Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New WADA Rules

Here's an interesting story from this morning's paper, which has this conclusion:

<<.... as WADA cleans up drug testing, the Olympic movement has this reality to face: It stripped a Romanian girl of her gold medal because of a substance that is no longer banned, and it returned a gold to a Canadian who tested positive for a substance that has been reaffirmed as illicit. That's quite a mess.>>

For the full story (SF Chronicle):

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1U15A1.DTL

Re: The New WADA Rules

Yes it's a big mess Gary. Sorry, it's BEEN a big mess. Would this qualify as an inconsistent application of rules/procedures/principles?

Comment

While I applauded the creation of the WADA, I certainly have to question its motives since Dick Pound became the organization's head.

Lately, the various actions undertaken by the WADA clearly have a political agenda that is oriented more to punishing athletic (not only track & field) federations than punishing the athletes guilty of violations.

The latest actions also underscore the fact that folks within the various athletic organizations want to go back in the past and punish transgressors for the athletic wrongs committed. I say this, you keep up digging up stuff, you're going to get more bones and other messes that will not easily go away.

It's commendable that the WADA is committed to keep performance-enhancing drugs out of sports. The punishment should fit the crime when proven. However, the policies for disclosing violations and carrying out punishments should be reviewed; especially involving those countries that have legal presumptions of innocence until proven guilty.

Until those policies are tweaked, you will continue to have more messes.

Comment

I didn't mean, of course, by anyone other than the IOC. They are the only ones who don't act consistently, never of course the IAAF.

Comment

"The latest actions also underscore the fact that folks within the various athletic organizations want to go back in the past and punish transgressors for the athletic wrongs committed"

Not particularly. They've decided to ignore an entire unhappy chapter in Olympic/athletics history. The IOC ruled in 98 that there would be "no rewriting of history" re: whether East German athletes would be stripped of medals (at the behest of a group of British athletes, though such requests were hardly limited to Brits), despite the irrefutable evidence that the DDR systematically doped its young athletes for nearly 2 decades. For more information see link below.

http://abcnews.go.com/onair/2020/2020_0 ... ature.html

Comment

>Here's an interesting story from this morning's
            >paper, which has this conclusion:

Interesting maybe. Accurate. I don't know. Someone has it wrong. From the article:

"Although the International Olympic Committee banned pot, the skiing federation, which oversaw snowboarding, had not clarified its rules on the subject."

From a publication that follows the sport(written then):

"There are no official IOC "doping" rules concerning marijuana. Instead, the testing for marijuana is an International Ski Federation (FIS) rule which sets a 15 nanogram limit."

http://classic.mountainzone.com/olympic ... 2-12a.html

As an aside, the second hand smoke argument sure looks reasonable compared to some of the nonsensical defences that we have heard of late.

Comment

Some further links to relevant information:

http://abcnews.go.com/onair/2020/2020_0 ... ature.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/special_repo ... /47692.stm

http://www.ratrobot.com/writing/sport/page2.html

http://www.undelete.org/woa/woa12-14.html
              "B., 12-14-1946, Ruth Fuchs - German athlete.
              RF won the javelin throw gold in the 1972 and 1976 Olympics. She set six world records in javelin competition.
              Unlike most athletes, she took an interest in politics and was a member of the German parliament. Later she admitted using steroids as part of the official East German sports program."

Comment

One of the reasons it makes some sense not to open the books on the East German athletes is that the end of the existence of the GDR coincided with the initiation of out-of-competition drug testing by the IAAF. Before then, it is reasonable to presume that not only were the East Germans taking steroids, but so were a lot of others, perhaps the majority of those who were the greatest competitive threats. Without out-of-competition testing, it was very easy to escape detection. The IAAF started its program the same year the Berlin wall fell. Opening up the past would have been a can of worms for everyone and would not have helped the sport. Let it be. Move on.

Comment

"Let it be. Move on."

As you can see from my post I was commenting on the following assertion:

"The latest actions also underscore the fact that folks within the various athletic organizations want to go back in the past and punish transgressors for the athletic wrongs committed"

Some athletes have come forward and asked if they could have the medals they should have won. I don't agree with you. Set it right where possible and move on would be better. Many people strenuously resist any suggestions to the latter. To them I say, thank you for sharing.

Comment

Well, ain't life strange? Y'all are ramblin' on about punishing the sneaky people of the world, and here I am, sittin' in the Hall of Fame cuz of my ability to throw a spitball. And I'm a dad-gummed folk hero for being able to get away with it. Track folk shore do think funny.

Comment

>"Some athletes have come forward and asked if they could have the medals they should have won. I don't agree with you. Set it right where possible and move on would be better.<

But how do you do that and be fair? Ruth Fuchs supposedly admitted that she used steroids. The silver medalist in 1972 was also from East Germany. Do you think she was clean? I've no idea. What about the bronze medalist, an American. Are you sure she never took drugs? I'm not. How would you find out all these things 30 years later? Setting things right is easier said than done and the very process of trying could cause harm to innocent athletes and to the sport. Again, let the past be the past. And let's move on.

Comment

Interesting how age differences can change perception of what something says. My 15-year-old, who sometimes surfs the site with me, looked at the subject line for this thread and saw the word "rules" as a verb, where for me it was a noun.

Comment

Working...
                        X