Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lunn wins road race

I still think Lunn has plenty of potential. He has nice finishing speed and a good head for smart racing.

Comment

>As Steve Holman once said - "a 3:30 guy will beat a 3:35 guy every time".<

That's an astonishing quote. He, of all people, should have known that it doesn't always work out that way. If I'm not mistaken, he lost a number of important races to guys whose PR's were not within five seconds of his. And it works in the other direction, too. Just as Holman lost to guys with much slower PR's, Terence Herrington often beat guys with much faster PR's. A lot depends on the pace of the race, tactical skill, and sometimes pure guts.

Comment

>>As Steve Holman once said - "a 3:30 guy will
        >beat a 3:35 guy every time".<

That's an
        >astonishing quote.

I was going to react to the same quote. Good response.
        Larry doesn't announce a race, he predicts a race and then is disappointed if it does not go his way. Why was Krumm off, or hurt,or anything if he was beaten that day. And, what made it so obvious? If the winner is supposed to be the guy with the fastest PR, why have races? Krumm runs with a deisel engine, lots of power, smooth, strong and not likely to get a quick jump on someone. Also not likely to react to someone with a quick jump.

Comment

"America's top miler should make the finals."

That's where we keep going wrong. We don't say that the US's top hammer thrower or Steeplechaser should make the top 8, so why do we say it about the 1500? We seem to have this mythos that Americans are automatically great milers. Once we realize that we are only as good as the results of THIS year, then we may get some realism injected here. Right now the US is a second-tier distance nation. We don't get a bye into any finals (as the Kenyans SHOULD). The whole Webb/Krumm and now Lunn thing is about OUR expectations and how they've let us done. It's simply not so. They are individuals who are trying to get world-class and as such should have no more expectations on their shoulders than we have for a 240' US hammer thrower, who we hope will magically get to 270'. All these distance threads show how out of touch we have gotten with the realities of US distance running. If we look at the current US men's Marathon top 10 list, you'll see exactly what the true nature of the problem is. The turnaround WILL come, but not for a while.

Comment

I still stand by my belief
            >Lunn should of made the finals in Paris.
            >Obviously, I have more faith in his abilities
            >than other track enthusiasts.>

Pos Bib Athlete Country Mark
            1 908 El Guerrouj Hicham MAR 3:31.77
            2 457 Baala Mehdi FRA 3:32.31
            3 1352 Heshko Ivan UKR 3:33.17
            4 813 Korir Paul KEN 3:33.47
            5 1106 Silva Rui POR 3:33.68
            6 384 Estévez Reyes ESP 3:33.84
            7 984 Liefers Gert-Jan NED 3:33.99 (SB)
            8 460 Chouki Fouad FRA 3:34.05
            9 1189 Shabunin Vyacheslav RUS 3:34.37
            10 820 Songok Isaac KEN 3:34.39
            11 399 Parra Roberto ESP 3:35.02 (PB)
            12 388 Higuero Juan Carlos ESP 3:38.49

Which guy was 'should' he have beaten?

Comment

>He still show flashes of international speed that
              >elude other US 1500 meter runners.>

Lunn has more ability to accelerate quickly than Krum does. With the exception of the 2002 outdoor and 2003 indoor seasons that has always been a problem for Krum.

That 3:35 1500
              >he ran in Europe this summer was good enough for
              >third in a pretty strong field. A healthy
              >Krummenacker will win 90% of the domestic races
              >he enters.>

If Lunn's in the race I think that's a bit high.

Comment

. A healthy Krummenacker will win 90% of the domestic races he enters.>

If Lunn's in the race I think that's a bit high.

Agreed. What do you think that David would say?

Comment

Which guy was 'should' he have beaten?

Answer:

12 388 Higuero Juan Carlos ESP 3:38.49

Comment

David would say I am not sure if I am running the 1500 next year. He has made it clear that the 800 is his favorite race. Even his agent said he hates running the mile.

Comment

>Which guy was 'should' he have
                      >beaten?

Answer:

12 388 Higuero Juan Carlos
                      >ESP 3:38.49>>

Except that the 3:38.49 is what the Spaniard ran in the final. His seasonal best was 3:31.81 against Lunn's 3:36.99. In head-to-head races, if you want to bet on Lunn I'm eager to grab some of your coin. That's a 5.38-second differential man!

Comment

<Lunn has more ability to accelerate quickly than Krum does. With the exception of the 2002 outdoor and 2003 indoor seasons that has always been a problem for Krum.>

If this is so why is Lunn's pr only 3:55 for the mile. I think you mean Lunn can accelerate off a slow pace better.

Lunn PRs for the 800 is only 1:48 and it is amazing he can run a 3:35/3:38 1500. We all know how fast Krummenacker is at the 800.

Watch out for Berryhill next year. He already has beaten Lunn in a fast race in Europe this year.

Olympic Trail Final picks.

Krummenacker - 3:38 (if he runs)
                        Lunn - 3:42
                        Berryhill - 3:42.55

Lets hope these guys get the A standard. Remember, Scott, Spivey, and Byers never had a problem getting the Olympic standard.

Look at how much faster US milers where 15-20 years ago. John Gregorek didn't even consider the mile his marquee event!

3:47.69 Steve Scott 1982
                        3:48.83 Sydney Maree 1981
                        3:49.31 Joe Falcon 1990
                        3:49.80 Jim Spivey 1986
                        3:50.34 Todd Harbour 1981
                        3:50.60 Steve Holman 1996
                        3:50.84 Tom Byers 1982
                        3:51.1 Jim Ryan 1967
                        3:51.34 John Gregorek 1982
                        3:51.39 Richie Harris 1984

By 1984 the US Olympic 1500 meter trails would
                        feature at least 5 sub 3:52 milers.

Comment

<Except that the 3:38.49 is what the Spaniard ran in the final. His seasonal best was 3:31.81 against Lunn's 3:36.99. In head-to-head races, if you want to bet on Lunn I'm eager to grab some of your coin. That's a 5.38-second differential man!>

Now you know why so many in the track media want Krummenacker (3:31 pr) to run the 1500.

When did this French and Spanish miling renaissance start. These guys are smoking. No Paulie it is not drugs!

Comment

When my blood pressure gets too low, I'm going to log onto this site and read the half truths written by close minded, opinionated fans who would rather talk than learn. It will be cheaper than pills.

Comment

We are merely stating statistical facts. How is that opinionated?
                              It is a fact US milers were faster 15-20 years ago.

It also a fact the Krummenacker is the fastest US 800 and 1500 meter runner. However, Lunn was the highest ranked American in the 1500 meters internationally. I believe he was ranked 31st in the world this year.

The aforementioned statements are facts not opinions.
                              However, we can use these facts to make predictions on how a certain runner will do.

Comment

When did this French and Spanish miling renaissance start. These guys are smoking. No Paulie it is not drugs!

What stat list did this come from?

Comment

Working...
                                X