Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is this year "wasted", when there are at least 25 more invitationals left after tomorrow:s Athens meet in which he can participate up through September?

Comment

Now it appears Ritz and Webb have temporarily swapped fortunes, in the precarious lives of world class runners. I love that Ritz is racing these 5ks. I hope the marathon does not derail him.
      http://www.mlive.com/sports/grpress/...500.xml&coll=6

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
        How is this year "wasted", when there are at least 25 more invitationals left after tomorrow:s Athens meet in which he can participate up through September?
        I wrote that "this is looking like a wasted year". I did not intend for this to mean it is laready a wasted year. But, that it is beginning to appear that it may be a wasted year.

You are right there are plenty of races left. But, he is WAY off form. Not simply jet lag off form - WAY off form. To be able to get back to where he left off last year would be amazing. Not saying it can't be done but it is looking much less likely.

If he doesn't recover form this year, I suppose it doesn't mean that this year has been "wasted" he did run one hell of a good 10k at the end of April. And has been taught another valuable lesson - if you wan't to be a miler train for the mile.

Comment

Amen, brother.

Comment

nothing wrong with running a 10k as a miler. preparation.
            the problem is maxing out on the 10K and then putting hard training on top before you're recovered.
            this is my best guess about what happened.

28 min flat and a weeks recovery would have been more traditional.
            but webb is looking to go into unknown territory
            good for him, but it's a gamble when you do that.

that said, at least webb knows he can run a decent 10k, which i'm sure is small consolation for what's happening now.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyril
              And why did they (Flynn) encourage Alan to run Pre when he told them he wasn't right? Very bad management from the get-go this year.
              Why did Flynn (not Raczko) still want Webb to run the Prefontaine track meet, Nike's crown jewel invitational?

"Bad management," maybe, but it ain't too hard to figure out.

Comment

Originally posted by jrun
                Originally posted by Cyril
                And why did they (Flynn) encourage Alan to run Pre when he told them he wasn't right? Very bad management from the get-go this year.
                Why did Flynn (not Raczko) still want Webb to run the Prefontaine track meet, Nike's crown jewel invitational?

"Bad management," maybe, but it ain't too hard to figure out.
                The question was rhetorical. Of course we know the answer. The problem is that it was stupid - short term thinking motivated by sponsor and money, resulting in long term problems. Flynn should know better.

Regarding running a 10k - no, running a 10k to prep for a 1500m season is not necessarily a bad thing but it isn't something most world class 1500 meter guys do either. For AW running a road TT in 29 flat to measure aerobic fitness would have been fine. But that track 10k was much too competitive.

Then, as mentioned over and over, the transition from the 10k to the shorter racing was not sufficient. That is three strikes.

Comment

Alan Webb has low iron issues?

So it turns out Mr. Webb had a medical issue this year I heard? Low iron levels?

Does anyone have details or updates?

US distance running seems to be in "resurgence mode." I'm predicting
                  Mr. Webb's 07 season will be a great one along with a slew of other US runners
                  both men and women!

Comment

Working...
                  X