Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pathetic commentary by Dwight Stones on WCSN broadcast

Just watching the archived copy of today's Rome meet on WCSN.

The way he commentated on the races especially the sprints was just awful. No sense of excitement at all. In fact, he commentated as is he watched the entire thing and already knew the results. Even if this was the case, you don't let you audience know that.

I just couldn't fast forward through the event race fast enough.

Walt Murphy,

Please have them bring back the BBC commentators. They are 100% better.

I'm a DS fan, but I gotta agree with jammin - that was NOT good commentary. Was there no live English-speaking feed?

Comment

3rd member on the bandwagon. Some of the worst commentary ever.

Comment

I happened to really enjoy Dwight's wry wit in his commentary today. He had me laughing out loud at times. . .

Some of his gems during the broadcast:

On Italian long jumper Andrew Howe as he was the only jumper getting any camera time: "You'd think he was the only jumper in the competition today."

On finally getting a chance to see Dwight Phillips jump: "And here's Dwight Phillips finally . . ." and as the camera goes to the javelin, "or maybe not."

On the rabbit of the women's 800: "I don't know why she keeps looking back. It's really foolish to keep doing that. She's done her job . . .albeit not well."

On not recognizing Zulia Catalyud after she won the 800 and not having her on his startlist, a recurring beef of his that kept coming up during the broadcast of the officials changing up the bib numbers at the last minute, "I beg your pardon. I do beg your pardon."

On Brad Walker's final miss of the night: "And Walker misses, at what height I do not know."

As the cameramen flashed through the men's 800 runners at the start, and Dwight was trying to introduce the athletes: "They're not going to stop at any of these athletes, are they?"

Overall, you could just tell he was more than a little peeved about not having the proper information at his disposal, and he was taking jabs at everyone from the meet organizers to the cameramen.

I personally enjoyed the humor. It's good to get in a few laughs while watching a track meet.

Thank you, Dwight, for being your curmudgeonly self !!

Comment

Dwight's mom....er, fb....?

That you?

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
            I'm a DS fan, but I gotta agree with jammin - that was NOT good commentary. Was there no live English-speaking feed?
            My question is: when did the folks at WCSN find out that there would be no English audio feed? I got the impression that Stones had been drafted into the job at the last minute, and wasn't altogether happy about it.

Comment

Even if Dwight sucked today, he had done enough good stuff to qualify to get some slack cut. Give him a freaking break for crying out loud.
              "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

I think Stones had a lot of cards stacked against him from the beginning to put on his usual good commentary. First, the feed wasn't that great - most of the time it was hard to make out the athletes and their bib numbers when they were running. You could tell he got a lot better when it was a sprint or field event since the athletes could be more easily discerned. Then throw on top of that the bib number snafu where the bib numbers he was given didn't match up with what the athletes were wearing. So he is forced to rely on whatever Italian info is given to him or him just remembering what people look like - which again is really hard since he can barely make them out. By the 800s, you could tell he was clearly frustrated with the situation. Anyway, my feeling is if you are going to blame anyone blame the Roma feed not the commentator who did the best he could under the circumstances. I thought he did a good job anyway, Just my two cents.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that poor Dwight got thrown under the bus on the wcsn.com telecast...if he was calling the races from a studio with little or no help (I'm assuming he had no one in Rome to talk to between races), there's not a lot he can do.

Comment

Originally posted by paulmerca
                    I'm sorry to hear that poor Dwight got thrown under the bus on the wcsn.com telecast...if he was calling the races from a studio with little or no help (I'm assuming he had no one in Rome to talk to between races), there's not a lot he can do.
                    Agreed. Methinks too many people here are taking cheap shots at one of the best friends Our Sport has.

Comment

You know, hard to believe that Dwight lost his taste for Board participation.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        You know, hard to believe that Dwight lost his taste for Board participation.
                        I would be great to get fist-hand and up close coments from those who actually participate/comment in these evnts, but Its not surpring that MANY of those individuals choose not to post especially with some of the comments & name calling that flow around here. (Skeets has been called an ass, Dwight is continually dogged, and those poor sprinters...)

BUT, this is still the best moderated forum out there.

Comment

Your comp sub is in the mail :-)

Comment

Last year WCSN did the same thing. Had announcers at some meets and other meets had people broadcast from studios while watching the meets on TV.
                            Dwight and Larry Rawson have done the studio thing for years on ESPN and other networks but at least they had time to edit things. I can't imagine trying to do it live with no correct info.
                            Its not Dwight I am upset with.

Comment

I'm with DWIGHT on this one. While he may not have had a good night of commentary he was on his own for the whole broadcast. You need at least two people to commentate a meet. If nothing else so the other one can get all the correct stats together. This is the first time I have ever seen one person commentate for the whole meet. BBC commentary is better becuase they have at least three in the booth.

DWIGHT was screwed right from the start. i hope they can find him a partner soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X