Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5000 meters

Do you think EL G can challenge the world record in the 5000? His 12.50 time is great considering he has not run the 5000 that much.

Re: 5000 meters

I would say "wait until next year", IF El G had won the 1500 in Atlanta and/or Sydney. But since he did not, I would expect that he is bound and determined to take the Gold in the Athens 1500 rather than play around with the 5000 next year. No doubles for El G next year, just full concentration on winning ONE race at ONE distance in ONE meet. And I for one will be cheering for him to succeed.

Comment

I thought I read that he DID want the 1500/5000 Gold double in Athens. But I agree that he won't break the 5K record till he gives up on the 1500 primarily.

Comment

Torres made the 5000 meters final in Paris. He replaces Alan Webb as America's best distance hope.

It all comes down to making the finals.

Comment

What does Torres have to do with this thread?

Still Torres did a good job.

Comment

EL G would challenge the world record in 5000 if he gives up the 1500

Comment

Maybe the 1500 training is what will give him the edge. It was rather amazing to see how easy he looked striding through 5,000, since he's used to running so much faster. To take the 5 record down, it may take a revolutionary approach; just as the 1500 has become much more like the 800, the 5000 is replacing the 1500 as the cruise and kick race. (This isn't to say the training isn't different, just that the speedier guy who can hold that speed has a better chance at cracking the record.)

Comment

>Maybe the 1500 training is what will give him the
                >edge. It was rather amazing to see how easy he
                >looked striding through 5,000, since he's used to
                >running so much faster. To take the 5 record
                >down, it may take a revolutionary approach; just
                >as the 1500 has become much more like the 800,
                >the 5000 is replacing the 1500 as the cruise and
                >kick race. (This isn't to say the training isn't
                >different, just that the speedier guy who can
                >hold that speed has a better chance at cracking
                >the record.)

I agree. I believe with a couple more races under his belt he will be ready to do soem serious damage to the 5k WR. Very little change in training methods will be required from what he did to prep for the WC's. After his first 5 this year he said he still had some kinks to work out and needed to find his rythm at the distance. He is a very quick learner.

IMO the record will soon belong to El G.

Comment

Working...
                X