X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can an average man run a 6-minute mile

>The average man can certainly manage a 6-minute
    >mile.

Are you kidding?? NO WAY can the average man manage a 6-minute mile! Heck, I doubt that the avearge man who jogs 3 miles a day can run that fast. I'm not that the average man doesn't have the POTENTIAL to run 6:00 with training, but the average man certainly doesn't have the training

Comment

I was having a similar discussion with friends the other day. Are the most potentially talented runners in the population running? In Russia, coaches from all sports used to evaluate children and pull them into certain sports, gymnastics, athletics, skiing depending on certain characteristics. To some degree they still do. Obviously that is completely wrong. I still wonder if many talented individuals are working on something else as far away from running or sports as they can possibly be. Just a thought.

Comment

"I was having a similar discussion with friends the other day. Are the most potentially talented runners in the population running? In Russia, coaches from all sports used to evaluate children and pull them into certain sports, gymnastics, athletics, skiing depending on certain characteristics. To some degree they still do. Obviously that is completely wrong. I still wonder if many talented individuals are working on something else as far away from running or sports as they can possibly be. Just a thought."

I don't know about other countries, but the the U.S. the answer is absolutely no. In this country, track is no competition for other sports.

Comment

From Allan Lawrence's "The Self Coached Runner" 1987
          PAGE 133.
          __________________________________________________ __

The 6:00 Mile or 5:31 1,500 Meters

You are ready to train for a 6:00 mile if you can run:

220 yards in 37 Seconds
          440 yards in 78 Seconds

__________________________________________________ __

(First few lines of text)
          The U.S. Army once had a run in its physical combat proficiency test. On the army charts, the maximum score (100 points) was awarded to mile times at or under 6:00 minutes flat. Not many young men in college ROTC programs could run that fast.

The most interesting part of the mile section of this book is looking at the workouts Allan Lawrence created for 3:55 miler Leonard Hilton. This chapter gives the synopsis on Hilton entire 1972 - 1973 season. It is amazing how many up and downs Hilton had until he finally beat Marty Liquori in the 1973 US championships. From the book I gather a potential 6 or 5 minute milers goes through the same ups and downs.
          This is the only book I am aware of that gives amateurs professional coaching advice. Heck, you can even try to attempt Hiltons sub-4 workouts. However, I believe Hiltons workouts are listed mostly to illustrate what it takes to be a world-class miler.
          Anyway below are the standards needed to begin training for a 4 minute mile.

The 4:00 Mile or 3:42 1,500 meters

Your are ready to train for a 4:00 mile if you can run:

220 yards in 23.8 seconds
          440 yards in 52 seconds

To run a 4-minute mile you need to average 60 seconds per quarter.

I wonder it anyone has ever used this book to run
          a 4 minute mile. It was first published in 1987.

Comment

"The 4:00 Mile or 3:42 1,500 meters

Your are ready to train for a 4:00 mile if you can run:

220 yards in 23.8 seconds
            440 yards in 52 seconds"

Not quite sure about this part. I could run these times in high school (they are pretty pedestrian times even for a high school runner), and there is no way on God's green earth I ever could have broken 4.

Comment

Re: 6-minute mile

<<17.5 MPH WOULD BE A 3;30 MILE, WHICH IS FASTER
              THAN GEB, EL G OR ANYBODY HAS DONE YET.>>

By my calculations, Geb averaged 6.32 m/sec, which is equivalent to 14.14 mph. At 14.14mph, a mile would be run in 4:14.35 sec.

El G's 3:43.13 equates to an average of 16.13mph

Comment

<Not quite sure about this part. I could run these times in high school (they are pretty pedestrian times even for a high school runner), and there is no way on God's green earth I ever could have broken 4.>>

Those times are the minimum requirement for a potential 4-minute miler. A 4-minute miler must have stamina and the ability to also sprint. If a individual runs a sub 52 second quarter in high school he is probably running the 400meters not the 1500meters . Unfortunately, there are a lot of 52 second quarters milers that should be running the mile. They go onto college and become mediocre quarter milers when they could of been excellent milers.

Comment

This is starting to sound like a reality series - "So you want to train with the pros"
                  This week our four contestants will attempt to run a "fast" mile with 10 weeks of training. Who will win!

Contestants

1. 39 year old (male) java programmer. Has not run in 15 years. Run a 3:15 marathon in 1985.

2. 36 year old school teacher (female). No running experience. Played both high school varsity softball and tennis.

3. 50 year old (male) former navy seal. Rest of life is secret.

4. 47 year old (female) former NY stage dancer. Has performed as a background dancer in shows such as cats. Now teaches dance and music at a local state college.

This months celebrity coach will be Steve Scott; US mile record holder and college track coach.
                  The identity of the contestants will be announced when show debuts. All contestant will have access to the US Olympic training facilities.

Comment

I would watch that show.

Comment

>"I was having a similar discussion with friends
                      >the other day. Are the most potentially talented
                      >runners in the population running? In Russia,
                      >coaches from all sports used to evaluate children
                      >and pull them into certain sports, gymnastics,
                      >athletics, skiing depending on certain
                      >characteristics. To some degree they still do.
                      >Obviously that is completely wrong. I still
                      >wonder if many talented individuals are working
                      >on something else as far away from running or
                      >sports as they can possibly be. Just a
                      >thought."

I don't know about other countries,
                      >but the the U.S. the answer is absolutely no. In
                      >this country, track is no competition for other
                      >sports.

Case in point: both Paul McMullen and Robert Gary played football in high school instead of running cross country. If they had played baseball instead of running track (and they both had the physical talents to do so) we never would have heard of them. One can only assume there are others in this vast nation with physical and mental talents just like theirs who aren't running and never will.

Comment

>One can only assume there are others in
                        >this vast nation with physical and mental talents
                        >just like theirs who aren't running and never
                        >will.

Some might even be Gallowalking.

Comment

<<I would watch that show.>>

So would I.
                          It is actually an idea based on human achievement. It is not about eating worms.

Comment

I'd bet the farm on the female dancer!

Comment

And I bet she could squat 2X her body wt, too!

Comment

Seriously, (or sort of seriously, anyway) back to a previous thought on this thread: why would anyone doubt that a 4 minute miler could squat 2X body wt? These are guys with the explosive speed to run way under 50 seconds at 400 meters, they are great athletes and they don't weigh very damn much to begin with. I mean, how much is 2X body wt for a typical 4 minute performer? Less than 300 lbs, I would think. Personally, I think it is more likely the average man on the street could squat 2X body wt with proper training than that he could run a 6 minute mile!

Comment

Working...
                                X