Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geb's Best Days Behind Him?

Lately, it seems that every time I browse T&FN's results and listings, Haile Geb has been usurped by his countryman Bekele. While I don't doubt - as I suppose few do - that he is one of the greatest ever, Geb is presently far from invincible. His 26:22 was set long ago, and his current marks are almost 1/2 minute slower than that stellar performance. No one can be in top form constantly, and his potential in the marathon is outstanding, but I think that his days of glory on the track are waning.

Re: Geb's Best Days Behind Him?

??
    26:29 not too long ago
    why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

I think 26.29, and 26.50 off 13.55 pace points to Geb not being very far at all from his best 10km form.
      There are just others who are catching him, while tergat used to be a rival to Geb he couldn't go at gebs pace then kick. Bekele can, and he does it very well.
      I think we are witnessing more people approach Gebs level more than him waning.

Comment

If Geb is in off-form he can finish his days running for the US team. We have already imported the world's best marathon runner why not import the world's best middle distance runner.

Can you imagine the sighs among US distance runners if Geb becomes a US citizen. I am sure he would not tolerate slow US Olympic trail heats.

Lets get both EL G. and Geb to run for the US!

Comment

Yes, exactly! Send Geb over here! We'd love to have has-beens like him. What a broken-down old wreck he is!

Comment

His 26:22 was set long ago, and his
            >current marks are almost 1/2 minute slower than
            >that stellar performance. No one can be in top
            >form constantly, and his potential in the
            >marathon is outstanding, but I think that his
            >days of glory on the track are waning.

You obviously missed the 26:29. He's got plenty of run left.

Comment

seen his race in brussels.
              26.29 and a win, but dropping the pace considerably because 2 kenyans on his tail and he didn´t want to bring the world record to them. ethiopia above all!
              what´s the US record anyway?

Comment

Clearly you didn't see the same race in Brussels that everybody else did. Every time Geb trusted the Kenyans to do the pace work near the end they let it fall off.

Comment

I was in Brussels for the meet and he did not drop the pace at all. In fact, he was pretty close to the target he set prior to the meet. He wanted to come by 5k at 13:10, and they came by in 13:15. From then on it was a terrific race between the Geb, Kemboi and Hassan, with Geb sprinting home with a 56.6 final 400 and Kemboi right on his tail.

Comment

Did you say Geb or Gabe?

Comment

of course his best days are behind. but his current days are pretty damn good.

Comment

Talk about the concept of eating your young! This board is brutal (say, whatever happened to that turkey?) in its treatment of the sport's stars. What have I done for you lately? Oh, 26:29 ain't enough? Holy shit!

Comment

10,000: Bekele!!
                          by Cordner Nelson
                          When a glorious past clashes with a dazzling future the present can be quite exciting. Haile Gebrselassie--representing the very best of the past--ran one of the most remarkable distance races of all time only to be outkicked 26:49.57-26:50.77 by Kenenisa Bekele, the very best of the future.

Comment

A word of thanks to Cordner Nelson. There were several sentences in his writeup of that 10,000 that were just beautiful. His summary of the race got the facts across, but conveyed more than that--a genuine love of the sport and a sincere enthusiasm for great performers and performances.

Comment

Working...
                            X