Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunn wins road race

After a disappointing showing in Paris Lunn seems to be in pretty good form. He is a shoe-in for the 2004 US Olympic team. How he will do in Athens is any ones guess. Making the 1500 meters finals in Athen would be great. I also hear Krummenacker finished second in a slow 800meter race in Asia.

http://www.mauinews.com/sports/story/09 ... le0921.asp

Re: Lunn wins road race

Why was it disappointing? Going in, how many on the Board figured he was going to as far as the semis? He kicked home in 53.9, absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. I'd say he did far better than most people figured he had a chance at.

Comment

He may be a shoe in because there is no one else good enough to make a dent on the international scence, save Krum. Once again, he may make the semis. If he does, great, but that would be nothing to get truly excited about. Make it to the finals, then I'll be impressed.

Comment

Considering his talent it was a mild disappointment.
        America's top miler should make the finals.

I am not knocking Lunn. He is after all America's top miler.

From what I have read it looks as if Krummenacker is going to run the 800 meters next year. There is now a sigh of relief among US 1500-meter runners. An extra spot just opened up on the US Olympic 1500-meter team.

Didn't Krummenacker run an impressive 1500 meters in London this year? Just like last year Krummenacker has run the fastest American times for both the 1500 and 800. That may not be saying a lot anymore. Today Krummenacker doesn't have to face the likes of Steve Scott and Johnny Gray.

Has US distance running gotton so bad that I have to over-praise Krummenacker. Still he is the best we got. Lunn is not too bad either.

Comment

Krum had an "off" year compared to last year: His indoor 800 win was excellent (although the time was relatively modest--but good for indoor) but outdoors his times for 800/1500 were slower and he did not race as well either.I could tell when Lunn outkicked Krum in the Home Depot meet in June that something was off.

Comment

Johnny Gray yet another great US distance runner from the 80's and 90's.

What year did he get his Olympic Medal?

Comment

Yes, I heard Krummenacker has been hurt this year. However, he is still the fastest US distance runner.

Running a 3:35 1500 at 90% health is impressive.

The only hope Lunn has at beating Krummenacker is in a slow tactical race. Lunn won that race because Krummenacker wheels were not a 100%.
              Normally Krummenacker and the Kenyans would blow Lunn off the track. That 3:31 1500 meter speed can come in pretty handy. Lets hope he recovers soon and finds that speed again.

Comment

Normally Krummenacker
                >and the Kenyans would blow Lunn off the track.
                >That 3:31 1500 meter speed can come in pretty
                >handy. Lets hope he recovers soon and finds that
                >speed again.>

Krums 2002 season through the 2003 Indoor season, based on the rest of his career, was the exception. Normally doesn't apply here.

Comment

He still show flashes of international speed that elude other US 1500 meter runners. That 3:35 1500 he ran in Europe this summer was good enough for third in a pretty strong field. A healthy Krummenacker will win 90% of the domestic races he enters. A fast first 800 meters by Krummenacker will be enough to lose Lunn in the 1500.

I am sure Lunn will be more interested than any of us if Krummenacker decides to run the 1500.

Comment

The rest of the story: Jason returned home from Europe after several disappointing races because he didn't feel well. After 3 weeks of rest, fluids,and light mileage, he started workouts with Gags. He was extremely fit in Paris and moved into the semis with minimal effort. Unfortunately, he was knocked off of the track into the infield at the 300 mark. When he returned to the track, he was in last place. He has beaten some of the finalists and knows that he can run with the best.
                    Krumm and Jason respect eachother, but they will not be the only guys with a shot.

Comment

Johnny Gray was 3rd at the 1992 Games in 1:43.97

Comment

. Lunn won that race because Krummenacker
                        >wheels were not a 100%.

Are you sure that your name isn't Larry Rawson? Every time that Jason beats someone, Larry is surprised. At Home Depot he made the statement that Krumm must be off his game if Lunn beat him. With 300 to go Larry states,"Lunn, struggling to hang on..."
                        If Lunn stays healthy, Larry, don't be surprised when he beats your current hero.

Comment

>He was extremely fit in Paris and
                          >moved into the semis with minimal effort.

It would have really been humiliating for Lunn if he did not qualify for the WC semis, since only 4 of the 28 starters from the heats didn't move on. Of those 4, 1 recorded a personal best and another a seasonal best, so they weren't high quality runners. In fact, another guy in Lunn's heat ran a 3:50 personal best in 8th place and qualified for the semis.

Comment

hammer head is dead right and I was dead wrong. Making the semis was something I almost coulda done :-) in Paris. And I even noted on an earlier thread somewhere about how ludicrous the procedure was. I still won't say Lunn's performance was disappointing, however. It was about what one would have suspected, given the circumstances.

Comment

<<Are you sure that your name isn't Larry Rawson? Every time that Jason beats someone, Larry is surprised. At Home Depot he made the statement that Krumm must be off his game if Lunn beat him. With 300 to go Larry states,"Lunn, struggling to hang on..."
                              If Lunn stays healthy, Larry, don't be surprised when he beats your current hero.>>

Larry Rawson is just making a statement based on facts. Krummenacker is simply a faster runner and should win against Lunn. Obviously, Krummenacker was not a 100% when he raced Lunn.

As Steve Holman once said - "a 3:30 guy will beat a 3:35 guy every time".

On a side note both Krummenacker and Lunn will be 29 next year. Lunn has only a few years to reach the elite 3:50 mile club. Even if he doesn't make that standard he has had a great career. Lunn will probably post 30+ sub 4-minute miles throughout his career. He may not be super fast but he is consistent, and deadly in a slow tactical race. Krummenacker certainly found that out this summer.

I still stand by my belief Lunn should of made the finals in Paris. Obviously, I have more faith in his abilities than other track enthusiasts.

Comment

Working...
                              X