Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WUSA FOLDS!

The WUSA folded today. Maybe we can get some of their TV time. We certainly outdraw them in viewership! Story here: http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

Re: WUSA FOLDS!

Now let's hear again about the incredible youth program AYSO has and how it is turning out generations of soccer fans, and how this is all Masback need do to USATF to return track to its position of glory in the track firmament.

Sorry, fans, doesn't work that way. Youth participation does not equal either butts in the stands or eyes glued to TV sets. WUSA--even in the nation that cranks out the majority of the world's best players--couldn't draw fans either way, and that's the bottom line when it comes to being successful.

Comment

I think it's not so much a lesson about how youth participation doesn't equal fandom, I think it's more a lesson about how girls don't follow professional sports, even the sport they participate in.

I don't wanna sound sexist, but I only knew one female track athlete from high school/college/grad school that ever had any interest in the U.S./world class level.

Okay, not all the guys were hard core track fans either, but even if they weren't, they at least knew what was going on, on a basic level.

Comment

A few years ago I was chatting with a couple of NCAA qualifying ladies and neither of them even knew there was a professional circuit after college.

Comment

I'll have to jump on the sexist bandwagon. Look how few female track fans are even on this message board or the others. Same in soccer, which I also follow closely. How much NBA money is floating the WNBA?

Comment

Even though I'm a girl I notice the same things as you guys. In my sport it always surprises me how many girls only follow the National circuit here in Canada. Most of them have no clue who's doing what internationally. They say their goal is to race on the World Cup but really they only care about what the people around them are doing. I don't know what the answer is but girls everywhere need to step it up. you can be pretty and have clue even if it's just a small one.

Comment

It is funny.
              We talk about male milers like Lunn, Berryhill, and Krummenacker. We hardy mention the top female mile runners which have done better over the last few years.

Comment

Two quotes in this thread

<<I'll have to jump on the sexist bandwagon. Look how few female track fans are even on this message board or the others. Same in soccer, which I also follow closely.>>

>It is funny.
                We talk about male milers like
                >Lunn, Berryhill, and Krummenacker. We hardy
                >mention the top female mile runners which have
                >done better over the last few years.>>

When "we" do mention top female milers (moreso on other boards than here, but the same nasty undercurrent runs here also) it's only to trash Jacobs or Favor, to say they're over the hill and should get out of the way, or their fakes, or they're wimps, or whatever. May be another reason why women stay away from these conversations in droves. Far more, %-wise female lurkers than male?

Comment

It seems women US 1500 meter runners are not going through the same crisis as their male counterparts. Jaspm Lunn really isn't any faster than mid seventies milers like Leonard Hilton. It is kind of sad that America's top male miler can't break 3:55. Every year US milers get a little slower.

What is next a 3:50 winning time at next years 1500 meter Olympic trails.

Comment

"When "we" do mention top female milers (moreso on other boards than here, but the same nasty undercurrent runs here also) it's only to trash Jacobs or Favor, to say they're over the hill and should get out of the way, or their fakes, or they're wimps, or whatever. May be another reason why women stay away from these conversations in droves. Far more, %-wise female lurkers than male?"

Like we didn't trash Webb and EVERY other male miler in America!! Most women stay away because they have other interests; it's just that simple. Right now it's more nurture than nature, but I believe it's clearly nature also.

Comment

It's interesting that everyone assumes that it's males on these boards, when there's no way to know who's who on the Interne -- it's just an assumption from the typically male aggressive arguing that we usually see!

Comment

Guarantee that it's well over 80% male. Same for IAAF's board, letsrun, dyestat, etc. There a Florida HS soccer board (for male and female) - well over 95% is about boys' teams.

Comment

This is somewhat on topic, but I received several emails last week on why we (Trackshark.com) don't feature more journals on our site featuring female student-athletes.

It's not that we did not ask any -- in fact -- we wanted more female participation this year. However, out of the 15 females we asked, only one chose to participate.

Out of the 10 males we asked, 8 decided to participate. Several more males even requested that they wanted to join.

A professor from a major university was one of those emails and after my reply to her that we asked more females to join but only one chose to accept, she stated, "I never thought of women being adverse to the spotlight, but maybe in the context of sports, they still are."

Perhaps it was bad luck on our part of simply asking the wrong people. However, I don't understand why so many chose to decline participation but so many males accepted the invite.

Yes, maybe we are looking too much into this example, but we're doing all we can to get more female participation and it's been quite difficult.

Sorry if this was off-topic in any way, but I thought I would share this recent trend.

Comment

Gentlemen,
                            I read this board all of the time and find some of it just plain boorish! Lots of testerone in many of the comments. As a mother of four sons and one daughter, I can tell you why more male athletes respond over females. I call it the "peacock syndrome". Guys love the recognition while girls, who are equal stars in their respective disciplines, don't really need the extra adoration. They know what they've done and that's enough for them. The extra adulation is a requirement for many of the male athletes. I know, because I'm the mother of one.

Comment

What's the WUSA?

Comment

Working...
                              X