Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European Heatwave

I'm not really sure if this is a T&F topic or not. I guess the mods will move or nuke it as necessary.

From an article here on the BBC news website:
    Europe's heatwave claims victims
    In the Netherlands, an annual walking event in the city of Nijmegen had to be called off at the half-way stage after two walkers died of heatstroke.
    Does anybody know if this was an actual race walking event, or something non-competitive?

Tragic but it has been that warm here for days and the humidity is worse. Just means that I run a bit earlier in the morning. And that is only because my running partners are insisting. I couldn't care less.

Comment

Well, it looks like our national championships will for once take place in perfect conditions - at least for sprints and field events. 30 degrees and no rain is the forecast for each of the 3 days of competition.
      Most of the time whenever a significant T&F event is taking place in Poland you can safely bet it will be cold and rainy ;-)
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

walk over

In Netherlands it must be the annual 4-day walking event. About 30 miles each day and 40.000 participants.

Comment

walk over

In Netherlands it must be the annual 4-day walking event. About 30 miles each day and 40.000 participants.

Comment

Re: walk over

Originally posted by observer2
            Wow. With those numbers, I'm not at all surprised that some people had serious (or fatal) trouble...

Comment

they walk for 4 days? why??????????????? don't they have a life????

Comment

Originally posted by piaba
                they walk for 4 days? why??????????????? don't they have a life????
                Agreed. They could be spending all that time posting here.

Comment

do i detect a hint of sarcasm there, conor?

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
                    Well, it looks like our national championships will for once take place in perfect conditions - at least for sprints and field events. 30 degrees and no rain is the forecast for each of the 3 days of competition.
                    Vanuatu has a three day T&F championship?? Total population is around 200,000. How many T&F athletes in that group??

Comment

vanuatu, poland, you silly...

Comment

We have been enjoying 106-109 temps here in the Indian Territory this week and, I confess, I stay inside in A/C comfort, venturing out in the balmy 94 degree dusk for a quick bike tour of the "hood"

A quarter century ago, when I was a serious runner, I worked out every day in 100+ temps with no detrimental effects and felt great. It really makes you sweat.
                        Wonder wha hoppen?

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                          A quarter century ago, when I was a serious runner, I worked out every day in 100+ temps with no detrimental effects and felt great. It really makes you sweat.
                          Wonder wha hoppen?
                          "We're a generation of men raised by women."

/Sorry

Comment

Working...
                          X