Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: track & field songs

Add to great misunderstood lyrics: I endured great humiliation in 1967, when I swore that the Doors song "Light My Fire" contained the line: "Time Me While I Win the Mile."

Unfortunately, it's "No time to wallow in the mire," which is far less inspiring.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

After 4 long years in the SEC (87-91) I'd be glad to hear anything but Rocky Top!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Last week Johnny Cash, now Robert Palmer. What's up witih that?? Now if we could only get the fickle finger of tate to point at Britney Spears instead!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

In the late 60's/early 70's there was a Top 40 hit song titled "25 Miles." The singer may have been Edwin Starr? and was to he effect that he had 25 miles of walking to get to his gal.

My wife heard a song on WFUV here in NYC a few months ago late on Saturday night. It was apparently by a British group and had lyrics something like "I love track & field..." She did not get the title or group but it sounds like it could be connected to the group near the top oif this thread.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Didn't Al Feuerbach sing a silly song on his guitar during his Basic 70's throwing video with the lyrics, "I've got the shot put blues"?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Written (and performed) by Al Feuerbach.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

In the 1980 movie about multi eventer lesbians trying out for the olympics, there was a song
    " Dianabol, why do we need it at all" I think its called the dianabol blues.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

stick to the subject !!

Leave a comment:

• hammer forever
    replied

Why does Randy from his September 17th posting and many others perpetuate the colloquial reference to the 16 lb. hammer implement, which consists of a ball, a 3' long thin WIRE, and a triangular handle, as ball and "chain"?
    In unrelated pet peeves, it is not Grand Central STATION but Grand Central TERMINAL. A station is a mid point, where trains go either direction. The building on Park Avenue and 42nd Street in New York City has on all its official literature and carved in marble over the entrance the correct term- Terminal!
    And I see many mistakes with useage of "complement" and "compliment".
    To return the discussion back to track and field, I would be grateful for any advise on housing for the Athens Olympic Games. Does anyone know if the neighborhoods around the stadium, "Marousi" or "Kifissia", would be likely places for reasonable housing?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

can't leave out "Hit Me with Your Best Shot"

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

One of my turns (The Wall, Pink Floyd)

.....Would you like to call the cops?
    Do you think it's time I stopped?
    Why are you running away?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Bob Seagers "Runnin against the wind"

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    replied

>Actually, Willie Banks's
    >headphones song of choice was indeed the
    >Stones

If I remember correctly, the guys who were commentating at the 88 US trials said that Willie Banks listens to Whitney Houston... (quite eclectic taste: Whitney + The Stones!)

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

>Triple Jump: the Rolling Stones "Jumpin' Jack
    >Flash">>

Actually, Willie Banks's headphones song of choice (and he was, after all, the man who pretty much invented crowd involvement with the field events) was indeed the Stones, but it was "Start Me Up."

<<If you start me up
    If you start me up I'll never stop
    If you start me up
    I've been running hot
    You got me ticking gonna blow my top
    If you start me up

You make a grown man cry
    Spread out the oil, the gasoline
    I walk smooth, ride in a mean, mean machine
    Start it up.........>>

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I think Manfred Mann's hit was "Runner in the Night", and may have been written by Springsteen?
    Supposedly Midnight Oil's lead singer (about 6-5 tall) was a 3:50 - 1500 runner.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X