said that if the German Federation ever put a non-native German vaulter (i.e. Tiwontschwik) on the Olympic team again, he was moving to Leichtenstein.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

OK, time to criticize the IAAF on whatever penalty it assesses:
    1. nothing - that's condones immature and inappropriate behavior.
    2. slap on the wrist - see #1
    3. monetary fine - punishment doesn't fit crime
    4. suspension - see # 3
    5. throw the book - totally uncalled for

so, what to do? What was the crowd's reaction? They loved it. Would YOU have laughed if you were there, or would you have turned to your buddy and said, 'tsk, tsk, what a naughty boy. My heavens, I so scandalized by his behavior.' No.
    Can we condone it? No. Here's the obvious answer: give him the 'opportunity' to travel to youth centers and do some community service. He can explain why his behavior, albeit celebratory, was inappropriate and that he apologizes to his family and friends for not finding a 'better' way to express his joy.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Both mastered first 5.81 meters. Then it was Okkert Brits, which submitted 5.86 meters. For the Cologner the slat remained likewise lying, it however with the hand had helped in the second attempt, according to which the combat judges had to give the attempt invalidly. Thus Tim Lobinger for its last, remaining jump let 5.91 meters present and it flew more drueber. In its jubilant over courage he tore afterwards in the staff high jump curve with spontaneously brightly put back part over the course. The emotions had its reason, the height meant German season best performance and a winner check in the value of 30.000 US dollar

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

The German says the mooning was done in exuberant celebration of the win and prize.

Leave a comment:

• Wilmar
    replied

Very interesting that it was indeed Tim Lobinger who performed this stunt. I believe he was/is one of the leaders of both the protest against the volzing rules (a few years ago) and the protest against the smaller pegs (that are used since this year).

Nevertheless, a question to GH's spy who is in Paris (in the press stands?): do we have confirmation Tim Lobinger meant this mooning as a protest after the volzing call? It sounds likely, but the german website leichtathletik.de (usually very close to the German news) suggests only a seasons best and the healthy $30.000 premium as reasons for the mooning. They do, however, mention the volzing foul ('the official >had< to foul the attempt').

Regards, WK

For those who read German:
    "
    Beide meisterten zunächst 5,81 Meter. Dann war es Okkert Brits, der 5,86 Meter vorlegte. Für den Kölner blieb im zweiten Versuch die Latte ebenfalls liegen, er hatte allerdings mit der Hand nachgeholfen, wonach die Kampfrichter den Versuch ungültig geben mussten. So ließ Tim Lobinger für seinen letzten, verbliebenen Sprung 5,91 Meter auflegen und er flog drüber.

In seinem jubelnden Übermut flitzte er anschließend in der Stabhochsprungkurve mit spontan blank gelegtem Hinterteil über die Bahn. Die Emotionen hatten ihren Grund, die Höhe bedeutete deutsche Saisonbestleistung und einen Siegerscheck im Wert von 30.000 US-Dollar
    "
    (http://www.leichtathletik.de/Dokumente/ ... sp?ID=4019)

Leave a comment:

• vaulter83
    replied

Gut gemacht! Sehr ausgezeichnet Tim!

Leave a comment:

• dl
    replied

Early favorite for performance of the year? :-)

Leave a comment:

• Natasha
    replied

I don't really know about the situation but I don't like it when people do things like that.

Leave a comment:

• bubba
    replied

It's not what he's got to lose but how he dealt with the situation

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=moxie

1. The ability to face difficulty with spirit and courage.

--
    What he's got to lose could be significant depending on how the IAAF reacts.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

>You've got to love vaulters. Moxie!

How much does he stand to lose?

Leave a comment:

• bubba
    replied

You've got to love vaulters. Moxie!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Actually, I was on my cell phone, we didn't have the best connection in the world, and gh must have misheard what I said. I said 20 steps, not 20 seconds. And it might not have even been quite that many. The moon itself was less than five seconds. But it was quite something, and they showed in the video screen more than once. The crowd loved it. I suspect the IAAF was not amused.

What will be done about it? Who knows?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X