Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• figo
    replied
    you guys should look at eldricks post regarding x-man 400.

throw away the last 400 he ran...
    the most similar athlete to x-man is probably M Johnson.
    but x-man may well be unique..... we will see.
    he's run the great 200, now he knows where he stands on that one.
    better to check out the 100 and 400 and see if he can double, find out which one..
    that is where the excitement and dollars are...
    and by the way he's going, either event does not hurt his 200 development.

X, keep on doing what you're doing.... but take a good holiday after the season and run less races.....

Leave a comment:

• jrun
    replied
    Originally posted by tafnut
    and the 2/4 double seemed to work out nicely, income-wise, for MJ.
    So, essentially you're forecasting a Carter/Wariner 200/400 Double Showdown?

(looks good on posters)

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by kamikaze7
    Its his endurance & his running style that is a problem.
    And I'm not sure his endurance is a problem. He held up pretty well at the NCAAs. While he faded a bit against JW, he did take second against a quality field. His fade may have more to do with the fact that he has run 50 or so races this year.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied
    Originally posted by kamikaze7
    Its his endurance & his running style that is a problem.
    I'm sure his prodigious talent has given him the edge thus far in the 400, so the endurance thing is a definite, but as for running style, Bob Hayes in the 100, and Lee Evans in the 400 had that same 'jerky' motion that the X has - it's natural and may best be left alone.

Leave a comment:

• kamikaze7
    replied
    IMO Carter needs not work on his top end speed that much. Its his endurance & his running style that is a problem. I would however advice him to to run too many 400s early in his career. Too much wear and tear.

Anyway he is just getting started now. He needs to get in the proper frame for T&F, work on minor details such as finding an ideal weight. And work on small technicalities that can make a huge difference. If he gets proper coaching and advice, the sky is the limit.

Leave a comment:

• Narrion
    replied
    Perhaps some of his size/muscle is residual from football. I'd think that an offseason with no football will yield a slimmed X-Man...perhaps 10-15 pounds lighter.

In terms of the 100....his top-end speed is there already....but his start has a lot to be desired. Even though I think he has low 9.8x potential if he trains specifically for the 100 and 200....his odds of anything better than a bronze are slim facing Gatlin and Powell.

I say:

2006: Continue to run all 3 distances (100, 200, 400) and determine his true combination niche (ie. 100 & 200 or 200 & 400)
    2007: Focus on his 2 priority distances.....but perhaps run some races at the distance he won't try for at the '08 USA Olympic trials at the beginning of the season
    2008: Run only his 2 main distances in preparation for the Olympic Trials and presumably the Olympics

I think if he chooses to focus on the 200 & 400...he'll be the favorite in the 200 and with the weight reduction from abandoning football...he'll be in the 43.3-43.6 range by '08 and co-favorite with Wariner for the 400.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied
    It just occured to me that he's a big power runner, MUCH more suited to the 100 than the 400. Wouldn't the step down be easier than the step up?

Leave a comment:

• pv22'
    replied
    For 2006 id say stick with the 200m. (not enough time left)
    in 2007 do a different MJ "training style"
    run more 100ms (early in the season) to improve top end speed.
    then run just 200ms.
    2008 run 200ms and 400ms.

Leave a comment:

• eldrick
    replied
    Originally posted by dl
    I believe Carter went home after Rome, and will come back for Stockholm (100) and London (200).
    i expect a <10.00 in sweden ( dragged to it by safa ) - don't be surprised if it's nearer the 9.90 end of the spectrum - i saw a 400m track for the 1st time in 2y this week ( went to try & buy a london ticket, but they don't sell them at the stadium/sports centre !? ) & just realised how long it actually is !

there is plenty of distance for him to exhibit that animal charge to hound safa

200 in london ?

who knows ???

Leave a comment:

• dl
    replied
    I believe Carter went home after Rome, and will come back for Stockholm (100) and London (200).

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by EPelle
    Carter Defeats Wariner!

(for USA Today Athlete-of-the-Week, that is)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics ... htm?csp=34
    Note that they brush off his loss to Wariner by characteriziing it as "moving up in distance"

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by tafnut
    I would suggest he needs to decide what he wants to run NEXT year (presumably at the WC). Only 200? 100/200? 200/400? 100/200/400??!!
    200/400. The only reason he ran the 100 at the NCAA is because the schedule did not allow a 200/400 double.

Leave a comment:

• Alan Shank
    replied
    Rest!
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied
    Carter Defeats Wariner!

(for USA Today Athlete-of-the-Week, that is)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics ... htm?csp=34

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied
    I would suggest he needs to decide what he wants to run NEXT year (presumably at the WC). Only 200? 100/200? 200/400? 100/200/400??!!

Spend the rest of this year HAVING FUN and marketing the X-Brand. Sew up some ad contracts.

Seein' as how the 100 is already occupado by TWO Big Guns, I'd pass on that. JW is a fiercesome opponent in the 400, but X hasn't really seen what he can do in that yet.

So . . . (I LOVE this Fantasy Coaching Camp!), we're gonna train for the 300 (!) for next year! We KNOW the 200 is the bag (WC-medal-wise), so why not go for the 400 also, for the experience, the strength, and the adventure.

The 2007 data will tell us what to do for the Really Big Shoe (RIP ES) in Beijing. By then he MIGHT be strong enough to challenge JW in the 400, and the 2/4 double seemed to work out nicely, income-wise, for MJ.

Feel free to contact me for the specifics on exactly what to think on other issues, XC! :-)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X