Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WUSA FOLDS!

You could have every single American out there running distance and we'd still be no match for the Kenyans and Ethiopans.

Comment

Since less than 1% of Americans have ever even tried distance, I bet you are wrong. 50 million people (core age sample) training at 100 miles per week would produce some ungodly results. I actually do believe that Kenyans and Ethiopians are somehow more genetically engineered for distance, but 50 million devotees would far unbalance the scales. Silly argument, but I say I'm right.

Comment

If 50 million Americans started running 100 miles a week, sign me up to become either an orthopedic surgeon or podiatrist!

Comment

>If 50 million Americans started running 100 miles
          a week, sign me up to become either an orthopedic
          surgeon or podiatrist!<

I'll make more out of this than you will!

Comment

ROFL
            why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

I've always had a problem with basically US-only sports (American football-Super Bowl, Baseball - World[?]Series, NBA) annointing themselves World Champions. In some cases (football) the US is the only country the sport is played in, baseball is actually dominated by Caribean, and the rest of the world has caught up with the US in basketball. Hockey?, that's a sport played by about 1% of the worlds population. These are the sports the US media focuses on.

Comment

>You could have every single American out there
                >running distance and we'd still be no match for
                >the Kenyans and Ethiopans.

Why do you say that? What makes them better than us?

Anyhow, we might never equal those two nations, but maybe we could move ourselves up to the level of Spain, Holland, Italy, Portugal...

Comment

"I've always had a problem with basically US-only sports (American football-Super Bowl, Baseball - World[?]Series, NBA) annointing themselves World Champions. In some cases (football) the US is the only country the sport is played in, baseball is actually dominated by Caribean, and the rest of the world has caught up with the US in basketball. Hockey?, that's a sport played by about 1% of the worlds population. These are the sports the US media focuses on."

I disagree with most of your statement, Mr. Kritter.

First of all, if individuals from some other country want to challenge our NFL, NBA and MLB teams, let them put a team out there and see what happens. As things currently stand, they aren't even trying. Even if France did put together an American football team, they would be destroyed by any NFL team, even the Bengals. In any case, most of the rest of the world turns its nose up at American football; why should we consider them when deciding who the world champion is?

Second, baseball is not "dominated" by the Carribean. If you look at the demographics of the major leagues, you will surely find that the U.S. is well-represented. I'm not quite sure what your definition of "dominated" is.

Third, the rest of the world has NOT caught up to the U.S. in basketball. The U.S. team loss at the World Championships last year was an abberation, the product of a team that took the tournament too lightly and didn't practice together enough in preparation. The U.S. recently began to make amends by destroying its foes at the Tournament of the Americas. In Athens, I am confident that you will see a fully motivated U.S. team win the gold medal with ease. The 2002 World Champs was a wakeup call, but one tournament doesn't mean the rest of the world has caught up.

Finally, I'd say hockey is played by more than 1 percent of the world's population. Besides the U.S., it is extremely popular in Canada (of course), Scandinavia, the countries that were formerly the Soviet Union and much of Western and Central Europe.

Comment

>You could have every single American out there running distance and we'd still be no match for the Kenyans and Ethiopans<
                    I totally disagree.
                    These are good times for women in sports. Fewer of them have been at it, for less time, on any national-type level, which means their "improvement curve" is steeper than the men's right now. We're seeing it not only in track, where feature stories are being generated by the likes of Guevara, Mutola and Radcliffe, but also in tennis (the Williams sisters) and golf. When Annika Sorenstam played in that men's tournament earlier this summer, it was fun to see how many women turned out, and how enthusiastic they were. But will it translate into more women on the courses, or spectating, or posting on message boards? Nah. It's just like that soccer game in the Rose Bowl, in 1999, that basically gave birth to WUSA. The collapse of WUSA may be followed by one step backward, but the league itself was at least one small step forward. Whether there will be more forward steps can't be determined by TV networks or corporate sponsors, rather only if the women themselves genuinely want it.

Comment

There is already talk of bringing back the WUSA. They are already looking for corporate sponsors. I say there is a 75% chance the league will be back within the year. In this day and age 20 million dollars really isn't that much money. Some of today's baseball players have a higher net value than the entire WUSA.

Comment

Bud Geracie of the San Jose Mercury-News:

<<Sports Illustrated jinx sets new record: WUSA folds two days before Mia Hamm is on cover>>

Comment

Actually the WUSA suspended operations. They didn't fold completely yet.

Comment

Yeah, but they won't be around for the next World Cup.

Comment

Regarding
                              >the WUSA: there was no demand for that league.
                              >It made no money (in fact it lost tons of
                              >money). That's why it folded. The WNBA would
                              >fold too, if it weren't for the charity of David
                              >Stern. There is no demand for the WNBA either.

Why is there no demand for women's soccer
                              >r and basketball?

In the case of soccer, this
                              >country just doesn't like the sport (regardless
                              >of which sex plays it). In the case of
                              >basketball, the quality of the play is terrible
                              >because women are not good basketball players.
                              >I'm sure I will be pilloried for this, but it's
                              >true; women can't play basketball.

Some of
                              >the social-progress types are crying their eyes
                              >out right now because of the demise of the WUSA.
                              >Frankly, I don't see how maintaining a women's
                              >s soccer league makes us a better society. It is
                              >just a game, and irrelevant to the larger
                              >problems we face.

Having watched the Women's World Cup match between USA & Sweden on TV last weekend, I see why WUSA folded. Snooze city!!!

However, there's a double standard here. It took the top professional men's sports DECADES before they reached their current level. The bell curve for women's sports has really only been two decades -- same goes for women as sports consumers -- yet people expect it to happen overnight. WUSA was mismanaged, but even many of the most popular sports have lower tv viewership & revenues.

And women CAN play basketball. At least they're more entertaining than our distance runners, & actually bring home some medals.

Comment

>I've always had a problem with basically US-only
                                >sports (American football-Super Bowl, Baseball -
                                >World[?]Series, NBA) annointing themselves World
                                >Champions. In some cases (football) the US is the
                                >only country the sport is played in, baseball is
                                >actually dominated by Caribean, and the rest of
                                >the world has caught up with the US in
                                >basketball. Hockey?, that's a sport played by
                                >about 1% of the worlds population. These are the
                                >sports the US media focuses on.

I agree that these championships shouldn't refer to themselves as "world championships." However, some facts: American football is NOT only played in the U.S. Canada's roots in the sport go far as far as ours, the sport is also played in Mexico, Japan, & several European countries. E.g., Germany's games regularly attract over 30,000 people. Even Spain gets 11,000+ on average for its U.S. football games, not too paltry for a new sport in a soccer-mad nation. And the quality of American football elsewhere is about 1/3 of the level in the U.S. Does U.S. football touch soccer in world popularity? Not even close! But get the facts right.

Hockey is a CANADIAN sport (the NHL began there) that crossed over into the U.S., Scandinavia, & Eastern Europe. Not many more countries are skiing proficient, but I'm not harping about that sport. Virtually all the top Caribbean & Asian baseball players are in the U.S. system (same goes for Europeans & Africans in the NBA), so your point?

Of course, the U.S. media will focus on sports that interest its readers. That's what media worldwide do. Otherwise, they will quickly go out of business! If & when rugby, cricket, cycling, & the like reach similar popularity in the U.S., they will get their due.

Comment

Working...
                                X