Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who thinks the penalty for drugs is too light?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who thinks the penalty for drugs is too light?

O.k. without posting a previous message. I understand Garry's reasoning however, doing nothing because some countries will get pissed off accomplishes exactly that, nothing. With this approach we get us to where we are today - an abundance of skeptics and those of us who are hopeful that its not as bad as the skeptics claim, keep getting evidence to support the position that it is, in fact, just that bad.

The IAAF does have control. That is why they are there - to regulate the sport. They need to begin some serious regulation before its too late.

Comment

Wow, look at all the vitriol evinced by this subject. All in all, though the subject is significant, many posts ended up pissing in the wind. America, land of the free and home of the litigious, will always side with the offender. The liberals will say go easy, cuz it's not his fault (it's society's), and the conservatives will say too much government interference (restrainst of trade). I predict USATF always sides with the offender unless they need to 'make an example' of him every now and then.

Comment

Michael Lewis, I haven't got the foggiest idea what you are saying.I've been called many names in my life, Rosa Parks was not of them. All I said that things are not always black and white and the swift strike of the sword is not the answer for this complicated problem.
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

You're joking, right? hahaha - good one. We seriously hope.

Comment

Turner of the Creek,

I was never banned from Letsrun and actually am quite friendly with Weldon (we were just e-mailing the other day as a matter of fact). Don't know where you got that idea from.

Thanks,
            Michael Contopoulos

Comment

I find it hard to believe that so many posting here are so against drastic reform. It is obviously a huge problem facing the sport and it is now apparent that if something isn't done soon matters will get considerably worse.

It is obvious that those who are found guilty of taking performance enhancers do the sport serious harm and without severe consequences more an more athletes are willing to take the risk.

Comment

BTW,

If I'm the leader of a mob who's goal is to stamp out drugs in our sport... I accept the title. Thanks for your encouragement and support in this prestigious leadership position.

Michael

Comment

Enough! This thread has now ended. This is what doping talk always degrades into- he said/she said, he was thinking/she was thinking.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you're going to be knee jerk about doping (on any side of the issue) don't bother posting about it. It all falls apart because people on any side of the issue fail to respect the other side's valid points (and yes there are valid points coming from all sides). So the argument degrades and degrades until it turns into a useless bitching match. The bitching match is officially over. I've been on t&f lists and message boards since at least 1994. I've seen this a thousand times and it has all been said. Want to argue it out again? Do it with the wall. You'll get just as far with the wall as you will with any of the folks you think you're going against now.

If you want to continue this "discussion" take it off-line.

If you want to make a difference write WADA, write USADA, write IAAF, write USATF, write whoever you think has the power to cause change in sport, go talk to kids in school about doping, do something proactive for your stance. Don't bitch and gripe about it here. It is a waste of your time and energy and my time and energy. I could be enhancing the site, adding new features, and making the sport more enjoyable for you and for me or we could be reading something interesting we haven't seen on every t&f message board/list since the dawn of time. Instead I'm sitting here monitoring a discussion I've seen over and over and have known since it started would never come to any reasonable conclusion.

Ben Hall
                  T&FN Site Admin/Internet Editor

Comment

So you're saying that bitching and arguing don't belong on an internet message board?

Wow. Looks like you just reinvented the World Wide Web.

Comment

Maybe I can get a patent :-)

Comment

Ben you made a very salient point when you said that essentially a bunch of fans venting on a board doesn't/won't/can't come to much more than text in cyberspace. I think alot of people clearly feel extremely frustrated and powerless over what has happened within Athletics; to that extent the board represents one of the few places where we can come together and make some suggestions with others who share our concerns, learn something about some of the nuances of the issue, become better informed, and also let off some steam on the issue.

Comment

Ben,

Again, with all do respect, I've been on message boards for just as long and I feel like discussing such matters is very important. The reason is simple: It is OUR job to make people aware of the system and educate them on the reason things are the way they are and to brainstorm to come up with ideas on how to change the status quo. If you believe that a message board does not foster such creative juices, then perhaps the roll you have undertaken is not appropriate for you.

I agree with you... there is really no space for nonsense on this board. Leave that to Letsrun and Dyestat posters. HOWEVER, there is much in this thread that is good, and I, for one, have both stated my position on the subject AND asked questions to help me undertstand the issue more. My questions were never answered, which is unfortunate because I really would like to know why the IAAF cannot make athletes sign a contract binding them to an agreement that they will not dope. In an IAAF sanctioned race, aren't they the ones making the rules? Can't they do what they want? Tey have the power to reject athletes into their meet, they surely have the power to make those that run sign a contract. Maybe banishment from the sport should really be banishment from any IAAF sanctioned event.

Don't you think I deserve some answers to these questions? How can I, Michael Contopoulos, ever hope to change the system if no one is willing to explain to me why the system is the way it is and why changing it won't work?

Telling us all to basically shut up is rude and unprouctive. If anything, it makes me believe that you, as a representative of Track and Field in this country has given up hope at gaining supporters for a drug free sport.

If anyone ever wants to take something offline I have always signed with my real name and have my hotmail account attached to each post. Feel free to contact me.
                          Michael

Comment

> My questions
                            >were never answered, which is unfortunate because
                            >I really would like to know why the IAAF cannot
                            >make athletes sign a contract binding them to an
                            >agreement that they will not dope. In an IAAF
                            >sanctioned race, aren't they the ones making the
                            >rules? Can't they do what they want? Tey have
                            >the power to reject athletes into their meet,
                            >they surely have the power to make those that run
                            >sign a contract. Maybe banishment from the sport
                            >should really be banishment from any IAAF
                            >sanctioned event.

Don't you think I deserve
                            >some answers to these questions? >>

Michael: as somebody pointed out higher up in the thread, if you make somebody sign a contract that runs afoul of common law, it's not a binding contract. Several European courts have already indicated that they will not abide "restraint of trade." Not to sound bitchy, but when you get an answer you don't like, you don't hear the answer, which is why this thread got so contentious. There are certain unfortunate facts in evidence and you'll have to accept them as such.

Comment

That's it. I'm changing my handle. Too many Michaels out there.

Comment

Michael, you did not answer my questions as to what constitutes "drug use" in your opinion. Look at my entry <Tue, Sep 16 at 03:40:59 PDT>
                                I don'n want to hide behind an acronym either. I am Ivan Stanko, M.D.
                                "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                                by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                                X