Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Gullickson Family

Those of you who follow prep track more closely than I may already be aware of this, but one of the top women's triple jumpers in the nation this year (43-1.4 nwi) was Cassie Gullickson (Brentwood Academy, Brentwood, Tennessee). Younger sister Carly played at Wimbledon this year, and they're they kids of Bill Gullickson a major league 20-game winner a few years back.

Re: The Gullickson Family

I would like to put in an order for one strand of DNA to splice into myself. Baseball, tennis, track - that covers a lot of athletic ground.

Comment

I wonder if they are related to the Gullickson twins of tennis fame (Tim and Tom, I think).

Comment

Brentwood Academy

On a side note, most feel that Brentwood Academy is largely responsible for the current classification arrangement in Tennessee HS athletics. BA is a tiny private school in the affluent Nashville suburb of Brentwood, but its football team would beat up on state powerhouses with enrollments of 2000+. I believe BA at one time had less than 500 students -- probably still does. BA is also situated less than two miles from public Brentwood High School. And the BHS principal didn't like all of his students being "recruited" to BA. After BA won its umpteenth state FB title (they've won many in girls and boys track, too), a huge uproar ensued and, led by the BHS principal, the TSSAA (Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association) split up public and private schools in playoff competition.

This is a terrible arrangement from the fan's point of view, especially at the state track meet when there are two or three guys who would make for a great race but are not allowed to face each other. It's just sad to me. But the egos of the public HS coaches and principals prevailed.

BA was also involved recently in a case vs the TSSAA that went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court. The case hinged on the question of whether or not the TSSAA is a state government entity. (I think.) BA prevailed in the case, as I recall.

Comment

Re: Brentwood Academy

Who ever said that those in charge of high school sports knew what they were doing?

Who wants to see 5 different state meets in track, simply because small school athletes can't compete against big school athletes? Lame!

California has the right idea when it comes to track: one state meet.

And don't get me started on all the stupid rules about athletes not being able to travel outside the state to compete...

Comment

>And don't get me started on all
            the stupid rules about athletes not being able to
            travel outside the state to compete...<

Is that why Gullickson didn't compete post season? In spite of that mark, I don't think she showed up at any of the National HS meets or the US Juniors. Anyone know why?

Comment

Already in England watching her sister play tennis?

Comment

"And don't get me started on all the stupid rules"

This may be another thread, but HS has a lock on planet Earth's institutional stupidity, and Florida may be one of the most anal. We DQ'd a girl pole vaulter (2nd at States) because she had a tiny elastic ankle band under her socks, then we DQ'd a boy runner from going to States because a teammate was cheering for him while running alongside him for 30m. Then there was the runner who won a race, took off his soaked shirt after the finish line, and was DQ'd. The officials here really believe that THEY are the show and the athletes are incidental.

Comment

Officials

I respect the work that 95% of the officials out there do, but sometimes, yes, they want to be the show.

A problem, however, is that if an official is charged with adhering to a rulebook, they have no other choice but to dq a team wearing off-color sports bras, earrings, watches, etc. It's the rulebooks that are at fault more than the officials, IMO.

Comment

<she had a tiny elastic ankle band under her socks>

I am curious. Under what rule was she disqualified?
                    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Who wants to
                      >see 5 different state meets in track, simply
                      >because small school athletes can't compete
                      >against big school athletes? Lame!

Wrongo, stat man! Some of us enjoy it

California
                      >has the right idea when it comes to track: one
                      >state meet.

Don't like it one bit, but there's not much about California I do like

Didn't we have this discussion months ago?

Comment

We did have this state meet discussion previously... and everyone with any common sense agreed that the California structure with regional CIF meets divided into levels based on school enrollment that funnel into a state meet with all the best athletes in the same race is best :-)
                        On another note, what is WORST in all states are uniform rules that have officials nit-picking over tiny infractions or inspecting bra colors... some of these rules border on sexual harassment. As an official, coach, teacher or spectator the last thing I ought to be doing is a runner's underwear inspection.

Comment

>As an official, coach, teacher or spectator the last thing I ought to be doing is a runner's underwear inspection.<

Sounds like a fun job to me. :-)

Comment

The anklet thing was MY daughter. She never wears jewelry, but on this occasion a classmate had given her a little elastic anklet for 'good luck.' So she wore it under her sock. After clearing 10' there was only 1 other girl left. She reached down to pull up her socks and the other coach saw the anklet and turned her in. The official at the pit dq'd that jump, so she took off the anklet, jumped again and made it. The other girl made 10'6 so she got first. ANOTHER coach (girl in 5th place) saw an opportunity to move his athlete to 4th so turned in my daughter again, saying she should have been dq'd entirely and she was. My daughter didn't even care about the 2nd place medal (she had already won the year before and repeated the next year) but cried that people could be so petty. We didn't appeal, because 'a rule is a rule' but that WAS pretty mean-spirited.

Comment

>I wonder if they are related to the Gullickson
                              >twins of tennis fame (Tim and Tom, I think).>

After several google sessions, I can't find anything to so indicate. But I'm no pro in that department.

Comment

Working...
                              X