Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What happened to these athletes?

Originally posted by G.Ahearn
    Anyone ever find out what happened to Dennis Carr??

Yes, I'd like to know what happened to Carr also...I ran against him in H.S. cross-country in 1961.

Comment

Re: What happened to these athletes?

Originally posted by oldvaulter
      Originally posted by trevorp
      I thought motherhood made female athletes better. Isn't that what turned Valerie Brisco into a world-beater?
      It would be very interesting to know, from compiled data, how true this may or may not be. Many women end their careers with childbirth, but some continue. Aren't both Lashinda Demus and Chaunte Howard-Lowe fairly recent mothers? They're both having great seasons this year. From comments I've seen, coming back from childbirth is quite a challenge, but those who do it seem to have the potential to be better than ever.
      I am not aware of any comprehensive statistical analysis of post-maternity covering the entire gamut of sports to exist. My observation has been that some (small percentage) of them become better, some remain the same, many (perhaps most) either never reach their pre-maternal quality or quit alltogether. If there is anybody reading this that would know of a decent study, I'd love to see it.
      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Re: What happened to these athletes? [merged with Rome]

I can't remember if it was confirmed as true, or just one of the myths from behind the Iron Curtain but it was widely "known" that one East German method was to impregnate the athletes as a way to change body chemistry, and once that was done the pregnancy was terminated. Too science fictiony?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          I can't remember if it was confirmed as true, or just one of the myths from behind the Iron Curtain but it was widely "known" that one East German method was to impregnate the athletes as a way to change body chemistry, and once that was done the pregnancy was terminated. Too science fictiony?
          Plausible... in the first trimester, the body starts making a lot of pregnancy adaptations that are beneficial to athletes, such as increased blood volume, VO2, etc. But most women also have morning sickness and other negative side effects that seems like they would counteract the benefits.

Snopes says undetermined: http://www.snopes.com/politics/sexuality/doping.asp

As far as the Snopes report goes, the lore mentions gymnasts doing it, and I find that highly unlikely. The adaptations seem like they would be most beneficial to endurance athletes, the downsides to a gymnast would far outweigh any upsides.

Comment

How about Sebastian Bayer and the ukrainian 3.30 1500 man Heshko?

Dennis Carr!! blast from the past...USC half miler?..around 1.47 for the 880?

Comment

I'm afraid that I might already know the answers, but does anyone know for sure what happened to the following?

Don Sage
              Tommy Skipper
              Cack Farrell
              Mary Jane Harrelson Reeves
              Joaquin Chapa
              Tiffany McWilliams
              Arianna Lambie

Comment

Originally posted by Charley Shaffer
                Tommy Skipper
                Retired. He's too young to rule out a comeback, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Comment

Originally posted by cubop
                  How about Sebastian Bayer and the ukrainian 3.30 1500 man Heshko?

Dennis Carr!! blast from the past...USC half miler?..around 1.47 for the 880?
                  Bayer competed in Eugene. Commentators said it was his first competition of the year.
                  http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Yes, he was injured indoors and this was his return meet. Pretty appalling performance, but at least he's back competing.

Comment

anyone one know where darold williamson is, he has no mark to his name this year.

some others that may have retired or may be struggling i dont know some help would be cool,

leonard scott
                      ottis harris
                      aziz zakari
                      andrew rock
                      john capel
                      lional larry

Comment

Zakari's still competing. He won in a small European meet at the weekend.
                        http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by gh

Maybe, it is as simple as the athletes coming to the realization; that the pain and exhaustion during childbirth (natural) pales in comparison to what they endure on the track.

Comment

I’ve asked the question before and I’m asking it again. What is up (down) with Pamela Jelimo?
                            Does anyone have any logical explanation for her sub par performance?
                            Seeing her in these meets is embarrassing...
                            Should her coach pull her from competition until she has regained top form? I think he should.

Comment

Working...
                            X