Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So where does the X man go from here ?

what does he need to work on ?

Obviously he needs to work on his endurance more. He was completely spent after 300m. This is not surprising because he has not had a chance to focus on track for any lengthy period.

But more important I think he must work on his running technique. He needs to be relaxed while running. I am non an expert but that jerking motion of his is not aerobically economical. Look how smooth JW is ?. Its no wonder X-man was spent after 300 meters. He spent so much energy jerking up and down and flailing his arms. I thought LSU had an excellent track program :twisted:

Should he quit the 400 and focus on the 200. I say no. Greateness comes from doubling. Nobody remembers great 200m runners.

OK but even with all his technical deficiencies, I think he is still on track. he is where JW was 2 years ago. If he links up with a good coach, I foresee one hell of a rivalry between him and JW in 2 years time. This can only be good for track. But he has a long long way to go.

Its also good for him to receive a dose of humility this early in his career. Now he knows nothing comes easy.

Theres already a rivalry developing in the womens 100, mens 100 and in the distance events, bekele is no longer running away with. The 800 and 1500 for both men and women are wide open. Beijing 2008 should be interesting.

does X have sub 10 100m potential? he never did spend that much time with the 100m at LSU. is his weak starts due to his height?

looks like he will get massacred by Powell at the end of the month in the 100m.

Comment

X needs to keep doing what he's doing now. One loss doesn't mean he needs to change things. Powell will "massacre" everyone except Gatlin. The kid has run like this (multiple sprint) since forever & has had great success. The X-Man has created a lot of excitement in track & field & I hope he doesn't specialize in one event. I love the fact that we talk about him getting killed by Powell or Wariner. What would we have to talk about if he just did the 200m?

Comment

I would suggest he needs to decide what he wants to run NEXT year (presumably at the WC). Only 200? 100/200? 200/400? 100/200/400??!!

Spend the rest of this year HAVING FUN and marketing the X-Brand. Sew up some ad contracts.

Seein' as how the 100 is already occupado by TWO Big Guns, I'd pass on that. JW is a fiercesome opponent in the 400, but X hasn't really seen what he can do in that yet.

So . . . (I LOVE this Fantasy Coaching Camp!), we're gonna train for the 300 (!) for next year! We KNOW the 200 is the bag (WC-medal-wise), so why not go for the 400 also, for the experience, the strength, and the adventure.

The 2007 data will tell us what to do for the Really Big Shoe (RIP ES) in Beijing. By then he MIGHT be strong enough to challenge JW in the 400, and the 2/4 double seemed to work out nicely, income-wise, for MJ.

Feel free to contact me for the specifics on exactly what to think on other issues, XC! :-)

Comment

Carter Defeats Wariner!

(for USA Today Athlete-of-the-Week, that is)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics ... htm?csp=34

Comment

Rest!
            Cheers,
            Alan Shank

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
              I would suggest he needs to decide what he wants to run NEXT year (presumably at the WC). Only 200? 100/200? 200/400? 100/200/400??!!
              200/400. The only reason he ran the 100 at the NCAA is because the schedule did not allow a 200/400 double.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                Carter Defeats Wariner!

(for USA Today Athlete-of-the-Week, that is)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics ... htm?csp=34
                Note that they brush off his loss to Wariner by characteriziing it as "moving up in distance"

Comment

I believe Carter went home after Rome, and will come back for Stockholm (100) and London (200).

Comment

Originally posted by dl
                    I believe Carter went home after Rome, and will come back for Stockholm (100) and London (200).
                    i expect a <10.00 in sweden ( dragged to it by safa ) - don't be surprised if it's nearer the 9.90 end of the spectrum - i saw a 400m track for the 1st time in 2y this week ( went to try & buy a london ticket, but they don't sell them at the stadium/sports centre !? ) & just realised how long it actually is !

there is plenty of distance for him to exhibit that animal charge to hound safa

200 in london ?

who knows ???

Comment

For 2006 id say stick with the 200m. (not enough time left)
                      in 2007 do a different MJ "training style"
                      run more 100ms (early in the season) to improve top end speed.
                      then run just 200ms.
                      2008 run 200ms and 400ms.

Comment

It just occured to me that he's a big power runner, MUCH more suited to the 100 than the 400. Wouldn't the step down be easier than the step up?

Comment

Perhaps some of his size/muscle is residual from football. I'd think that an offseason with no football will yield a slimmed X-Man...perhaps 10-15 pounds lighter.

In terms of the 100....his top-end speed is there already....but his start has a lot to be desired. Even though I think he has low 9.8x potential if he trains specifically for the 100 and 200....his odds of anything better than a bronze are slim facing Gatlin and Powell.

I say:

2006: Continue to run all 3 distances (100, 200, 400) and determine his true combination niche (ie. 100 & 200 or 200 & 400)
                          2007: Focus on his 2 priority distances.....but perhaps run some races at the distance he won't try for at the '08 USA Olympic trials at the beginning of the season
                          2008: Run only his 2 main distances in preparation for the Olympic Trials and presumably the Olympics

I think if he chooses to focus on the 200 & 400...he'll be the favorite in the 200 and with the weight reduction from abandoning football...he'll be in the 43.3-43.6 range by '08 and co-favorite with Wariner for the 400.

Comment

IMO Carter needs not work on his top end speed that much. Its his endurance & his running style that is a problem. I would however advice him to to run too many 400s early in his career. Too much wear and tear.

Anyway he is just getting started now. He needs to get in the proper frame for T&F, work on minor details such as finding an ideal weight. And work on small technicalities that can make a huge difference. If he gets proper coaching and advice, the sky is the limit.

Comment

Originally posted by kamikaze7
                              Its his endurance & his running style that is a problem.
                              I'm sure his prodigious talent has given him the edge thus far in the 400, so the endurance thing is a definite, but as for running style, Bob Hayes in the 100, and Lee Evans in the 400 had that same 'jerky' motion that the X has - it's natural and may best be left alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X