Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WUSA FOLDS!

WUSA is (or was) a women's professional soccer league. Shame for it to go under just on the eve of the women's World Cup (which is beginning on Saturday).

Comment

"Guys love the recognition while girls, who are equal stars in their respective disciplines, don't really need the extra adoration. They know what they've done and that's enough for them."

Well THAT has to be one of the MOST sexist remarks ever made here. Shame on you.

Comment

I'm not sure that anyone on this board is here for the recognition.

Comment

It's all about this little thing that men have sticking out the front and their eternal need to prove theirs is largest.

ps--mine's bigger than yours.

Comment

Hit the nail on the head with this comment!

Comment

Well, the "size" supposition is a nice neat pseudo-Freudian explanation, and one with some merit, at least from my admittedly male perspective. But it does little to answer the key economic questions of the failure of the WUSA and the struggles of the WNBA: why won't women, even women who've participated in these sports, consistently show up and pay money to see other women play? And why won't they even watch on TV?

This is a question that goes to the heart of the failure of the sponsors' projections for these leagues. The sponsors simply looked at the number of girls participating or who had participated in these sports, and the ratings for female viewers from events like the women's World Cup and the Olympics, and, apparently falsely, expected those to turn into numbers that would support regular professional leagues. But even for sports that have gained relatively consistent and sizable female television audiences, like figure skating, it hasn't translated into actual butts in seats. It seems that women just will not go out in large numbers to watch women's sports, and tend to lose interest in them even as TV attractions.

We see this pretty strongly in T&F in the lack of female fans attending or viewing track meets -- where, after all, just about half of the events feature women.

So, is it that women are just lacking some "fan" or "spectator" gene that men have, or are there perhaps some other reasons involved in the failure of female sports to attract enough female audience to be successful?

Comment

Which is why Title IX is bull crap. Thousands of legitimate, skilled, highly trained athletes who have a passion for their sport are being denied schollys in favor of token female athletes who are there mainly for the free schooling. Case in point is at Tennessee, where we have a joke of a crew team that is there only to balance out the gender equation.

Comment

"So, is it that women are just lacking some "fan" or "spectator" gene that men have"

No, they lack the macho aspects of competitiveness. Sexist that I am, I believe that women are more into cooperation and nurturing. In high school, girls are more into sports for social reasons, while boys are there to 'beat' someone and aggrandize themselves. Once a female is out of their own sport (social) circle, the desire to watch others diminishes. This may (does) sound like gross generalizations, but I see it day in and day out, year in and year out, all around me.

Comment

I know that the WUSA has folded and was the women's professional soccer league, but the question is what did WUSA stand for?

Comment

I know that the WUSA has folded and was the women's professional soccer league, but the question is what did WUSA stand for?

Comment

>The WUSA folded today. Maybe we can get some of
                        >their TV time. We certainly outdraw them in
                        >viewership! Story here:
                        >http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=ap-wusafolds
                        >prov=ap&type=lgns

True, but WUSA games were on the PAX network. Do we really want track & field to move from ESPN / ESPN2 to Pax?

Comment

WUSA - Women's United Soccer Assn

and yes, I'll take T&F on Pax or WE or Nick at Nite, if it brings us the action live.

Comment

The WNBA championship final is on tonight. On ESPN2. Relegated to ABC's second cousin, once removed. That league would fold, too, if not for the NBA's refusal to admit failure in the venture. One reason I've heard mentioned for the WUSA's lack of success is overkill: kids and their parents are steeped in youth soccer YEAR-ROUND. The vast majority would probably just as soon get away from the game as much as they possibly can, save their own involvement, which would include plunking down more money to sit and watch a game that's played more athletically by men, both domestically and abroad. That and the fact that it's just not exciting to watch. Plus all the stars from the U.S.A. women's world cup team in '99 were spread out among all the teams. On top of the fact that there is no real history of a professional soccer fan base here in the U.S. coupled with the existence of 3 major pro sports that already cover the 12-month calendar. Even the MLS is in trouble.

Comment

>True, but WUSA games were on the PAX network. Do we really want track & field to move from ESPN / ESPN2 to
                              >Pax?>>

Oh ye of short memories! Dost thou not remember the Olympic Trials from Sacramento last time? Weekend coverage was on network TV, but on a daily basis it was on.... PAX!

Comment

For America to be considerd a true athletic power it must do well at soccer. It is the world's game afterall.

American football is a false game since it is played by only two countries.

The MLS is expanding and the is talk of having a Mexican team added to the league.

The WUSA was poorly managed. Still it has not stopped the US Women's National team from being the best in the world.

Long live soccer!

Comment

Working...
                                X