Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WUSA FOLDS!

Now that WUSA has folded, what will USATF do? Wasn't Phil Anschultz (the builder of the new Home Depot track, which will host the 2006 IAAF World Cup) a key WUSA investor? Is USATF capitalizing on this opportunity to encourage him to become an angel investor in our sport?

Comment

I think the money required for a full-blown league like the WUSA and the money needed to host a few track meets are not even comparable, especially since the track is already in place. I'd guess the Home Depot meet will definitely be going strong through 2006, the year of the (track) World Cup.

If you're anywhere near L.A. (or even if you aren't) do what you can to come out to the Home Depot meet, as well as the USATF Champs (2005) and World Cup.

Comment

I was thinking more about upping the prize money, & attracting more top-level athletes worldwide. The Home Depot prize money must be at least double its current level to do this. Precisely because it's much cheaper to toss money to track & field than to foot a soccer league -- with better bang for the buck -- is USATF making its case with billionaire Anschultz?

Comment

I do know Anschutz put a lot of bucks into the men's side of domestic soccer, but not sure he had anything to do with WUSA.

Comment

>And women CAN play basketball. At
            >least they're more entertaining than our distance
            >runners, & actually bring home some medals.

Because, like in women's hockey, no one else plays. It wouldn't be entertaining to watch Lance Armstrong take on some preschoolers on tricycles, either.

Comment

>Actually the WUSA suspended operations. They
              >didn't fold completely yet.>>

Everybody who believes that after yesterday the stake was finally driven through the heart please raise their hands. What do you think the ratings are going to be on that final now, about 0.000000002?

Comment

<Because, like in women's hockey, no one else plays. It wouldn't be entertaining to watch Lance Armstrong take on some preschoolers on tricycles, either.>

What planet do you live on? Nobody else plays women basketball and hockey?
                "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Bud Geracie in the San Jose Mercury News: "Nobody was paying attention to the Women's World Cup until the U.S. lost, and now fewer are."

Comment

Working...
                  X