Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting 300LH to 300IH Times?

Does anybody know what the "official" formula is for converting times from the 300 LOW hurdles to 300 Intermediate Hurdles... we are trying to update our school track record board.

I assume you would add a small amount of time-- similar to the standard .9 seconds for 100 yard dash to 100 meter dash convertion.

Thnaks for any insight.

FS

Re: Converting 300LH to 300IH Times?

A conversion may exist, but I would say that you avoid using it. Keep the 300LH record listed as a discontinued event and start a new record for 300IH. LH and IH are completely different creatures.

Comment

I'm willing to bet NO conversion exists because the variables lie in the individual athlete more than the track. At best there is empirical evidence from athletes who ran both in the same year, not a very large data pool. I agree with the 'discontinued' stance. We tried to do that when our HS went from the 220y LH to the 180yLH. It was unsatisfactory.

Comment

No, there is no suitable conversion available (if there was, it would appear in the Big Green Book). To echo tafnut, there are two things at play here:

*The fact is that when you change the height of hurdles (unlike tweaking the race distance by a manageable amount) you change the whole nature of the event. Too use a reductio ad absurdum, a 7-foot-5 guy isn't going to notice the hurdles at either height. A 5-foot-5 guy just might be able to slither over a low hurdle but sings soprano after the intermediates. But even in a normal range of heights, it can make a significant difference.

*Not enough people ever ran both the LH and IH to generate a usable database. You don't necessarily have to have the same people, but when you get an event like the 300LH that was run so infrequently, you can't just compare the all-time lists.

Give your LH person 10 years in the sun as holder of the "discontinued" record then consign the whole event to the trash heap of history. The other option, of course, is simply to find somebody fast enough to run faster over the higher hurdles! :-)

Comment

Bring on the 200 39" hurdles!

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. Good insight.

FS

Comment

Working...
            X