X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miler manque
    replied
    Re: Good points!

For a DC area track club, go to www.pvtc.com and clock on results for their championships.

Leave a comment:

• The Flash
    replied

I guess it depend on the event. Agreed most of this thread is talking about the longer road races, your 5 and 10k's. But Master's competition also includes sprints, throws, and jumps. Compare marks from 20-24 and 40-44 (or 50-54, for that matter)--it would just be interesting to see the difference in those events.

Leave a comment:

• miler manque
    replied

On second look, I think you're right, the times are better in Chatty than I gave you credit for. I'm sure you've got great runners there. But it's hard to compare a 4-mile race to the usual 5ks, 8 ks, 10ks run. Just taking a 6-minute mile pace as a standard, you had 8 24-year olds, then 4, 5, 4, but only 1 at 40 I believe. Percentage-wise, since it looked like a smaller race than many in D.C., the number below the 6-minute standards is probably very equivalent to what's seen in D.C. But a comparison to a more recent 5k in Chattanooga would be easier to do. There's no reason to believe things are faster in D.C. On www.runwashington.com, look at results for an 8/30/03 race, Kentlands 5k, where they've got the paces of the finishers shown. That course is a little hiller than most, and I think it should be an accurate-length course.

Leave a comment:

• BillVol
    replied

mm, I didn't see a whole lot of difference in the times b/t Chattanooga and DC area. Maybe I was looking at the wrong races, because I'm sure there is a difference. What is a good race I could look at to see the difference?

A couple of guys, BTW, in that race linked above (in Chattanooga) ran in college. Jamey Gifford ran at Stanford. Ben Phillips ran at Louisvile. Dwight Thomas at Samford U. in Birmingham. I believe Aaron Baird ran for Louisville, too.

Leave a comment:

• miler manque
    replied

I'm in the D.C. area. Go to www.runwashington.com for race results up here. Flatter courses, remember.

Leave a comment:

• BillVol
    replied
    Good points!

Now that's positive thinking. Actually, I wouldn't know how my body has changed into my late thirties because I've gotten away from running over the last five years. I've put on some weight, too. So I suppose if I had continued to run the way I did when I was 34, I'd be sensitive to the changes.

I've started to get back into running just lately. We ran Peachtree on July 4th. Just to finish it made me feel like I was getting back to my old self. My wife and I are just gently running and walking about three miles every weekday. Ten minute pace. It's going to be hard to get back into it.

What city do you live in btw, mm?

Leave a comment:

• miler manque
    replied
    Re: Re:

>I was looking at each age group as a whole. I
    >was thinking if you averaged out those times,
    >they'd be pretty close. But of course two
    >minutes is significant. I need to point out that
    >somebody is about to turn 40 and is not looking
    >forward to being referred to as a "master."
    >Could you play along, man? ;-)

You're looking at this entirely wrong! Turning 40 is a great thing, because you start winning stuff! Yes, you cringe when they call your name out, because you may not want the young things to realize you're that old (of course you look much younger than you are). But then you tell your significant other that you've got a $50 gift certificate to a nice restaurant and it's all worth it --

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: 40 year olds as Youngbucks?

>Interesting to hear of 40 year old athletes as
    >youngsters or youngbucks. Well, with some of the
    >"Outstanding" times being run all over the
    >world by some of these folks, we should all be
    >motivated to take up some form of exercise.>

Maybe the 20-24 year olds should be more motivated.

Tony - BillVol is trying to eliminate you. Watch your back.

In my experience there was a slowdown which occurred in my late thirties. For others it happens post 40 and others more towards mid thirties all other factors being equal.

Someone will now point out every exception on the books.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    40 year olds as Youngbucks?

Interesting to hear of 40 year old athletes as youngsters or youngbucks. Well, with some of the "Outstanding" times being run all over the world by some of these folks, we should all be motivated to take up some form of exercise. Bottom line is, Running fast and beating 20 year olds is Fun! Getting beat by a faster 50 year old athlete (I am 41) would make me even more motivated to get in better shape! Quit your whining and just compete!! At the end of the race, see where you stand!?

Young and Nieve

ty

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Masters gymnasts start at 14 I think.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

>Dutra, wow, you really got me, man!

Again,
    >road races aren't the Olympics! Road races are
    >road races. You don't have the best of anybody
    >out there.

By your logic, then, masters
    >should start at 35. Put the best 20-year-olds
    >against the best 35-year-olds and see who wins!
    >Why not start masters at 35?

Masters swimming starts at 25 I think.

Leave a comment:

• BillVol
    replied

Dutra, wow, you really got me, man!

Again, road races aren't the Olympics! Road races are road races. You don't have the best of anybody out there.

By your logic, then, masters should start at 35. Put the best 20-year-olds against the best 35-year-olds and see who wins! Why not start masters at 35?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

BillVol - lets put the best 20-24 year olds on the track or roads with the best 40 year olds and see what the results are.

Leave a comment:

• BillVol
    replied

I was looking at each age group as a whole. I was thinking if you averaged out those times, they'd be pretty close. But of course two minutes is significant. I need to point out that somebody is about to turn 40 and is not looking forward to being referred to as a "master." Could you play along, man? ;-)

Chattanooga is a small town but it has a good running community. The Chattanooga Track Club is old by Southern standards. Way back when they had the first Peachtree Road Race in 1970, a good chunk of the 150 or so runners was from the Chattanooga Track Club. The CTC puts on some good races and is very good for my old hometown.

Yes, some of the hills are ridiculous. The most famous one in town is part of the oldest of road race in Chattanooga: The Chattanooga Chase. The 8K race (it's actually a little shorter than 8K) has an ungodly hill about a half mile long that goes straight up -- the worst hill in any race I've ever run. Once you're up it, it's a nice coast to the finish, but getting up it is the problem! ;-)

Leave a comment:

• miler manque
    replied

Yes, I'm from a larger city, and our courses are flatter. I thought perhaps your Chatanooga courses are hillier.
    But do you really think a more than two-minute difference between your 40-year-old winner and the other age groups is insignificant? That's 30 seconds a mile in a 4-mile race; it's not like they're racing each other at similar paces. And going to 50 is even more of a difference.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X