Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WUSA FOLDS!

"For America to be considerd a true athletic power it must do well at soccer."

What planet are you from? I'm afraid the USA is already THE world athletic superpower. No brag, just fact.

Comment

>For America to be considerd a true athletic power
      >it must do well at soccer. It is the world's game
      >afterall.

American football is a false game
      >since it is played by only two countries.

Do you actually follow American football? It's played in more than two countries. Try Japan, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, & Mexico for starters. No one is saying that it's as global as soccer, but don't be a dumb ass.

Considering the United States is a power across quite a few sports, uh we're ALREADY a true athletic power.

Comment

Oh ye of short memories!
        >Dost thou not remember the Olympic Trials from
        >Sacramento last time? Weekend coverage was on
        >network TV, but on a daily basis it was on....
        >PAX!

PAX is not a well-watched network though, which is part of the reason why WUSA's television viewership wasn't as high as it would've otherwise been (e.g., if their games had been on ESPN2). Its distribution system just isn't up there with some of the other networks, it's not a traditional sports channel either, & it is in shambles. You really want to hurt track & field, put it solely on PAX where VIRTUALLY NO ONE will watch it or have exposure to it.

Comment

>Do you actually follow American
          >football? It's played in more than two countries.
          >Try Japan, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, & Mexico
          >for starters. No one is saying that it's as
          >global as soccer, but don't be a dumb
          >ass.

I don't know who's being a dumbass here... I suppose there are some American football teams in Germany, Spain etc., but in terms of following, money involved etc. they rate about the same level as handball does in the US.
          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

A bit off the soccer topic but it's interesting that womens tennis has actually moved ahead of men's tennis in terms of number of fans, endorsements for athletes. The finals for the womens at most tournaments is the match everyone wants to see. Things are balancing back again with the new crop of men but for awhile it was pretty uninteresting. Obviously the girls are good looking and that has plenty to do with it but it's still an interesting trend.

Comment

"Well THAT has to be one of the MOST sexist remarks ever made here. Shame on you."

Who are you kidding? This board is riddled with remarks about how ugly Mutola is, about what a babe Hamilton is, and on and on and on. And frankly I agree with the poster, man men DO have something to prove. Hence the well-known term, "pissing contest".

Comment

"Do you actually follow American football? It's played in more than two countries. Try Japan, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, & Mexico for starters. No one is saying that it's as global as soccer, but don't be a dumb ass."

You could also add Canada. Nonetheless one could list the countries that enjoy cricket, and based on population, conclude that it's more global than US football (India and Pakistan together have 4 times the population of the US, not to mention Indonesia and Australia) The number of worldwide fans of US style football and baseball together is a tiny fraction of the number of fans of soccer. That is stating the very obvious.

Comment

Before I get pounced on for not noting the distinctions between US and Canadian football, I am aware of them, but suffice to say that Canadian football is close enough to US football to be called football here in Canada, while like yourselves we call "World Football" soccer. Fans of the CFL are most often big NFL fans too.

Comment

"For America to be considerd a true athletic power it must do well at soccer. It is the world's game afterall.

American football is a false game since it is played by only two countries.

The MLS is expanding and the is talk of having a Mexican team added to the league.

The WUSA was poorly managed. Still it has not stopped the US Women's National team from being the best in the world.

Long live soccer!"

Couple points:

First, if the good athletes in the U.S. played soccer rather than other sports (like basketball, football, etc.), the U.S. would have BY FAR the best national soccer team.

Other countries don't want Allen Iverson and Marshall Faulk out there dribbling the ball around for the U.S. They don't want Shaquille O'Neal playing goalie for the U.S.

Why don't they want this?

Because if these and other athletes did play soccer for the U.S., the U.S. would win every game 5-0. This country has the best athletes in the world; they simply choose to play other sports.

Regarding the WUSA: there was no demand for that league. It made no money (in fact it lost tons of money). That's why it folded. The WNBA would fold too, if it weren't for the charity of David Stern. There is no demand for the WNBA either.

Why is there no demand for women's soccer and basketball?

In the case of soccer, this country just doesn't like the sport (regardless of which sex plays it). In the case of basketball, the quality of the play is terrible because women are not good basketball players. I'm sure I will be pilloried for this, but it's true; women can't play basketball.

Some of the social-progress types are crying their eyes out right now because of the demise of the WUSA. Frankly, I don't see how maintaining a women's soccer league makes us a better society. It is just a game, and irrelevant to the larger problems we face.

There are some real problems with the position of women in this society, and although we have come a long way there is still a long way to go.

However, if a woman like Carly Fiorina can become the CEO of Hewlett-Packard and a woman like Condi Rice can become National Security Advisor, I think that speaks volumes about our progress. Things like this are much more relevant than a women's soccer league.

Comment

America is successful at many sports, and you can now include soccer on that list.

Since the US women's national team is the world's best they probably don't really need a domestic soccer league. The Women's NCAA teams are good enough to supply the national team with talent.

I have a feeling the MLS will be here for another century. Professional US men's soccer is now here to stay. Many believe that the US men national team's semi-final showing in last year's world cup proved that the MLS is indeed capable of producing world-class talent.

With this nations resource we are capable of producing at least 15 Claudia Reynas.

Comment

>In the case of soccer, this
                        >country just doesn't like the sport (regardless
                        >of which sex plays it). In the case of
                        >basketball, the quality of the play is terrible
                        >because women are not good basketball players.
                        >I'm sure I will be pilloried for this, but it's
                        >true; women can't play basketball. >>

That's not exactly true; women can play very exciting basketball. What they can't do is play like men, who have taken the game to a whole new level, where athleticism is paramount. If you applied more of the sex-leveling techniques track has (lighter implements, shorter hurdles) you could get a game that would be very much like the men's.

Make the ball smaller yet (still too big to allow the kind of handiwork men produce), lower the basket to 9 feet (or maybe even 8-foot-6), make the court a bit shorter and narrower. It'd become the same kind of thrilling high-wire act.

Of course, it might also become a league of people who can't/won't pass or shoot from the outside, but that's another matter.

Comment

http://www.fifa.com/en/rank/index.html?ttl=480

The US is ranked in the top ten in the FIFA rankings (link above). We also made it to the semi-finals of the last World Cup. I would say we are a world power in soccer, too. Unless only the top three or four are considered powers.

This despite not getting the best athletes for soccer. Not bad.

Comment

We are a country of 280 million people. There are bound to be plenty of left over athletes from other sports to play soccer.

This is why I am surprised that the US is not better at running the mile. Among the 280 million people in this country there must be at least 20 Krummenackers lurking about somewhere. Even with a poor development system the talent pool is still there.

Fast Fact:
                            Despite not producing any true elite milers, the US still produces the most 4-minute milers in the world.

Comment

>Fast Fact: Despite not producing any
                              true elite milers, the US still produces the most
                              4-minute milers in the world.<<

That's the dumbest! Of course we do--we're the only large country in the world where miles are frequently contested. If you looked at 1500m equivalents, we'd be nowhere near several other countries, led by Kenya.

Comment

If USA got any of its best athletes (NFL, NBA, MLB) to play as few sports as the other countries do, we would, of course, dominate them all, but isn't that what we like about the US sports scene: its diversity? I like to watch most of the 'major' sports, but I want other stuff as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X