Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get Your Guns Out!

"What I am proposing is to take blood and urine samples at all levels of competition over a number of years. Then we only test these samples when the athlete starts to win races at the elite level. If there are ten thousand amateur footballers and only 200 of them ever make it to the ranks of the professionals then we only need to do 200 lots of tests once they actually reach the professional ranks. Then instead of just taking a test on the day that the person wins in the elite competition we could then test the athletes blood and urine samples for the last ten years that are sitting in storage. It means instead of playing a cat and mouse game with cheats that ends when they win and pass or avoid testing, the authorities would have their blood and urine on ice not for current tests but for future tests. It adds an element of complete uncertainty to every drug cheats life that never goes away. One year, two years or even fifteen years after the initial drug taking they can be caught. And not only that but they can be caught with methods that aren't even invented now. I'm not a drug cheat and never will be but that would scare the hell out of me."

http://www.ratrobot.com/writing/sport/page4.html

I'm sure a few people will want to take shots at this.

Re: Get Your Guns Out!

I see no problem with that idea.

Comment

A problem I see with this is the changing state of the banned substance list, for example caffeine was just removed from the list so if I'm an athlete I can start drinking lots of coffee before races again, but what if the powers that be add caffeine back to the list in the future and they look at one of my old drug samples, it's going to make it difficult for the IOC, IAAF etc to add substances to the list...if they add a new substance they can't go back and retro-actively start testing for it, even if it's an old drug that the IAAF just became aware of (and thus added to the list). They're going to have to track multiple banned substance lists by year. I do like the uncertain position it puts the athletes in though. For example HGH has been on the banned list for years but they couldn't test for it until this year (and I think they only did it at the World Champs). It's almost a joke to have something on the banned list that you can't test for, unless you happen to catch an athlete with it in their gym bag or something. I bet a lot of athletes would think twice about taking something that's already on the banned list (like HGH) that can't be tested for now but probably can and will be tested for in the future on their current samples...

Comment

When do you propose to start taking samples? When the first child wins their first kiddie race at the local road race? If this is the case, I'm sure nobody would be clean with all the OTC medications that kids take based on the pediatricians and the IOC's infamous list of banned substances. Under this idea, we would all be banned or maybe all the records should just be accepted and no one worry about it. Before , I get jumped on, this is tongue in cheek. But this would be ridiculous and cost a fortune to start early with samples.

Comment

"But this would be ridiculous and cost a fortune to start early with samples."

In your opinion, unless of course you've costed it out already and have found it impossible to fund.

Comment

You really want to waste time and money on 5 and 6 year olds for something that has such a small chance of happening, i.e. them becoming a world class athlete?

This type of funding could be better used to promote the sport in this country than worrying about what some kid was given for a cold at a young age and would have no bearing 20 years down the road. Using this money to get a kid to a meet would be better spent than putting his/her blood or urine on ice for 20 years,

Comment

It would definitely be scary and I think it would stop people from using drugs. Another idea that might work in the future is a DNA sample.

Comment

I agree there would have to a reasonable and agreed upon starting point, and I agree that it would not be with children as young as 5 and 6. The thread is intended to be a starting point, hopefully for some productive discussion. In that respect it has some potential and there are some interesting ideas being put forward. Without pointing a finger at you, I called it Get Your Guns Out because I find being on this message board can be like trying to sort among those who are genuinely interested in thinking about solving some of track's problems, and others who merely want to respond negatively....and there ARE some here who are quick with the negative but I've yet to see them offer constructive suggestions.

Comment

Sorry Natasha I posted and found you had already, was replying to Dennis Kline. Dennis, I would be curious to know what is being spent by WADA, IAAF, and anyone else spending money in the war on drugs, and comparing this with a cost- estimate for the frozen-pee idea. And to answer your question, "You really want to waste time and money.....", I think there will always be some money spent (as there is now) which yields only spotty results. The current system is hardly a model of efficiency/effectiveness for catching/preventing drug abuse in athletics.

Comment

I didn't take it as you pointing at me. I had a similar discussion like this back in 2000 on the ESPN board during the Olympics. It gets to the point where almost no one comes up with constructive points. If anything, it should definitely start at the incoming freshman college level or age if they chose not to go to college because this is where the serious athlete begins to develop and if they have aspirations of going to the world class level, the temptation for improving performance through other means is readily avaialble.

Anyone who would do or think of using performance enhancing drugs before this time should have their ass kicked by thier parents, coaches, and anyone else who cares about them. But then again, some people may be dealing with people who do not care about the individual athelete but themselves and what it can get them having a superstar athlete.

I'm sure this will garner more comments too.

Comment

We WILL eventually (sooner than later) go to some sort of definitive blood/tissue testing to determine drug usage. Just need to simplify the process some more. DNA testing has become routine in just the last 10 years, so we're not that far away.

Comment

>curious to know what is being spent by WADA,

I believe when I checked the budget for USADA was 10 million US to test "all" olympic sports and the budget for WADA to test "all" olympic sports was roughly 25 million. In WADA's case they have not received but about 2/3 or so of this for 2003. This is not just for testing but for research and administrative overhead. I have no idea what it is for the IAAF. The bottom line when I look at it is it is not a huge amount of money relative to the billions in TV rights fees that are paid for televising the Olympics.

Comment

Big Brother is watching you

Comment

Working...
                          X